Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:00 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Aw the Heck with it! As I said earlier, the U$ doesn't have a gun problem, so much as it has an American problem!
If you all love your guns THAT much, have at it! Eliminate any and all gun laws and regs, and let the chips fall where they may! Maybe crime and violence will drop; if not, well, less Americans on the planet can't be TOO bad a thing, right?

You are correct in indicating that we have a American problem, for guns will not fire of their own accord. It requires a person to be pulling the trigger. We have a problem where our own citizens are willing to commit crimes against their fellow Americans.

But it is quite rude to want the elimination of your own citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 12:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Your post makes little sense. First you put out the assumption that others do their thinking for me, which they do not but actually those that blindly agree with gun control laws who have no knowledge of guns themselves are the ones allowing others to spoon feed their position to them.

Secondly nobody including pro gun ownership people want nutjobs or murderers to have guns, and feel saddened as well when someone is murdered by one, or actually murdered in general because a gun doesn't make murder less awful than if done by some other means. I think that we would agree that those women murdered in Morocco met a dreadful fate with a blade.

Your last paragraph basically is insinuating the notion " if you aren't doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about", if so there should be no problem with random searches done by police on say minorities right? But we all know that is wrong.
Maybe you should read it again.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Because you want too much and when given an inch you'll want more. After the Florida shooting there was two proposals on the table in the Senate both of which would of had trouble with SCOTUS particularity the Democrat bill . The Republican backed bill endorsed by the NRA would have prevented someone on the Do not fly list from purchasing a gun for three days, permanently with a court order if the government could convince judge to strip someone of their rights. The Democrat bill on the other hand would of required the person having their rights stripped by a bureaucratic decision to prove why they shouldn't lose them, that's unacceptable. If the government wants to take someone's rights it should be their responsibility to show why.

The Democrat bill was doomed for failure from the start however the Republican bill would of passed with some support from Democrats. Because of their all or nothing attitude there is no law.
Nope. I actually just want nutjobs not to own guns.

That’s it. I have no problem with guns in the hands of sane individuals.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
As stated dozens of times, nobody wants nut jobs to have guns. But none of these proposed gun laws will affect anybody except legal non-criminal gun owners! Not a one! I can’t understand why that’s so hard to understand! Anybody set on killing won’t be deterred by any of these proposed laws.
Let’s quit having laws!

Old 12-22-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Because your idea of reasonable and my idea of reasonable are two very different things.

We've already gone WAY past reasonable.
Do you want guns in the hands of crazy people?

That’s all I want to avoid that we cannot seem to avoid now.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:25 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Who wouldn't want reasonable gun laws?

I realize that people are trained by whoever they get their news from to fear losing the 2nd amendment or something, but that one isn't likely to go away.

So, why not want nutjobs not to have guns?

I mean, if you're not a nutjob yourself, do you fear that others might think you are? If so, you may want to do some soul searching an re-evaluate your public image.
Quote:
Maybe you should read it again.
Quote:
Nope. I actually just want nutjobs not to own guns.

That’s it. I have no problem with guns in the hands of sane individuals.
Quote:
Let’s quit having laws!
Quote:
Do you want guns in the hands of crazy people?

That’s all I want to avoid that we cannot seem to avoid now.
The problem as you put it in the first post. " I mean, if you're not a nutjob yourself, do you fear that others might think you are? If so, you may want to do some soul searching an re-evaluate your public image."

There already is a number of people that feel that there is no need for anyone to own guns. example would be why does anyone need a gun. It has never been about need. At this point in time, guns are not illegal, I am allowed to own them, so I do.

But as the number of people grows that believe that a person should not own a gun. The number of people who you think that I am crazy because I do will grow.

So a valid and vital part of determining who is crazy and who is not, will have to have agreed upon guidelines that both sides the pro gun crowd and the anti gun crowd to agree too.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:26 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Some people were screaming that Obama was going to take everyone's guns when he was elected.

Never happened. But the right still has to create a boogeyman in order to scare the ignorant into voting republican.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
8 years, Obama never once came for guns.

Because he was limited to EO's and existing laws, given his past voting record and comments on this issue he certainly would have if the opportunity was there.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:44 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
These aren't "reasonable" nor "common "sense" gun control laws. They do nothing but restrict the law abiding. They won't reduce violent crime nor murder, and they aren't intended to. They are to further control the law abiding, as that are the only people that follow laws. States like CA already have extremely restrictive gun laws. These are just even more extreme, and ridiculous. Glad I don't live there anymore.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Eliminate any and all gun laws and regs, and let the chips fall where they may! Maybe crime and violence will drop; ....

Generally speaking areas of the country with the highest rates of legal gun ownership have the lowest rates of murder by firearm, this is mostly upper mid western states. On the other hand certain neighborhoods in Chicago which have some of the lowest rates of legal gun ownership have some the highest rates of gun violence. This does not always play put like this, Louisiana has a very high rate of legal gun ownership and a very high rate gun violence. You can also compare CA to PA, both have large metropolitan areas and large rural areas. There is slightly higher rate of legal gun ownership in PA and slightly higher rate of gun violence in CA but they are not much different, CA has very strict gun laws while PA does not....

In any event the point is these statistics can be all over the place. At the end of the day it boils down to the people that live in any given area, the amount of legally owned guns or lack of them isn't the driving factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies