Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not defending the church but when a similar report came about PA dioceses the bulk of the abuse and priests listed went back decades, some of them to the 30's and 40's. Most of the priests listed were dead. In Pittsburgh for example I think the bishop mentioned none of the cases occurred in the last 25 to 30 years.

While there is no excuse for what happened in the past and anything that has continued to today bear that in mind. It's likely the same here and it's likely not 700 active cases/priests.
Victims of (all ages and genders) of sexual abuse have historically been inclined to feel shame which often meant they did not report it or pursue it.

When confronted, no shortage of institutions engaged in denial, cover ups, hush money payments and victim blaming.

No shortage of pedophiles who rationalize their behaviors and view themselves as victims.

The culture has substantially changed and no longer tolerates what it once did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 12:32 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
When predators infiltrate institutions of religion, it's not surprising when the congregation bolts for the door.
Its the only response the business understands, and the RCC approached their reprehensible actions like a business, showing no moral compass 95% of the time.

Boston was a great exception POST Bernie Law-as Law's successor forbade the archdiocese from using Bankruptcy Court as a shield vs lawsuits. Closed 66 parishes instead. He manned up.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:34 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
700 X's 50 states in America at the minimum.
Sickening. Yet the faithful continue to fill up them collection baskets and envelops each week.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:44 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Charge them, try them, and lock them up if convicted!

Old 12-22-2018, 12:56 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I am not a lapsed Catholic yet. But I am struggling. I still go to Church every Sunday and holy days, but stopped giving any money to the church at all (I give to charities that help the poor now) and my heart isn't in it. The scandals just never seem to end.
I was raised Pentecostal but attended Catholic school. I became Catholic at 16 and over the years studied its history and became deeply spiritual, with its greatest insights in prayer and ethics. I still consider myself Catholic but I attend Episcopal, Lutheran, and Methodist Churches. I go where the spirit leads me. If one day I am led back to a Catholic Church I will go. However, I also no longer trust them as a body. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Personally I don't know how anyone could remain Catholic after all of these problems.
I'm Protestant by the way-- we don't have these issues.
Just calling it like I see it.
Pedophilia is a human problem. Protestants have it. The difference is Catholics have a Top Down organizational structure that has hidden and used it's influence to hide it and to protect offenders. Jehovist Witnesses have done similar. Local Baptist and other Churches are normally run by local presbyters or by the pastors so the news stays in house. No one may know the number of times a local minister might be abusing a child by denominational adfiliation for that reason. I sadly, fear the numbers are enormous as well.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:11 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5uiMkdACkINA2E. And I am sure in Islam, Judaism, and Orthodoxy Christian. We as a society have to protect our kids.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:26 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
When will people boycott the Church?

They should, God did NOTHING to STOP the sexual abuse.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
They should, God did NOTHING to STOP the sexual abuse.
People were in place to prevent, stop, and help but they failed to do their part. In Church there is a confessional prayer that includes the line " Forgive me for the wrong I have done and
the good I have left undone ". We all have our roles to play, its our free will to do it. Death, suffering,aging, disease, war do not disprove that God exists. Watching people acting in faith despite human hardships prooves his existence.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:01 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It’s a curious thing that no one seems to doubt those who accuse clergy of sexual molestation while at the same time being skeptical about a woman who makes a similar claim about a man.

In most cases the accusations against clergy go back decades. Yet when a woman comes forth with an allegation decades old, it is too common to dismiss her claim.

( Not talking about Kavenaugh thing. I tend to think both he and his accuser misremember many things)

Seems to me there has been a historic institutional bias to protect men who behaved badly, especially when the male is perceived to be in a position of authority.

I attended Catholic school through 7th grade. It was understood by the kids it was necessary to avoid being alone with certain members of the clergy. Unimaginable at that time, anyone would ever mention this to a parent or a nun.

That the church continues to protect the identies of the clergy down to which parishes, is troubling.

Most priests have never engaged in molestation. Yet their silence makes them complicit.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies