Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:31 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times

Advertisements

Trump had no idea if the stock market was inflated or not.

Just as he has no idea what is going on now.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:11 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Trump's economics not helping. Removing and cutting taxes on corporation's allowed them to stop investing into their own business. The progressive tax system created a system for business to expand and spend and use tax credits. Some may pay more then before and will not expand.

So we now have the largest generation going into retirement. All those job openings were going to happen any way. Trump has slowed down the movement of money and with his debt taken all the money for debt into the Govt.. Treasuries at the highest levels I have ever seen.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:29 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Right. So when the stock market falls, blame it on the Democrats. When the stock market rises, credit Trump. Who doesn't love tautologies?
The "great recession" started when the Democrats took over the Congress in 2009. The markets tanked when the Democrats took over the House in 2018. I see a pattern.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is odd how the stock market was rising like never before after Trump was elected and then the mid terms hit and the blue tide came in and now the stock market is sinking?

There are natural ups and downs with the stock market and to credit Trump or Obama or anyone else is ridiculous and having it tied to any one political party is crazy.
Totally agree -- but if Trump asks us to look at our 401K and connect what it is doing to him -- then we will.

Thanks for trying to cover up for the idiot President who put himself in the position of being responsible for our 401K's. We like to play along with him.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:40 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
The markets go in cycles and we were due for a downturn anyway. There is a myriad of reasons why it's happening now.

In the end, right or wrong, Trump will take the blame for a market downturn though. People always blame the president in power when the economy goes south (just ask Hoover or Carter). With Trump, he's drawn attention to himself by boasting so much when things were doing well so it just makes the blame all that much more focused on him. Kind of like shouting, "Hey, look at me!" and then things not going the way you planned. I think it would have been wiser for him (reputation-wise) to play his cards closer to his chest and be a little more humble. But that's not him/his personality.

My 401k is down. I am staying the course though. Things will go back up again and I have a couple of decades to wait it out. I have my asset allocation and I stick to it. I adjust things once a year to keep the allocation I want (80/20 for me). I also dollar cost average, so lows like this seem good for me because I buy shares on sale. The flip side is highs are good too because then what I invested is doing well. Market timing is not my forte and I don't bother with it.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:55 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The "great recession" started when the Democrats took over the Congress in 2009. The markets tanked when the Democrats took over the House in 2018. I see a pattern.
It's amusing watching the factoids the Trumpets make up for themselves. To wit: The Great Recession officially began in December 2007, almost a year before the 2008 election, and more than a year before the Democrats took office in January 2009.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:29 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Just a reminder, that if your 401K is down so much that you are stressing about it, you probably shouldn't be so highly invested in stocks. This goon will likely be out of office in ~2 years. If you only have ~2 year window on retirement, stocks shouldn't be so heavy as a % of your portfolio that you are panicking.

But I'll also stick to my guns and say that this is an economic cycle way more than it is anything to do with any POTUS (R or D) that falsely claims ownership of the growth of stocks.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:32 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,313 times
We’ve been in a bull market for 9-10 years , it was past due time for a downturn. The problem is Trump has made it worse with tax cut that wasn’t needed and his erratic behavior with tariffs and in general.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Uhm, do you not remember the Fall of 2008? The fall of Lehman Brothers and severe financial crisis that occurred months before Obama was even elected, less innaugurated? There was a literal fear that ran through the veins of the U.S. in September 2008 and was a big reason why Obama was elected the first time. I swear that some people on this board have selective memory.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
We’ve been in a bull market for 9-10 years , it was past due time for a downturn. The problem is Trump has made it worse with tax cut that wasn’t needed and his erratic behavior with tariffs and in general.
No matter how many times I repeat this it doesn't seem to get through.

The markets have made less than 5% a year compounded since the year 2000.

That means we are far behind the eight ball now. If they made normal returns for these 18 years, we'd be at 40K plus.

Please - stop repeating that we are at the end of a bull market. 4.75% is not a good return for the stock market.

If we lose 30% and then have a year where it increases 25%, that is not a bull market. Time matters - and performance over time is the ONLY thing that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies