Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 PM

408 posts, read 696,610 times

Advertisements

Thank you, and you as well...have good dreams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,873,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
If the parents were not educated how do you expect them to educate their children? You might not think so but did you have sex-education. My mother is a social worker and she will talk about how she gets teen moms in her office that are pregnant and didn't even know how to use a condom!!! And not just girls but boys as well. Of course it is a home as well but sex-education at school, your church or wherever does play a big part. For kids to be educated on safe-sex and what STI's are out there and what they can do to you, and the 13 (yes 13) steps to put on and take off a condom correctly. Not a lot of parents know this.

Rap and Hip-hop do not effect like you think it would, most grow out of this really fast!
Sorry to just jump in but I just read through this entire post and this is the major disparity that needs to be fixed first. I don't buy that those kids don't know how to use a condom....they don't want to. Why do black boys think they aren't a man until they become a baby daddy (they aren't fathers)? Why do black girls not tell them to back off if they won't use protection? I don't think it's a lack of education for the most part. It's very accepted in the black culture. Young kids have babies and run off to do their thing while grandma raises their kids and struggles on welfare. The single mothers need to educate their own children on how difficult it is to raise children alone and tell them not to repeat their mistakes. The health department hands out free condoms and BCP. Why don't they just go get them and stop having all these unparented babies? I know white girls do it too, but the point is not 70% of them. It's not the govt's job to do everything for us. If you can't educate your children on the basic morals and life skills then you shouldn't have them at all.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 PM

I can agree with you that the parents need to educate their children and help them to understand so they do not make those mistakes....but sex-education is still very very important. Teens think that they are invincible ( of any race) until they are brought back down to earth. Do not dismiss sex-education entirely or we will have more and more unwed mothers and not just black! I went to an almost all white high school in a upper-middle class neighborhood and I can think of ten girls who were pregnant or had children in just my graduating class, we had a big school so I didn't even know everyone! Whites, asians and hispanics are catching up.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 PM

152 posts, read 335,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
So it is the job of the government to educate our children on sex education? Good lord, has our society really come to this?

I think people know about protection.

My opinion on the 70% problem is thug culture. Black America has embraced this culture. A culture where family life is lame and gangbanging and getting a bunch of hos is cool. I really thing embracing this culture has hurt the black american family. I don't think teachers in classrooms blowing up condoms has anything to do with it.
I agree with you about thug culture (although "black america" as a whole has not embraced it) having an impact on parts of the black community. However, record companies promote this "thug" lifestyle to sell records to whomever will buy them because its a cash cow. And naive young people who do not have a mom or dad to tell them what real values are sometimes get sucked into thinking that being in gang and selling drugs to get fast money is the only way to go. And quite honestly, if that is all they see, then their outlook on life is supported in their minds.

While I think promotion of this lifestyle is one factor in the deterioration of the black family, it did not start it. I think it has more to do with some of the issues already mentioned on this thread; black men being shut out of opportunities for jobs, education and being able to own a home, black women having to pick up the slack. All these things have been happening for decades and for some families its a generational thing. They can't get themselves out of the vicious cycle.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:33 PM

409 posts, read 1,506,625 times
For all you ignorant one's out there with not an ounce of understanding.... there has been plenty of things done SINCE slavery that (prepare yourself) just might have a little influence on why there is some mistrust of whites and the government by blacks.

The Tuskegee experiments
Rodney King
Assasination of MLK
Community redlining
Segregation
Misappropriation of school finding to certain neighborhoods
Higher sentencing for crimes
There are many more examples..........

And if you think we have made enough progress, was race an issue in the last election?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Here in Ohio there is a city that still has segregated schools...I'm not kidding.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,699,716 times
Many blacks can blame todays segregation on themselves. If they would stop painting their houses purple and lime green, and start keeping their kids from walking the streets all night maybe whites would stop moving away from them. I can't even begin to think how many times I have nearly ran over black kids while they were in the street at night. And yes, I am one of those white people who moved away from them. I got tired of looking at my black neighbor's purple house everyday and tired of listening to their loud mouths all night! This may not be all blacks, but it seems to be most of them that I see. Am I racist? Well, you decide, I don't care anymore.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Many blacks can blame todays segregation on themselves. If they would stop painting their houses purple and lime green, and start keeping their kids from walking the streets all night maybe whites would stop moving away from them. I can't even begin to think how many times I have nearly ran over black kids while they were in the street at night. And yes, I am one of those white people who moved away from them. I got tired of looking at my black neighbor's purple house everyday and tired of listening to their loud mouths all night! This may not be all blacks, but it seems to be most of them that I see. Am I racist? Well, you decide, I don't care anymore.
Ok...if you can't seem to come into this thread without being a complete ( you know what ) then exit stage left.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 PM

152 posts, read 335,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't think you're racist at all. I do think you might considering not lumping all black people into one group who likes to paint their houses purple and yell all night. Your common sense must tell you this is not true of all black people, or even MOST, nor is house painting the reason for white flight. I'm black and grew up in mostly black neighborhoods and never saw a brightly colored home in my life.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM

473 posts, read 1,246,465 times
I don't understand the painted house thing. The only thing that black folk around my area do that irritates me is about 80% of them have pit bulls. Not really to love them but to chain them up outside for security or "im tough" reasons. I don't quite get that.

I'm sure though I have some "white" tendancies that drive them crazy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies