Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:41 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,153 times

Advertisements

I know this is a hot button topic. But I think it's interesting and worth discussing. What really is racism? Do we really hate someone just simply because they look different? My opinion is that racism no longer exists. I think there is anger and mistrust from one race to another but I don't think the color of someone's skin is the determining factor. Let me make my case..

BMW advertises with the PGA and not NASCAR. Why? Because BMW knows that most people who watch PGA have the money to buy their expensive BMW vehicles. They also believe that most NASCAR fans lack the funds to buy BMWs. Now is BMW being racist against NASCAR fans? No, it has nothing to do with color of skin. But they are being prejudice. Prejudice, I believe is what many people today believe is racism. Is BMW wrong for prejudging NASCAR fans? I'm sure there are many NASCAR fans who drive BMWs and have gobs of money and there are many PGA fans who are broke and drive around beaters.

My point is BMW and every company who advertises prejudges an audience and makes their decision based on averages. Again, not every nascar fan is broke and not every pga fan is rich, but BMW has done the math and there is enough of a difference in the fans that they advertise with one and not the other.

I think this is what people believe is "Racism" today. We all make quick prejudged decisions everyday. When we see someone walk down the street with a bunch of muscle we assume they work out but many people just have natural muscle tone. When we are in a gas station late at night and someone walks in wearing dark sunglasses and a hat it makes us nervous. Yet, people walk into gas stations all the time wearing hats and sunglasses and are harmless.

I think we all play the law of averages. Unforuntately, the african american race commits more crimes proporationally than any other race in America. We can argue until we are blue in the face as to why. I think people play the odds. So when people drive in a rough neighborhood with many black people they get fearful. Are they racist for being fearful or are their minds just playing the odds based on historical information? I don't think these people are racist.

I think the key to stopping prejudgement is to changing the behavior. If all of a sudden most of the crimes in America were commited by Japanese people I think most people would be a little more cautious around Japanese people. My point is that I don't think color of skin has anything to do with it. I think it's behavior based on a characteristic and the general population picks up a trend and then makes decisions and prejudgements based on those trends.

I love wine. I'm on 27 years old. When I go to a nice restaurant I often don't get the wine menu and many other people do. Why? Because the waiter prejudges me. Most 27 year old guys aren't wine drinkers. Some are, some aren't. But most aren't. Does that make me angry that they prejudge me? No, they are just making a judgement based on historical data. If I was to get mad at anyone I should get mad at all the other guys out there in their mid 20s who don't drink wine that has left a prejudice on me as a non-wine drinker.

Do you see my point? The media wants racism to be malicious? Whites hate blacks just because they are black and vice versa. I just don't think this is the case. I think we all prejudge everyday, often times subconsciously. Are we racist? I really don't think so. I think we are just using historical data to make a current judgement. Whether that is right or wrong I don't know.. but that is human nature.

I'm curious what everyone elses opinion is.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 AM

409 posts, read 1,504,875 times
You could even argue this, but if there was a term called "culturalism" I think that would be more appropriate.

I think that not all, but some whites are "cuturalist" against the average african american culture. Are all loose clothes wearing, backwards or tilted hat sportin', ebonics speaking african americans to be feared? Absolutely not. Its the association between this and what much of the hip hop culture (guns, money, drugs and women) portrays. People tend to fear whites in this culture just as much.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 AM

152 posts, read 335,252 times
I think racism is more of a systemic entity, rather than the action or reaction of an individual. I think nowadays what we experience between individuals is a residue from the past, not a response to a person because of their skin color, per se. If it were not for certain events of the past that made race a determining factor in everyday life, there would be no problem between blacks and whites today. So the past impacts us, but you continue to work toward change on a personal and nation-wide level. Which I think we as a country have been doing pretty good job at for the most part.

Does racism still exist today? I would say yes, but in a way more subtle form and its not acceptable as it once was. So if someone is a victim of it (and this goes for any -ism) you have legal recourse to address it.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
You could even argue this, but if there was a term called "culturalism" I think that would be more appropriate.

I think that not all, but some whites are "cuturalist" against the average african american culture. Are all loose clothes wearing, backwards or tilted hat sportin', ebonics speaking african americans to be feared? Absolutely not. Its the association between this and what much of the hip hop culture (guns, money, drugs and women) portrays. People tend to fear whites in this culture just as much.

Good point Trabbz,

At the base of it, I think it comes down to physical characteristics that are associated with a trend. It just so happens that saggy clothes and backward hats and sooped up cars are associated with thug culture. Again, not everyone meeting this criteria is a thug. But our brains play the odds just like BMW plays the odds with their advertising dollars.

I think when a negative action comes from a source that has a common outward appearance, it is human nature for people to associate that outward appearance with the negative action. So if purple midgets commited 80% of the rapes in the US and a woman was walking by herself in a parking lot and saw a purple midget, human nature would cause her to be scared. Does that mean she hates purple midgets? Probably not. It just means that she is using historical data to a make a current judgement before getting to know the person. That purple midget could be a preacher for all she knows.

Now that purple midget in the parking garage could feel upset when the woman runs away from her, especially if he is harmless. No one wants to be associated with bad behavior. But human nature is human nature and that woman had a right to be scared. So all the purple midgets of the world, instead of crying racism, should get together and figure out how stop the problem that 80% of their race commits all the rapes.

That is what I think black america should do. When I drive into bad areas of my city which happen to be black and which happen to be the most frequent spots for crime, I roll up the windows and lock the doors. I don't do it because I'm racist. I don't do it because I hate black people. I do it because most of the crimes happen in those neighborhoods and I'm using historical facts for my current decisions.

If all of a sudden that bad neighborhood cleaned itself up and crimes were no longer commited there, I would not feel the need to roll up my windows and lock my door. So it's the behavior and the outward characteristic that led me to behave how I did.. has nothing to do with changing my behavior just for the simple fact that I don't like black people.

I think this is a huge misconception by many people.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM

208 posts, read 412,071 times
Hi,

I started out very open-minded and I was extremely inclusive with regards to race and ethnicity. I have always lived in one of the most diverse areas of the USA.

But as I got older reality settled in.

I'm a college-educated, white collar professional.

And I can tell you that "diversity-candidates" do NOT have your welfare in mind. They're itching to see whitey take a kick in the teeth. Sure, not 100%, but the majority are.

They're not interested in you being able to get a good job and live in a nice home. They're only interested in what's best for their race. And what YOU OWE THEM. This is reality.

FBI and Law Enforcement crime rates paint a very eye-opening picture. About 30,000 white women are raped each year by gangsta wannabes. Your chances of some white guy off the street attacking you (hence low crime rate in Europe) are low but almost 7X as high for one particular diversity group.

This whole idea of we can all live together as one and sing Kumbaya defies Nature and science. Multi-culturalism is a reject idea by a bunch of doped out Baby Boomers.

Ask yourself this question, in all of history, why are there 136 countries?

Why are virtually every war fought between ethnic and racial and religious groups?

When you take differeing ethnic, racial and religious and yes, political groups and squeeze them into one geo-graphical location you have strife and warfare.

The Government knows this is a glass house. But they want as many tax drones and "consumers" as possible to make the elites filthy rich. That's why you have Hate Crimes laws and fed agents show up anytime something is deemed a racial incident. It's because they know US society in present day 2008 is a tinderbox ready to explode depending on where you're at here in America.

Why is Japan virtually the most technologically-advanced, virtually crime fee country in the world? It's because they're a homogenis people. The country is virtually 100% all Japanese. As such, there's no "race issues", car jackings, gangstas busting caps in people, high school drop outs, etc.

The Japanese people don't sit around drinking, robbing and "keeping it real." They go to school, study hard and get a good job and make a good living. As such they are coming up with all sorts of technological advances.

Most "diversity candidates" children don't even graduate high school and those who do were just passed so as to not hurt any feelings or incite racist accusations. America is fast becoming a 3rd world country with uneducated, people who think you owe them something.

So by 2070 who's going to be in a better position? Japan or the US?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM

408 posts, read 695,913 times
You are definitely right and not to something. At the same time there is still open racism. I have had the bad luck to come across it a couple of times. Racism still effects parts of this country. My roommate and I are moving down south and the first thing that we honestly thought of was "how is the racial climate." I would love to move any where in the country and not have to worry about racism..but its just not possible yet But there is more prejudice than racism.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:49 AM

408 posts, read 695,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
Hi,

I started out very open-minded and I was extremely inclusive with regards to race and ethnicity. I have always lived in one of the most diverse areas of the USA.

And I can tell you that "diversity-candidates" do NOT have your welfare in mind. They're itching to see whitey take a kick in the teeth. Sure, not 100%, but the majority are.

They're not interested in you being able to get a good job and live in a nice home. They're only interested in what's best for their race. And what YOU OWE THEM. This is reality.

FBI and Law Enforcement crime rates paint a very eye-opening picture. About 30,000 white women are raped each year by gangsta wannabes. Your chances of some white guy off the street attacking you (hence low crime rate in Europe) are low but almost 7X as high for one particular diversity group.

This whole idea of we can all live together as one and sing Kumbaya defies Nature and science. Multi-culturalism is a reject idea by a bunch of doped out Baby Boomers.

Why are virtually every war fought between ethnic and racial and religious groups?

When you take differeing ethnic, racial and religious and yes, political groups and squeeze them into one geo-graphical location you have strife and warfare.

The Government knows this is a glass house. But they want as many tax drones and "consumers" as possible to make the elites filthy rich. That's why you have Hate Crimes laws and fed agents show up anytime something is deemed a racial incident. It's because they know US society in present day 2008 is a tinderbox ready to explode depending on where you're at here in America.

Why is Japan virtually the most technologically-advanced, virtually crime fee country in the world? It's because they're a homogenis people. The country is virtually 100% all Japanese. As such, there's no "race issues", car jackings, gangstas busting caps in people, high school drop outs, etc.

The Japanese people don't sit around drinking, robbing and "keeping it real." They go to school, study hard and get a good job and make a good living. As such they are coming up with all sorts of technological advances.

Most "diversity candidates" children don't even graduate high school and those who do were just passed so as to not hurt any feelings or incite racist accusations. America is fast becoming a 3rd world country with uneducated, people who think you owe them something.

Whoa..ok for starters your post is riddled with undercurrent prejudice. Now, I can see your point but only to a certain degree. If you look at the history of the US ( not any other country the US) and what is was founded on or should I say "whom" then yes we are gonna have some problems. But..there is nothing that we can do about it, unless you want to start shipping out whole races of people And who would we ship out? Which lucky group of people would get to stay?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 PM

152 posts, read 335,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
Hi,

It seems you're making a lot of generalizations about people. Your experience with a few so-called diversity candidates does not translate to an experience with an entire group of people who thinks America "owes them something."

And I also understand your main point to a degree as well...however, as human beings we all have the choice to work together for a common good regardless of ethnic, racial or religious differences. I think the real problem is economic disparity and class issues. IMO, the elite uses ethnic, racial and other differences to as a smokescreen so that we never come to the conclusion that they are the real problem. This strategy has been going on forever and its pretty brilliant because so far its worked perfectly.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Senator,

I disagree. Obviously, it is always a little easier to get along with people who share the same qualities as you. I'm a 27 year old white guy who loves sports and votes republican. I'm probably going to have more fun partying with another american guy in his 20s who loves sports and votes republican than partying with a 50 year old Indian guy who loves talking about computers and is a flaming liberal.

That's just life. That doesn't mean we all can't get along. Again, right now in America is their tension between the Asian Americans and Caucasians? How about the European Americans and the Caucasians? No, again it has nothing to do with color. It just so happens that black america is not performing very well and are filling up our prisons. That makes the other races angry. But again, if black america straigthened up and Koreans started commiting most of the crimes, then the other races would start to look down at Koreans.

It isn't just a color of skin thing. We all make current judgements based on historical evidence. We can all live together in harmony. It's a bit easier for Japan because they all share the same values, but one thing I've learned in life is this.. if it's easy, it's probably not good for you and if it's hard and takes a lot of work then it's probably the right thing to do. So in my opinion, I think the right thing is to live together in harmony with all races and religions. Easier said than done but it is possible if we stop letting the media spread rumors of racism everytime a negative story comes up with a white person and a black person involved.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon29 View Post
It seems you're making a lot of generalizations about people. Your experience with a few so-called diversity candidates does not translate to an experience with an entire group of people who thinks America "owes them something."

And I also understand your main point to a degree as well...however, as human beings we all have the choice to work together for a common good regardless of ethnic, racial or religious differences. I think the real problem is economic disparity and class issues. IMO, the elite uses ethnic, racial and other differences to as a smokescreen so that we never come to the conclusion that they are the real problem. This strategy has been going on forever and its pretty brilliant because so far its worked perfectly.

And how exactly is the race problem in America (which I think is ficticious) the fault of the elite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies