Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 01:27 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,103,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
Nothing in that link shows that Obama cancelled Chris’ press credentials. Only that he snubbed him by refusing to grant an interview on health insurance reform after Fox chose to air an episode of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ over Obama’s joint address to Congress on healthcare.

So it certainly seems you’re onto something here.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 01:28 PM

13,231 posts, read 21,853,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Also, Obama cancelled the press credentials of Chris Wallace of Fox News while he was president.
This is false information you are spreading.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
As an independent that believes that what is best for this country is representation from both liberals and conservatives with compromises made on both sides, this is a very concerning progress of free speech.

Republicans/GOP/conservatives should be very concerned of the precedence this sets. There is a good chance in our future a far left president could do the same to conservative press. We are by nature a country that has peoples' of varied views.... It is important that everyone (whether or not they get what they want) is heard. The press represents the concerns of the people.

When you have large groups of people who have no voice in the process and see no alternative choice, the one choice they often choose is a path to violent conflict..

Remember.... The White House is the People's House.
I get where you're coming from, but Acosta has become a diva and I have no problem with him being banned permanently and CNN putting someone else in place. This isn't a one-off, this has been an ongoing situation where Acosta has been disruptive and expecting more time. I don't care who holds the office or which news outlet a member of the White House press corp represents - this is unacceptable.

Quote:
Apparently some people have already forgotten Barack Obama's very open war against Fox News. Also, Obama cancelled the press credentials of Chris Wallace of Fox News while he was president.

So anyone who wants to express concern about precedents being established on this issue will want to express concern about the precedents that President Obama set.
The Obama administration was punitive to journalists but I don't recall this happening and I don't think Obama had an Acosta he had to deal with among the press corp.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:41 PM

18,496 posts, read 8,322,825 times
ok....

"Things did come to a head in 2009 when the administration’s antipathy towards Fox resulted in the attempted omission of Fox News from the press pool at interviews, managed by the Treasury department, related to executive pay. Other press pool members protested as a matter of principle, refusing to participate if Fox News was omitted. The administration relented, and Fox News was not blocked."

https://www.quora.com/Did-Obama-real...edia-briefings

Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,406,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Link?

Some people are allergic to facts.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/09/ob...he-free-press/
How is snubbing an interview with Fox network - while appearing on many others - at all the same as Trump and Jim Acosta's altercation? Trump doesn't "snub" ONE network, he only cozies up to a SINGLE network - and Hannity joins him onstage - a complete sycophant. Hannnity is actually not even a journalist - journalists don't go to bed with politicians. Hilarious straining to find the parallels.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:16 PM

13,231 posts, read 21,853,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
ok....

"Things did come to a head in 2009 when the administration’s antipathy towards Fox resulted in the attempted omission of Fox News from the press pool at interviews, managed by the Treasury department, related to executive pay. Other press pool members protested as a matter of principle, refusing to participate if Fox News was omitted. The administration relented, and Fox News was not blocked."

https://www.quora.com/Did-Obama-real...edia-briefings
So? That's a far cry from what Spartacus713 claimed, namely this.

"Obama cancelled the press credentials of Chris Wallace of Fox News while he was president."

Old 11-11-2018, 02:26 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^The hypocrisy, and double standard in the Media that solely favors the Democrats is a problem as is the bias in Social Media, TECH, Entertainment, and EDUCATION. This is a major problem in today's society.
Everyone is against you? Poor widdle snowflake ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
No other President was ever treated so poorly by the press and social media.
When you call the press the enemy of the people, you should be prepared for pushback by the professionals who work for the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Acosta is an overly emotional, far leftist
You know this ... how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
No White House or President in history has been subjected to the level of open hostility and disrespect that has transpired over the past two years.
See above.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the NFL “doctors video” a dozen times per game when instant replay slows down a play under review?
This has been answered a few times already.

Quote:
The President of the United States has no obligation to stand before a crowd of political hacks posing as reporters, and endlessly field illegitimate rhetorical questions like “when did you stop beating your wife”.
The irony of your calling the White House press corps "political hacks" in the same sentence as "when did you stop beating your wife" is probably lost on you.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:45 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,543,516 times
Quote:
Apparently some people have already forgotten Barack Obama's very open war against Fox News. Also, Obama cancelled the press credentials of Chris Wallace of Fox News while he was president.
Chris Wallace is a good journalist. He can be critical of both sides and is not afraid to ask tough questions. It's almost like it's in his genes or something.

His press creds did not get pulled though. He was simlpy snubbed.

I searched for journalists who have had the WH passes evoked and there have been a few both both R and D presidents. They did try to ban Fox from covering the pressers as I recall. If I am not mistaken, several members of the press were openly critical -- as well the should have been -- of the Obama admin for doing this.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:51 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,536,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Chris Wallace is a good journalist. He can be critical of both sides and is not afraid to ask tough questions. It's almost like it's in his genes or something.

His press creds did not get pulled though. He was simlpy snubbed.

I searched for journalists who have had the WH passes evoked and there have been a few both both R and D presidents. They did try to ban Fox from covering the pressers as I recall. If I am not mistaken, several members of the press were openly critical -- as well the should have been -- of the Obama admin for doing this.
I think that was what I was remembering.

Regardless of the whether it was a formal "banning" or just a "snubbing" (sounds like a pretty small difference to me), Obama was at open war with Fox News repeatedly during his presidency and did his best to try to manipulate them into shutting up about him.

Early on there was also a lot of talk about re-instituting the "Fairness doctrine," in no small part in order to address this purpose.

Anyone who tries to suggest that Obama was friendly or supportive of any media that were challenging him or that were focused on trying to hold him accountable, is either ignorant of what they speak, or they are lying through their teeth. He was nothing of the sort.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:58 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,272,239 times
The Fake President can't take the heat from the press, he needs to step down if he can't handle the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies