Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM

1,239 posts, read 511,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It was called Unite the Right. All kinds of people went there, I'm sure not knowing it was going to turn violent or be universally perceived as a white nazi thing. There have been plenty of other right wing rallies which are not that and which the police controlled when counter protesters arrived to cause violence.
Unite the Right Rally was organized by Jason Kessler
Quote:
"Jason Eric Kessler (born September 22, 1983) is an American white supremacist[1][2][3], neo-Nazi,[4][5][6] and far-right political activist.[7][8][9]

Part of the alt-right, he is known for being the main organizer of the white nationalist Unite the Right rally held in Charlottesville, Virginia during August 11–12, 2017"
Unite the Right Rally
Quote:
The Unite the Right rally, also known as the Charlottesville rally or Charlottesville riots,[4] was a white supremacist[5][6][7][8] rally that occurred in Charlottesville, Virginia, from August 11 to 12, 2017.[9][10] Protesters were members of the far-right and included self-identified members of the alt-right,[11] neo-Confederates,[12] neo-fascists,[13] white nationalists,[14] neo-Nazis,[15] and various militias.[16] The marchers chanted racist and antisemitic slogans, carried semi-automatic rifles, swastikas, Nazi symbols (such as the Odal rune, Black Sun, and Iron Cross), the Valknut, Confederate battle flags, Deus Vult crosses, flags and other symbols of various past and present anti-Muslim and antisemitic groups.[17] [8][9][18][19][20][21] Within the Charlottesville area, the rally is often known as A12[22] or 8/12.[23] The organizers' stated goals included unifying the American white nationalist movement[11] and to oppose removing a statue of Robert E. Lee from Charlottesville's Emancipation Park.[20][24]
This was meant to be the coming out party for white supremacists, unifying them and showing everyone their power level. The stated goal of the rally was to unify the white nationalist movement.

You or Vector want to provide any proof whatsoever that other groups participated? Even comments from people who showed up to protest, saw who they were with, and left?

Video of the peaceful rally protesting the removal of the little statue.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:17 PM

16,644 posts, read 8,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
This some kind of joke making fun of the people who defended him idiotically?

The rally was for white supremacists, and nazi losers.
There's a whole Vice documentary about the nazi rally.

Congratulations, you played yourself.
Wrong, as you seem to want to buy the leftist narrative hook, line, and sinker.

Were there Nazi's and white supremacists there? I suspect so, just like the anarchists and communists were there also.
Both of those groups that got violent fit into the bad people category Trump referred to.

The ones that fit into the good category were the peaceful ones engaged in public dismay over the government taking down the historical figures and erasing history itself. Groups like the Daughters of the Confederacy who opposed removal, and groups of people who wanted to see the removal, but engaged in peaceful protest were the good ones.

It is a real easy concept to embrace as long as you look beyond the liberal narrative and/or do not have an agenda.

`

Old 12-11-2018, 02:28 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wrong, as you seem to want to buy the leftist narrative hook, line, and sinker.

Were there Nazi's and white supremacists there? I suspect so, just like the anarchists and communists were there also.
Both of those groups that got violent fit into the bad people category Trump referred to.

The ones that fit into the good category were the peaceful ones engaged in public dismay over the government taking down the historical figures and erasing history itself. Groups like the Daughters of the Confederacy who opposed removal, and groups of people who wanted to see the removal, but engaged in peaceful protest were the good ones.

It is a real easy concept to embrace as long as you look beyond the liberal narrative and/or do not have an agenda.

`
Actually, I think this rally was primarily to have the white nationalists "come out" and they did. Were there other people there who thought they were defending statues. Yes, I'll agree with you on that. However, once the Unite the Right stuff kicked into high gear (and I live in Virginia so it was definitely pretty clear HERE what was going on), the "good" who people wanted to protect a civil war historical statue probably should have stayed away at that point so as not to be associated with what was going on.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:35 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Got exactly what he deserved. Lot of years being locked up with the races he spent all that time hating. Bet he changes his tune pretty quick.

Can't wait to see the crying Nazi's reaction.

IMO he deserves a date with the gallows.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:51 PM

16,644 posts, read 8,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
You or Vector want to provide any proof whatsoever that other groups participated? Even comments from people who showed up to protest, saw who they were with, and left?
For starters I was not there, and probably the vast majority of people with views on this subject were not there either.
Regardless, if I attend a rally and a bunch of kooks show up, I obviously do not have control over it. I have read and seen video showing what seemed to be normal folks in attendance, and members of the DOC were claimed to have been present as well.

However the one thing you said that resonates with me is that some people either left or decided not to stay when they saw the the potential for violence from either side. Some people would probably and stubbornly stay regardless of the kooks on either side, but many with common sense are not going to stay if they see the potential of violence.
Heck, and I said this before, I was very tempted to join an "Occupy Rally" back when they were going on, as I am still incensed that the Wall Street fat cats fleeced America, and none were given a perp walk into prison.
However when I saw the type of kooks involved, I decided not to put myself in and among those losers, even if we had similar views on that particular subject.

As to the primary subject of this thread, I have not heard why this guy didn't get the death penalty?
If he had been convicted of a lesser charge it would make sense. However if he was convicted of 1st degree murder, then he should have been eligible for the death penalty since NC still has it on the books.
Anyone know the reason he didn't get sentenced to the DP?

`

Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM

19,673 posts, read 12,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Actually, I think this rally was primarily to have the white nationalists "come out" and they did. Were there other people there who thought they were defending statues. Yes, I'll agree with you on that. However, once the Unite the Right stuff kicked into high gear (and I live in Virginia so it was definitely pretty clear HERE what was going on), the "good" who people wanted to protect a civil war historical statue probably should have stayed away at that point so as not to be associated with what was going on.
Yes a lot of them came from other areas and left when things started getting weird. Some were live streaming or recorded themselves leaving. Yeah some people didn't really understand there was some hardcore stuff going on, even at the heart of it, so there were some "good people" or at least some naïve people there just about the statue issue, or just there to watch.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:34 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,958,594 times
It was stupid to let them march in the first place. Have you ever known Nazis to be peaceful?
This was not going to be a peace march. The violent outcome was inevitable.

I hold the city officials at least partly responsible for the young lady's brutal death.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:36 PM

2,362 posts, read 779,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
It was stupid to let them march in the first place. Have you ever known Nazis to be peaceful?
This was not going to be a peace march. The violent outcome was inevitable.

I hold the city officials at least partly responsible for the young lady's brutal murder.
You have to let them march, 1st amendment and all.

What happened was the city didn't want them to march so they allowed the sides to clash (the police were called back) so they then could shut it down for public safety concerns. This resulted in many injured and 1 dead. Her parents should absolutely sue the mayor and the city and that kind of backhanded way of getting around the 1st amendment should not be tolerated.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:41 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,958,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
You have to let them march, 1st amendment and all.

What happened was the city didn't want them to march so they allowed the sides to clash (the police were called back) so they then could shut it down for public safety concerns. This resulted in many injured and 1 dead. Her parents should absolutely sue the mayor and the city and that kind of backhanded way of getting around the 1st amendment should not be tolerated.
They could have cited public safety concerns to deny the permit in the first place. It happens all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the officials were sympathetic to their cause so they allowed it.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
They could have cited public safety concerns to deny the permit in the first place. It happens all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the officials were sympathetic to their cause so they allowed it.
Hopefully you are incorrect about that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies