Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:57 AM

46,975 posts, read 26,026,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why would the pro-Confederacy party of then be the anti-Confederacy party today?
There's no logic to BB's thinking at all. Case in point: The Lynching Museum in Alabama was backed by progressives and forcefully opposed by Alabama conservatives - who instead went to battle to preserve the statues that glorify those who fought for slavery.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gomery-alabama

If Southern GOPers were raising a memorial or two for those who died in chains, BB's claims could even have some logic. But they'd rather cling to their glorious past and wave their participation trophies. So - to steal a Trump slogan - eff their feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 10:02 AM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
I don't think it matters much.
I don't support Democrats because they are so over-represented by narrow minded groups and individuals who claim some sort of superiority.
Like BLM. Maxine Waters. Harry Reid. The Clintons. Obama.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Democrat Party has absolutely no values they did 50 years ago:

The party of the Dixiecrats all the way through the 60's?
Then the big switch would have had to happen in the 70's and 80's. It was not spontaneous with the Great Society.
That is what the lie is.

It started in the 1930's.
The Black vote went from 15% Democrat to 70%, in 4 years.

The benefits of the NEW DEAL did it. Jobs and economic freedom, put racism on the back burner. Not getting rid of the KKK or Jim Crow. It was a foustium bargain. Economic benefits for being in bed with your enemies.

As racism in the South declines in the 70's & 80's is it a coincidence, Republicans started to make gains in the south.
It was not because more white people moved to the south from the north.

The most racist southerners remained Democrat. The least racist flipped to Republican.
Republican appeal with more industry and prosperity came to the south, of equal opportunity, free markets, prosperity appealed to southerners of all races.
Democrats have sold the south on a guilt trip.

The democrat party in the North & South, worshiped slavery. Republicans were not in the south at all, only the north. Only the Republicans opposed it.

What you are told today is a lie and a disguise, to hide the responsibility for ALL the horrors committed upon American people by Democrats for the last 150 years.....

No matter who you have been told to hate, you will join right in with them for the right price. Economic freedom, puts enemies away.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 13,719,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
[u]

The most racist southerners remained Democrat.
Those people are all dead now and their sons, daughters, grandsons and granddaughters are all Republicans who doggedly defend their "democrat" southern ancestors and their beloved battle flag. I guess you haven't noticed?

Old 12-16-2018, 10:33 AM

858 posts, read 425,263 times
The party of states rights in 1860 was the Democrats

The party of states rights in 2018 is the Republicans

Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,595,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We know where the Democrats and Republicans were several decades ago but where are YOU today? A better question is this: Would you have been a Democrat or a Republican in 1860? An honest answer will be appreciated.
Good luck.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:43 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,118,342 times
Quote:
The Party of ALL American horrors. Will you apologize and take responsibility, instead of trying to erase it and pin it on Republicans???????
Explain how the pro-Confederate party became the anti-Confederate party. You can't bc you ALWAYS RUN AWAY from that rebuttal. It smashes your entire argument and takes your only plank for repeating that Confederate revisionism nonsense.

I look forward to watching you dodge this question again.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:50 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times
Interesting "arguments". The past only matters if it can be blamed on Republicans, but if it's something the Dems did, "they're all dead now", "that was the past, what about now", blah, blah, blah.

The hypocrisy on the left never ends.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:54 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,918,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We know where the Democrats and Republicans were several decades ago but where are YOU today? A better question is this: Would you have been a Democrat or a Republican in 1860? An honest answer will be appreciated.
Of course, no answer on this.

Also doesn't matter if someone doesn't belong to a political party.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Quote:
I
8.) The party that place Japanese Americans in interment

So today, it is lie through your teeth and blame everyone else. America did it. The whiteman did it. The southerners did it. Republicans did it.
Everyone except the evil party, that actually did it. Democrat Control Freaks.

Change My Mind.
My relative was in Japanese American internment camp during ww2. She looked nothing like a Japanese woman because she was mixed. To her, that is the biggest "WTH" moment and this just did not make sense to her. She certainly won't blame the country as a whole, she blamed the Democratic party.

She passed away a long time ago, but she was a person who would never vote Democrat, it is all personal to her.

To me, I will be honest. I think it doesn't matter who was in charge back then, internment camp would have taken place. First, it was caused by a very understandable fear for the security of the country. Japan had managed to pull off the attack on Pearl Harbor, which no one had thought was possible.

Plus, FDR gave the Japanese-Americans a chance to fight on the American side in Europe, which many did.

Can't say internment camp is based on racism, so for this reason, I don't blame the donkeys.

Blaming any parties for their so called "racist" past is a bit ridiculous in my opinion, but if modern day Democrats think there are no racists in their party, they need some reality check for sure.

I grew up in an upper middle class beach community, many people have said horrible things about minorities, veterans, interracial couples, gay people, and poor people who are on welfare, many people ended up being Democrats. I learned at an early age that party line means nothing, kindness from the heart defines a person, not the party they belong to.

All these being said, I understand and agree with the point OP is making. It looks like the past "sin" only matters when one can blame GOP or white folks. I think there is definitely a double standard.

My fiance used to have a roommate who is a college professor, he said he hated ALL republicans and southerners, he said he could never be a racist because he was a liberal. I understand it is all emotion talk, but it is scary that he is a college professor. To me, the guy is the biggest bigot I have ever known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies