Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,690,507 times

Advertisements

Conservatives talk about individual freedoms.
Libertarians talk about it even more, but tend to vote Republican (as a whole).

They act as if they would fight and die for my "freedoms" to, for example, give speeches to White Suprematists about how the Holocaust was a myth.

They go on about "Natural Rights", but yet don't seem to know what that actually means....

And so, my example and question is this. Here in MA. I can now walk into a store and buy (and consume later) pot in any and all flavors and types. I can buy large quantities of it, just like with booze. For almost a decade a citizen of this commonwealth has been able to use it with no penalties. We can grow it.

And the same is the situation is about 10 states. Here is the map:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-a...-overview.aspx

I'd really like to hear comments from thoughtful conservatives - not rants or excuses from those whose minds are already made up. Simply - why are virtually ALL the states that have looked at this as a "natural law" situation Blue? We could say AK, ME and NV are purple, but all are different in many ways....but, by and large, those 70 million or so people who are not going to get arrest records, jail stints and general abridging of their rights....are in solid blue areas.

Why? If the talking points about conservatives getting government out of their lives are anywhere near true - why would they support putting normal citizens in jail and charging them with crimes...whilst their Blue Brothers are enjoying pain relief and relaxation and recreation?

I'd really like to hear a reasoned response because I cannot think of one...except that the authoritarian concept of "law and order" is so strong in red states that they fear their citizens are not capable of such decisions....and THEY have to force prohibitions upon them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,115,870 times
Nah.. both Democrats and Republicans like to over regulate people's lives... they just choose different things to regulate.

Democrats do it out in the open.

Republicans say they are against big government but that's a lie.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:33 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,603,038 times
Doing drugs that destroy your mind and body doesn’t make you free; it enslaves you and makes you weak. That’s why blue state governments and even some red states like the idea.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:37 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,115,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Doing drugs that destroy your mind and body doesn’t make you free; it enslaves you and makes you weak. That’s why blue state governments and even some red states like the idea.
Define drug? Coffee? Alcohol?

This is the very attitude of conservatives wanting to dictate lives of others according to their own ideals. While they claim smaller government but it is always cherry picked and only when it is convenient to their own views.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 PM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Nah.. both Democrats and Republicans like to over regulate people's lives... they just choose different things to regulate.

Democrats do it out in the open.

Republicans say they are against big government but that's a lie.
This. but it is fun watching one team condemn the other while doing the same.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Well, it wasn't a reasoned response, but exactly what I was saying about "they know better" or "they believe that government knows better and has to protect them".

Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 PM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Quote:
Dont do drugs, leave everyone else alone. Problem solved.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This. but it is fun watching one team condemn the other while doing the same.
So I guess a real reasoned response is out of the question?

Something like "you know - on this issue you are 100% correct. Liberal states seem to believe more in the will of the people on these issues while conservative states tend to favor the authoritarian approach".....

Is it too hard to admit these things? (not aimed at you, but at the lack of reasoned and accurate responses).

Ben Franklin loved his drink - and his opium. If pot was around I know he'd be toking up...maybe he was! There is absolutely no reason why folks like him wouldn't have enjoyed themselves and also used it to enhance their mental powers. Think Different and all.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:43 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,950,029 times
Pot makes me puke... can I have an e-cigarette instead??

Old 11-17-2018, 06:46 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,334,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'd really like to hear a reasoned response . . .
That's highly unlikely.

Not only is everyone's mind already made up on this subject, but both sides always points to the other with cries of "Propaganda!" whenever points are made. It is one of the most bipartisan yet divisive issues ever.

In the Colorado forum there is a poster who cannot enjoy their visits to the Trinidad area because the dispensaries are simply too distracting. Literally. I'm being honest and not exaggerating. For example, if they are sitting at a lovely, quiet, picturesque outdoor table at a cute cafe, they can't enjoy it at all if there is a dispensary in sight.

As long as that type of bias and stigma exists all the marijuana related logic, evidence, and facts will not open their eyes nor sooth their hypersensitivity. It is just too ingrained in their upbringing and brainwashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies