Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 12:51 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,601,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
This story doesn't make any sense. How do you work at a near minimum wage grocery warehouse as an order picker for a few months and buy a condo and house and support a family. He owns 5 houses in Mexico. And he speaks German and Russian .
How? Bonuses. The warehouse pays $18.00/hour. Last year, he made just under $74,000. How? Bonuses. The way it works is speed and accuracy. They are allowed only 3 mistakes a week, otherwise they lose their bonus. Since he's been here, he only missed twice, and was furious with himself as he prides himself with accuracy.

I happen to speak German (was born there), and yes, he speaks German. I've heard him speak a Slavic language, and I can only presume that it was Russian.

Quote:
Accepting the very questionable story at face value, it would not be typical of immigrants or illegals from Mexico or anywhere. He is some kind of upper class in Mexico or involved in something there. And how does any of it benefit Americans? The only feel good story for me is American families prospering.
He is an immigrant, not an illegal. I asked him about the demographics at the warehouse, and he told me it was 90% Hispanics, most from Mexico. I expressed that it sounds like a lot of nepotism going on, and his response was that people born here just can't keep up with the work ethic that requires speed AND accuracy to make anything over the base wage. In fact, too many mistakes, and the person is gone (I don't know what that cutoff is). He relayed that often non-immigrants are hired, but they can't keep up. What can I say... I've seen what he does. I've seen the condo (not in the best part of town) before he fixed it up, and he does the same with the house. He drove a horrible beater he brought up from Mexico for two years before buying a decent used car... different priorities than most people here.

He doesn't believe in any credit other than the mortgage. Car was paid cash, and he and his wife will buy second hand clothes and articles, to get ahead. How many people born here will do that? Most people here want the latest and greatest today, right now, and load up the credit card, right?

It's a different perspective. It's a perspective my parents had when we came over, and most Germans who came at that time had a similar viewpoint, and most of those have done very well over the years.

Work, hard work, smart living and humble living pays off in the long run. Most people born here no longer thing that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 01:37 AM

5,793 posts, read 5,114,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Wonderful. L.A., San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, and NYC is dictating the lives of everyone else in the United States (the other 46 states). Does that make you feel good? Is that your idea of fair? Some cowboy out on the Wyoming range is having his life dictated to him by a dweeb millennial sitting in a Starbucks somewhere, swilling down latte? Is that your idea of "equality"? One voice is heard and the next is given the middle finger?

Break the Union. It's the only solution to liberal tyranny.
How is it fair that 7 red neck idiots in Wyoming can have 2 senators representing them in the senate, and millions of people in ny or California can also have just 2 each?

Old 11-13-2018, 02:03 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,599,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the blue states formed their own union and left the red states behind, they'd have to build high walls and staff the borders with an army of guards, to try to keep the red-staters from illegally coming in by the millions. The red states would be abandoned in their poverty and the blue states would be inundated with rednecks. Everyone would lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You cannot really be that stupid, your own state is blue and it’s full to the brim with some of the trashiest redenecks in the nation.
Not true. We have nothing but blue-ribbon grade rednecks here in Oregon.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:05 AM

17,013 posts, read 12,605,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
unless something (drastic probably) changes the current course of this country, the country will need to be broken up at some point. it may be 100 years from now but this isnt going to work long term.
Problem is that neither party represents the center 60 to 70% of the country. IE the most liberal and most conservative. The two party system forces people to choose between crazies.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:18 AM

22,666 posts, read 24,623,521 times
East coast is pretty much the same.

Republicans are 1/10th the politicians that the Democrats are!

Hillary_PAC_2020

Old 11-13-2018, 09:21 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,901,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Flip side of that, should one guy in Wyoming have as much say as 68 Californians? As that's about what it works out to in Senate representation.
Exactly the larger the state the less power it has proportionately, but I understand the system. People need to realize that because we have a senate the people in the senate are not necessarily representative of this country. 600k in Wyoming, and 40 million in California.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Looks like someone doesn't know what a continent is.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:26 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Flip side of that, should one guy in Wyoming have as much say as 68 Californians?
YES!!!!! Exactly the same amount -- ZERO!

Neither one should have ANY say in what happens in another state.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 AM

431 posts, read 257,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Oh, hopefully it's become clear to some who kept blinders on that Trump Nation is not approved of by most Americans. Join us. The water is fine!

….Said Lucifer about his paradise

Old 11-13-2018, 10:32 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,934,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
How? Bonuses. The warehouse pays $18.00/hour. Last year, he made just under $74,000. How? Bonuses. The way it works is speed and accuracy. They are allowed only 3 mistakes a week, otherwise they lose their bonus. Since he's been here, he only missed twice, and was furious with himself as he prides himself with accuracy.

I happen to speak German (was born there), and yes, he speaks German. I've heard him speak a Slavic language, and I can only presume that it was Russian.

He is an immigrant, not an illegal. I asked him about the demographics at the warehouse, and he told me it was 90% Hispanics, most from Mexico. I expressed that it sounds like a lot of nepotism going on, and his response was that people born here just can't keep up with the work ethic that requires speed AND accuracy to make anything over the base wage. In fact, too many mistakes, and the person is gone (I don't know what that cutoff is). He relayed that often non-immigrants are hired, but they can't keep up. What can I say... I've seen what he does. I've seen the condo (not in the best part of town) before he fixed it up, and he does the same with the house. He drove a horrible beater he brought up from Mexico for two years before buying a decent used car... different priorities than most people here.

He doesn't believe in any credit other than the mortgage. Car was paid cash, and he and his wife will buy second hand clothes and articles, to get ahead. How many people born here will do that? Most people here want the latest and greatest today, right now, and load up the credit card, right?

It's a different perspective. It's a perspective my parents had when we came over, and most Germans who came at that time had a similar viewpoint, and most of those have done very well over the years.

Work, hard work, smart living and humble living pays off in the long run. Most people born here no longer thing that way.
That's been my experience too. Latinos tend to work their azz off and run circles around most of the locals, at least around here. Want a roof replaced quickly and efficiently? I know who I want on that crew.

That's the way my German and English ancestors were too. Worked hard, squeezed their pennies and lived frugally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies