Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Many blacks can blame todays segregation on themselves. If they would stop painting their houses purple and lime green, and start keeping their kids from walking the streets all night maybe whites would stop moving away from them. I can't even begin to think how many times I have nearly ran over black kids while they were in the street at night. And yes, I am one of those white people who moved away from them. I got tired of looking at my black neighbor's purple house everyday and tired of listening to their loud mouths all night! This may not be all blacks, but it seems to be most of them that I see. Am I racist? Well, you decide, I don't care anymore.
Where do you live? Not one of my black friends has a purple house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 PM

408 posts, read 696,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
I don't understand the painted house thing. The only thing that black folk around my area do that irritates me is about 80% of them have pit bulls. Not really to love them but to chain them up outside for security or "im tough" reasons. I don't quite get that.

I'm sure though I have some "white" tendancies that drive them crazy as well.
Think of the pit bulls equivalent to huge monster trucks! hehe. Seriously I dated a white guy that had one and he loved his truck..it made him feel more tough and secure. I don't know I think that the dog and truck thing is also a guy thing.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM

152 posts, read 335,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
I don't understand the painted house thing. The only thing that black folk around my area do that irritates me is about 80% of them have pit bulls. Not really to love them but to chain them up outside for security or "im tough" reasons. I don't quite get that.

I'm sure though I have some "white" tendancies that drive them crazy as well.
It could be security reasons if its a particularly rough neighborhood...I live in Oregon now, but I grew up in Philadelphia and I kind of co-sign with you on the dog thing. However, I knew of many, many people in the neighborhood that were very concerned about people having aggressive dogs because of the fear that children walking to school and so forth, would get mauled.

So, I don't get the dog thing, either! But I am a cat person anyway.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Where do you live? Not one of my black friends has a purple house.
I live in the deep south, and many blacks here have a tendency to paint their houses purple, lime green, pink, canary yellow, etc. Anything bright. It drives white people (including myself) crazy because it brings down the value of the surrounding homes.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:19 PM

152 posts, read 335,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live in the deep south, and many blacks here have a tendency to paint their houses purple, lime green, pink, canary yellow, etc. Anything bright. It drives white people (including myself) crazy because it brings down the value of the surrounding homes.
Please don't take offense, but it sounds like its more of a "southern" thing, than a "black" thing. Although, again, I'm sure not all southern black people paint their homes crazy colors...

Old 04-10-2008, 03:25 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
[u]I've written extensive posts on this before, am pretty well 'burned out', so I'll try to be brief. Racism (such as it is...and it gets blamed for MANY things that AREN'T due to it), begets FURTHER racism....and on and on and on...just like violence. It's "racism" which causes "some folks" to judge "other folks" as a GROUP..and that begets MORE racism, which causes the "second folks" to 'close ranks' and not address the problems within THEIR group (the problems which prompted the original racism)...get it?

To use a NON-racial example, let's talk about Islamic terrorism. Islamic terrorism causes MANY 'westerners" to feel PREJUDICE against Middle-Eastern Muslims..or even the WHOLE religion. THIS sense of being under 'seige' causes some MUSLIMS to 'close ranks' against those who 'accuse them', and thereby to fail to 'root out' the TRUE terrorists in their midst. This is percieved by 'outsiders' as the group 'protecting' their own 'bad apples'..which, of course, is what is happening.

The same scenario holds true in cases of racial prejudice. "I KNOW he's a no-good low-life...but NO &^%($# (other race) is gonna tell US how to raise OUR kids"...Of COURSE, this looks like 'covering' for a 'known bad guy'..which, of COURSE, begets even FURTHER negative images.

As long as there's racism, it will lead to more and more racism, both 'for' and 'against' all groups.

We obviously have a multiracial society. Some of us (myself included) have multiracial families. It's always been my HOPE (or dream) that 'race' doesn't have to determine behavior..and that we can ALL work together in a common American culture..

Will it WORK?..I don't know. There's a HUGE love affair just now with the concept of 'multiculturalism"....and all that it entails. I frankly don't hold out much hope for that. Race is a product of genetics. It's a 'given". But CULTURE is a matter of 'behavior" and values and ethics...and, by nature, differing cultures are USUALLY somewhat mutually exclusive..often, even HOSTILE to each other. Just exactly how "multi" do we plan on getting?

We're told we should 'celebrate our differences", but I disagree. Our differences are obvious. What we SHOULD be doing is trying to MINIMIZE our differences, and "celebrating our similarities"...

This could have a HUGE effect on the persistence of racism in our future...at least in my opinion..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies