Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 07:37 AM

30,287 posts, read 18,844,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Your posting is rather all over the place, but I will attempt to answer your question.

I worked, for 30 years, as an attorney for the Office of Hearings and Appeals, part of the Social Security Administration. I retire June 30, 2018.

The budget is odd. There is money for reviewing disability claims, and money for 'cessation' claims.

When Ronald Reagan became President, he ordered a 'Bell Review" of those on disability. Bell, I believe, was named for some official. Anyway, it resulted in many thousands of those on disability being reviewed, and ceased. When I joined in 1988, it was at the tail end of the review.

I wrote quite a few 'cessation' cases over the next decade or so, then they began to dwindle. Under Obama, they increased some, and continued under Trump. However, my prediction (made herein two years ago) that Trump would order a Reagan scope review had not occurred, as of my departure. I have no knowledge of anything since July 1st.

The problem is, the number of Federal employees dedicated to 'cessation' of disability recipients has always been marginal. I recall that, at one point, the number of investigators for Texas was two people.

Yes, two. These two guys went about the state looking for disability fraud. I loved those cases: they would focus on one person and take video of the 'disabled claimant' doing activities inconsistent with their disability.

I had predicted that Trump would order another 'Bell review" of disability people. As of my departure, it had not occurred.

Why?

My thought: many Trump supporters are on disability. Look closely, as I have, at the postings of Trump supporters herein: many are dependent on disability.

I am a physician who used to practice in the Midwest, but now in east TN. In Iowa, I encountered very few people on SS disability that did not appear to need it. Here, it is a "right of passage" that it appears every male over 30 years of age is on SS disability.

I would bet that the % of citizens on SS disability is inversely related to the economic prosperity of a region and particularly in areas in which there has been a recent elimination of the job base (coal and textiles here).

I have a very good private disability policy; I have had a couple rounds of cancer with surgeries and chemo and find working to be very challenging as a result. I could seek disability (I certainly qualify), but feel it is the obligation of everyone to work if you can and want to avoid being dependent on anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:06 AM

1,199 posts, read 642,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I just read where States are cracking down in food stamp fraud big time, but that got me to thinking...could Social Security Disability fraud be an even larger dollar amount?

I read where in Puerto Rico a very large % of people on our Social Security disability there and fraud is rampant. I'm sure it is here too, but I recall its much worse there.

Shouldn't we crack down on all of that too?

Maybe use able-bodied people who are on food stamps, and have them work part time rooting out SS Disability fraudsters.

Or, hire unemployed Veterens and train them to identify all kinds of entitlement fraud?
Disability fraud is a significant problem, but you should probably stop spouting fake news about Puerto Rico.
Residents of Puerto Rico are not eligible for SSI (Supplemental Security Income - the means-tested form of social security disability benefits). They may be eligible for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), but you have to pay into that system, as the "Insurance" in the name would suggest.

You say you read about a "very large % of people" in Puerto Rico on social security disability? The number is around 2 (two) percent. It's actually lower than in any of the 50 U.S. states. Go look up the numbers for West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee (to name a few), and then you can come back with your tail between your legs and explain why you singled out Puerto Rico.

I'm guessing you read some article like this one (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fed...-speak-spanish). And because you don't understand how the system works, and you don't like people who are brown and don't speak 'Murican, you assumed there was some sort of fraud going on.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:16 AM

45,674 posts, read 24,155,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I just read where States are cracking down in food stamp fraud big time, but that got me to thinking...could Social Security Disability fraud be an even larger dollar amount?

I read where in Puerto Rico a very large % of people on our Social Security disability there and fraud is rampant. I'm sure it is here too, but I recall its much worse there.

Shouldn't we crack down on all of that too?

Maybe use able-bodied people who are on food stamps, and have them work part time rooting out SS Disability fraudsters.

Or, hire unemployed Veterens and train them to identify all kinds of entitlement fraud?
Where did you read about the fraud in Puerto Rico?

The biggest case of fraud was an Eastern Kentucky lawyer -- yup -- a good ole boy.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-15-more-years

An eastern Kentucky disability attorney who masterminded the largest Social Security fraud in history has been sentenced to an additional 15 years in prison for fleeing the country in an effort to avoid prosecution.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 AM

18,956 posts, read 8,585,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The problem with that "gotcha" approach to weeding out disability fraud is that just because someone may be capable of doing things occasionally that a casual observer may think is inconsistent with their disability doesn't mean that they're capable of doing it 8 hours a day 40 hours a week.

It's like when you see someone with handicap plates walk out their car and into a store.....not all handicaps are readily apparent to others.
Good point. With my back I could have been on SS disability for decades. Most days you'd never know.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am a physician who used to practice in the Midwest, but now in east TN. In Iowa, I encountered very few people on SS disability that did not appear to need it. Here, it is a "right of passage" that it appears every male over 30 years of age is on SS disability.

I would bet that the % of citizens on SS disability is inversely related to the economic prosperity of a region and particularly in areas in which there has been a recent elimination of the job base (coal and textiles here).

I have a very good private disability policy; I have had a couple rounds of cancer with surgeries and chemo and find working to be very challenging as a result. I could seek disability (I certainly qualify), but feel it is the obligation of everyone to work if you can and want to avoid being dependent on anyone.
Many of us get around and manage some work despite disability. When the economy turned sour after 2008 many lost jobs. And those that had disability were pushed to go for it.

Best of luck with your health!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,634,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
https://www.cbpp.org/research/social...nsurance-wrong

"SSDI beneficiaries are typically less educated, with long careers in blue-collar or service-sector work, and disproportionately live in the South, Appalachia, or the Great Lakes region"
I worked with this population in Appalachia and they were typically less educated but several had never had any kind of 'long career'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I had predicted that Trump would order another 'Bell review" of disability people. As of my departure, it had not occurred.

Why?

My thought: many Trump supporters are on disability. Look closely, as I have, at the postings of Trump supporters herein: many are dependent on disability.
This is my experience when I worked with this population in WV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What's worse is children can get disability checks. Children don't work and earn so what is being compensated for?
I saw one of those 'Dateline' type shows (can't remember) but it was about a poor family on disability. They were elated when one of their children was tested for some kind of learning disability because that meant they would get more money?

I can't remember exactly how it worked out but it was EXTREMELY depressing and I remember wondering what kind of chance this kid would have at a normal life.

The mother also kept demanding her adult son call the disability office to make an appointment; he was out of work. He resisted for a while but finally gave in and by the end of the show, he was on board to collect a disability check.

The whole thing was basically a way of life for this entire family.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:51 AM

15,787 posts, read 9,630,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's like when you see someone with handicap plates walk out their car and into a store.....not all handicaps are readily apparent to others.
This was a lesson I had to learn the hard way. When I use one of the scooters at Walmart, I have felt like people were looking at me and thinking I should not have to use one. I'm a relatively young guy, look a little younger than I am. I'm thin . So I feel like they are judging me. If they ever saw me get out of the cart back then, they'd understand better or if I had worn shorts instead of jeans.

People don't understand what others are going through, as you alluded to. Not every "looks" disabled. Some days are better than others. For me, I have not used a scooter since before Thanksgiving! But when I walk from the pharmacy to the milk, I can feel it.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 12,398,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Good point. With my back I could have been on SS disability for decades. Most days you'd never know.
And it wouldn't be fraud if you were on disability. People think whatever they don't approve of must be some kind of scam, but most recipients are perfectly legit through the system.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And it wouldn't be fraud if you were on disability. People think whatever they don't approve of must be some kind of scam, but most recipients are perfectly legit through the system.
As a doc I did disability exams for CA and AZ for 20 years. Almost all were significantly disabled. Interestingly enough, almost all were smokers too!

Old 12-27-2018, 03:38 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,936,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I know someone who's parents crossed illegally from Mexico, had him here via our 14th amendment. He entered our military. After 2 years of service, no war going on at the time, he was able to get his parents on SS disability. His FIL's only disability was being a chronic alcoholic. Neither paid taxes here or worked a day in their lives here.

Welcome to America.
Very narrow provision for aliens:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/s...n-citizens.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies