Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:48 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I hate to burst any conservative snot bubbles here but most illegals are here because they overstayed their visas.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Building a wall will only mean that illegals will have to adapt. It will not stop illegal immigration.
TRANSLATION: If a wall won't stop absolutely 100% of all illegal aliens crossing into the United States, then we should not build it. We should implement no solution that lets even a few illegal aliens sneak in or remain. So, we should let the 100% keep coming in instead, until a perfect method is found.

And these Trump-haters think they are the ones who should be running our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 09:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But the counter argument is, if an illegal person who hardly has any education and he hardly has any command over the English, can take your American job then you probably need to get off your drugs and fix your own life.

They are hired because they will accept a sub standard wage the US worker will not accept.

Quote:
And we will probably have more hue and cry of high umeployment rates when Robots start picking tomatoes.
It's inevitable and the only thing in question is when. At the very least you are creating jobs in the tech sector, some day the bots/AI will take every imaginable job but that is for another discussion.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:00 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Building a wall will only mean that illegals will have to adapt. It will not stop illegal immigration.

more border patrol agents, more vehicles and advanced technology would be more sufficient. Harsher penalties for those who hire illegals would also help tremendously.

The part about more agents and CBP resources is provably false. We have released into the US over 1000 illegal migrants in the past week because of court restrictions on detention. Catching them isn't the problem. That's turned into nothing but a stop for refreshments and health care along their journey. We must either change how we handle those caught or erect a barrier to reduce the number getting here to be caught. Democrats are fiercely opposed to both.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:06 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The majority of those illegally here, came legally to start with, and let papers lapse.

It's true, a lot of them do.

I don't know if I'd say it's the majority of them though.

I used to work with a lot of illegals and many of the ones who came here by overstaying a visa would occasionally go back home to visit and spend the money they made here and then come back.

When they did that, they crossed the border illegaly

Last edited by FatBob96; 12-28-2018 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
You're never going to stop illegal immigration, the object of the wall/fence/barrier is to make it more difficult. It's like a lock on your door. If a thief wants inside your home/car/whatever bad enough, they will find a way in, but the lock slows them down, so hopefully, the police will arrive before they can make off with the stolen property.

I'm aware the liberals will use this same argument in favor of gun control, but we have this thing called the Second Amendment. There is no constitutional right to immigrate illegally into this country.

This.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
you are comparing 2nd amendment to illegal immigration?

so which part of the US Constitution requires that we must take in everybody in the world?

I'm waiting for your response

But....but..... there's a poem on the Statue of Liberty......

Old 12-28-2018, 10:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I used to work with a lot of illegals and many of the ones who came her by overstaying a visa would occasionally go back home to visit and spend the money they made here and then come back.

When they did that, they crossed the border illegaly

Good point. An overstay will be assumed for every temporary visa that expires where the departure has not been recorded. For air travel, airlines check documents and trasnmit manifests to the government. But for land travel, I have never had my documents checked by US Immigration on my exit. I have crossed many times at Matamoros, Reynosa, Nvo Laredo, and Eagle Pass. Used to be you didn't even pass by US officials then they set up a booth where they basically look at you and wave you by while your photo gets recorded.

There is the same problem in reverse for those American tourists visiting Mexico. Anyone who has been there knows they make a big deal about holding onto your tourist permit and airlines reuire you to turn it in on departure, but exit by land it is easy to bypass checking out.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:27 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION:....And these Trump-haters think.........
Uh, no. They really don't.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:36 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Uh, no. They really don't.
They really do. It's the same old tired excuse.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:41 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Same argument. What say you now conservatives, trumpsters, and repubs?
It can’t be made logically. Otherwise you have to say that any law that is made will just be broken by criminals. So why make any law? I started a thread on a similar premise long ago, also crickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies