Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are hate crime hoaxes, hate crimes themselves?
Yes: these hoaxes are often crimes that target specific groups for shame, harrasment, or intimidation 17 70.83%
Kind of: it shouldn't be a hate crime, but should be prosecuted more aggressively 2 8.33%
No: I don't see a connection 2 8.33%
Really No: If anything prosecute these hoaxers less so as to not discourage real hate crime victims from coming forward 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I would disagree that "there's no hate speech." In the article I quoted, the attacker was shouting "I hate Mexicans." That would pretty much be the epitome of hate speech.

(I'm not saying there should be no 1st amendment protection protection for hate speech, btw, just confused that you could think there is no such thing).
No. Now you're going into, as Ceece said, "thought control". If someone walks around saying, 'I hate Mexicans', that is NOT a crime. So WHAT if they hate Mexicans. That's their problem. It's not even a problem for any Mexican. Words don't have any control over your life if you don't allow them to have control.

Him beating up the people he did is a crime. It doesn't matter if he "hates Mexicans" or not, the fact is, he beat up some people, and that is already a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 04:05 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. Now you're going into, as Ceece said, "thought control". If someone walks around saying, 'I hate Mexicans', that is NOT a crime. So WHAT if they hate Mexicans. That's their problem. It's not even a problem for any Mexican. Words don't have any control over your life if you don't allow them to have control.

Him beating up the people he did is a crime. It doesn't matter if he "hates Mexicans" or not, the fact is, he beat up some people, and that is already a crime.
You didn't really address what I said. Earlier you said there is no such thing as "hate speech." And I responded that "I hate Mexicans" is obviously hate speech.

I didn't say it is a crime to say it, I didn't say "thought control" is needed to prevent such words. It's ugly, but protected speech.

But that's not what this thread is even about.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:06 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
yes.
all crime.
every time.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
There was a recent attack on two Latinos here in Utah recently, by a man shouting "I hate Mexicans" and "I'm here to kill a Mexican." I've read articles in our paper about how horrible it is that the attacker can't be prosecuted for a "hate crime" under Utah law. He'll be charged with aggravated assault and some other weapons and drug charges.

This got me wondering why "hate crimes" are sometimes treated differently. If the attacker was angry about something else, something other than them being Mexican, why would that matter? Should the reason for the attack make a difference in what the charges are?

Here is the story:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/2183373002/
In the court of the sjw. Hate crimes will be a death penalty.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:19 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,391,611 times
Quote:
You didn't really address what I said. Earlier you said there is no such thing as "hate speech." And I responded that "I hate Mexicans" is obviously hate speech.

I didn't say it is a crime to say it, I didn't say "thought control" is needed to prevent such words. It's ugly, but protected speech.

But that's not what this thread is even about.
Is "I HATE broccoli!!!" hate speech?

Yes, it is.

A clue for you that I learned as a kid: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS will NEVER hurt me.

How pathetic this has to be explained!

Old 12-03-2018, 04:21 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
There was a recent attack on two Latinos here in Utah recently, by a man shouting "I hate Mexicans" and "I'm here to kill a Mexican." I've read articles in our paper about how horrible it is that the attacker can't be prosecuted for a "hate crime" under Utah law. He'll be charged with aggravated assault and some other weapons and drug charges.

This got me wondering why "hate crimes" are sometimes treated differently. If the attacker was angry about something else, something other than them being Mexican, why would that matter? Should the reason for the attack make a difference in what the charges are?

Here is the story:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/2183373002/
I beg to differ... When anyone sets out to kill another based on HATRED leads to "Hate Crime" indictments.

Meanwhile, all murders are horrendous and despicable, regardless of reasons... IF done simply BECAUSE of HATRED towards the person (victim/s) tends to aggravate sentencing guidelines.

When someones feels not targeted by such people ( simply because you are white Wasp types) does not mean enhanced sentencing IF found guilty is NOT appropriate!

When someone makes PUBLIC their HATREDS and follows thru and kills because of access of weapons and or ability to attack and KILL does not mean they could ever be exonerated because some may be sympathetic

Above is strictly My view Point~~ Deprived Heart Killings mean enhanced sentencing! This all comes out in final sentencing/assessments by those that look into the history of convicted person prior.!

Old 12-03-2018, 04:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
I haven't made up my mind about this. Greater punishment for hate crimes is a bit like criminalizing thought. On the other hand, we already make a distinction between premeditated and un-premeditated murder,

Old 12-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Funny thing is, last time I saw statistics publsihed on the matter, 85% of all violent crimes between blacks and whites were committed by blacks against whites. That would seem to show a real trend. And yet, how many black-on-white crimes are prosecuted "hate crimes?"

But it is rude to answer a question with a question. Your answer is, when the left labels anything "hate," it is an Orwellian attempt to control thought. Only they can judge intentions, and bad intentions are even worse than bad action. "Thoughcrime does not entail death, thoughtcrime is death."
For a hate crime charge to have even a fighting chance of sticking, there has to be some act or expression committed against the victim that leaves no reasonable room for doubt that the crime is motivated (even only in part) by the person's race, religion, orientation, and other diversity categories.

As for hate crimes against whites. Even that news site your side most loves to hate reported on it.
Hate crimes rose in 2016 - especially against Muslims and whites
https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/us/ha...rnd/index.html

Also, one Kansas City Star editorial had this to say about a black suspect who murdered five middle-aged white men, who said "Kill all white people", "I wanna shoot them up Columbine style"
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...170592852.html

Quote:
Hate crimes have the same effect. By targeting a group based on a bias, a culprit sends a message to anyone fitting the profile: You could be next.

It’s why, when labeled as hate crimes, these violent acts result in harsher penalties.

Still, as Kansas City reels from the possibility that a racist serial killer might have roamed our streets, we must remain focused on the facts of the case. And those investigating the killings have suggested there is still more to learn.

Black perpetrators do commit crimes against white victims. But these are a relatively small percentage of hate crimes. Statistics show the opposite is more often true: white people as the racially motivated perpetrators and blacks as the victims.

And far more frequently, people commit crimes against victims of the same race.

When it comes to race and crime, we too often are quick to rush to judgment and to draw conclusions that fit an imagined narrative. Regardless of how prosecutors ultimately label these crimes, the trail killings were horrific and cold-blooded.

If they were hate crimes, we will not hesitate to call them exactly that. But for now, prosecutors and detectives must follow where the facts lead them.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
All crimes are based on hate in some way.

Just punish the crime with equality and move on with life.

Categorizing criminal behavior gives an opportunity for unequal justice.

Fake "hate" crimes should be punished more harshly that they are.
I seriously doubt the typical stick-up guy holding up the liquor store has raging maniacal hatred against the store's clerk or the owner. Same thing for juvenile delinquents smashing car windows at a mall parking lot.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
The jury has found you guilty of murder in the 1st degree and you will receive the death penalty but because you said some mean and hateful things about the victim, the sentence will be extended by 5 years.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Is "I HATE broccoli!!!" hate speech?

Yes, it is.

A clue for you that I learned as a kid: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS will NEVER hurt me.

How pathetic this has to be explained!
Ok, you are being inconsistent and changing the subject. But I'm sure you know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies