Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:29 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

Just when I think the DOJ couldn't get stupider they go and do something that reinforces even more strongly my belief that their stupidity can sink even lower, to wit:

Canada's "Marijuana is legal" law just went into effect.

In response US border agents have been instructed to ask Canadians attempting to cross the border,"Do you admit to having consumed marijuana in the past?" If the Canadian answers "Yes" or refuses to answer US Customs agents are allowed to search a person’s belongings for evidence of past drug use, including their cell phone and then, even if they find no MJ or any evidence of MJ use, are allowed to deem the Canadian inadmissible to the United States if they admit to having consumed marijuana in the past. And this could extend for the life of the Canadian.

As I said, just when you think the DOJ couldn't sink any lower they go and prove you wrong.

Quote:
Canadians could be banned from the US forever if they smoke legal pot
https://www.foxnews.com/us/canadians...moke-legal-pot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 01:54 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
This isn't new, but the recent legalization has brought it to the surface.

In 2007, a Canadian professor was forever barred from visiting his kids in the USA when a random inspection at the border caught him. His infraction? Turns out one of the guards Googled his name and discovered an article published by him in 2001 in which he wrote about taking LSD in 1967.

That article, which was published in ‘Janus Head: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature, Continental Philosophy, Phenomenological Psychology, and the Arts’, was enough to get him permanently banned from entering the USA.

It is one of the terrible repercussions this country has to deal with because of the continuing War on Drugs.

https://animamrecro.wordpress.com/20...g-lsd-in-1967/

Old 11-07-2018, 01:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
They were asking this question way before it became legal in Canada. The irony for people in my area, is that it was legal in Washington State where we cross, before it was legal in BC.

Most Canadians know how zealous US border guards can be, and should know the rules before they attempt to cross. Same with coming into Canada.

An Alberta man visiting the Vancouver area was issued a $220 ticket, because the police saw a marijuana pipe, with marijuana in it, sitting in his car. The man didn't appear to be high, but the police stated that the new laws make it clear that what he did is illegal.

There was a lot of information put out by the federal and provincial governments, including pamphlets in the mail, explaining the new law and where to get more information. Crossing the border was part of that information.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Just when I think the DOJ couldn't get stupider they go and do something that reinforces even more strongly my belief that their stupidity can sink even lower, to wit:

In response US border agents have been instructed to ask Canadians attempting to cross the border,"Do you admit to having consumed marijuana in the past?" If the Canadian answers "Yes" or refuses to answer US Customs agents are allowed to search a person’s belongings for evidence of past drug use, including their cell phone and then, even if they find no MJ or any evidence of MJ use, are allowed to deem the Canadian inadmissible to the United States if they admit to having consumed marijuana in the past. And this could extend for the life of the Canadian.

As I said, just when you think the DOJ couldn't sink any lower they go and prove you wrong.

Good, we don't need more, dirty drug-addled white people in this country. #duckwhitey

Old 11-07-2018, 02:15 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:

DOJ? Really? Who is stupid? CBP is part of what organization? Plus CBP is a federal agency enforcing federal law and federally dope is illegal.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:22 PM

14,216 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:

US Customs have been asking these questions long before Canada making marijuana legal.

even if you answer "no" to the marijuana question, US Customs can still send you to secondary for baggage search if they sense that you are being deceitful.

you thread title is extremely misleading. Your title makes it sound as if smoking marijuana in the past is a ground for deny entry into US . No, in possession of marijuana at an international Port of Entry while seeking admission into US is ground for deny entry into US.

Also, CBP (Customs) is part of Department of Homeland Security not DOJ (Department of Justice)

Old 11-07-2018, 02:29 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
US Customs have been asking these questions long before Canada making marijuana legal.

Also, even if you answer "no" to the marijuana question, US Customs can still send you to secondary for baggage search if they sense that you are being deceitful.

Also, you thread title is extremely misleading. Your title makes it sound as if smoking marijuana in the past is a ground for deny entry into US . No, in possession of marijuana at an international Port of Entry while seeking admission into US is ground for deny entry into US
It is. Admission of previous drug use labels you as an offender.

If a traveler admits to past use of any illegal drugs, including marijuana, the traveler will be found to be inadmissible into the United States. CBP typically will allow them the opportunity to “voluntary withdraw” from the border — or face an “expedited removal.” Whether or not the traveler enters the U.S., a record will be kept by CBP and that traveler will not be allowed to return to the U.S. - Todd Owen, Executive Commissioner, Office of Field Operations, CBP

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-border-783260

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjse.../#336039cc2b1d

Old 11-07-2018, 02:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:

Lol--idiots.

I'm not so sure this is the DOJ's idea. Trump the control freak has to be in charge of weed also. He's been lying and pretending that he's in favor of relaxing the weed laws. But in secret, he's trying to stop it.

"...On Wednesday, online news site BuzzFeed reported that the Trump Administration is engaged in a "secret war on weed." BuzzFeed stated that the Marijuana Policy Coordination Committee told multiple federal agencies to submit "data demonstrating the most significant negative trends" about marijuana use. The goal appears to be to try to prevent further support for relaxing federal anti-marijuana laws...."

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...ail-marij.aspx

Old 11-07-2018, 02:32 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Good, we don't need more, dirty drug-addled white people in this country. #duckwhitey

The BigPharma lobby wholeheartedly disagrees!

Old 11-07-2018, 02:35 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Lol--idiots.

I'm not so sure this is the DOJ's idea. Trump the control freak has to be in charge of weed also. He's been lying and pretending that he's in favor of relaxing the weed laws. But in secret, he's trying to stop it.

"...On Wednesday, online news site BuzzFeed reported that the Trump Administration is engaged in a "secret war on weed." BuzzFeed stated that the Marijuana Policy Coordination Committee told multiple federal agencies to submit "data demonstrating the most significant negative trends" about marijuana use. The goal appears to be to try to prevent further support for relaxing federal anti-marijuana laws...."

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...ail-marij.aspx
That is old news, especially in a world that moves as fast as Trump's does:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...s-gop-lawmaker

Quote:
“I have been talking to people inside the White House who know and inside the president’s entourage... I have talked to them at length. I have been reassured that the president intends on keeping his campaign promise.”

Rohrabacher says the president has spoken in support of legalizing medical marijuana on the federal level – and leaving the question of recreational marijuana use up to the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies