Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:53 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,189,488 times

Advertisements

How many people here really think it would be better for society as a whole to kick off the mentally ill disabled with multiple hospitalizations and a potential for workplace violence from ss disability? Many have been put out on the streets after shutting down the psych hospitals, and those people are basically unwanted by family - although a few might be given an opportunity, most are certainly not trusted by employers to get any job done consistently. Getting disability is not a glamourous sort of thing. The monthy income is around $750 without much more since even that small amount is considered to be too high. IRL, people pretty much write you off as stupid and avoid you in all situations.

Just because you see someone walking around and not "looking" disabled means nothing. You have no idea what they can or cannot do by standing behind someone in line at a grocery store. Shopping is not a usual workplace skill (even Instacart shoppers must have access to a vehicle, be in good enough shape to get around fast, and be very good dealing with people). Walking, signing your name, or making light conversation (things you might see a disabled person do in public) are not workplace skills either. Long-term employment requires appropriate and ongoing social skills, being high-functioning enough both mentally and physically along with a constant level of accuracy in doing the job which someone with severe mental and/or physical limitations often can't handle on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 12:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
The monthy income is around $750

You are referring to SSI(welfare - called Supplemental Security Income) which is different from Social Security Disability Income (SSDI).

SSDI can pay much higher per month because the rate is based on how many years someone worked and how much money they paid for Social Security tax over their lifetime.

SSI is welfare for disabled/poor that didn't contribute enough/or at all into Social Security Taxes thus they don't qualify for SSDI. The money source for each program is different.

The topic if this thread is about SSDI, not SSI.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You are referring to SSI(welfare - called Supplemental Security Income) which is different from Social Security Disability Income (SSDI).

SSDI can pay much higher per month because the rate is based on how many years someone worked and how much money they paid for Social Security tax over their lifetime.

SSI is welfare for disabled/poor that didn't contribute enough/or at all into Social Security Taxes thus they don't qualify for SSDI. The money source for each program is different.

SSDI can also be $750. I am not speakinig of SSI. I am speaking of Social Security Disability Income. It does not pay higher to everyone.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
SSDI can also be $750. I am not speakinig of SSI. I am speaking of Social Security Disability Income. It does not pay higher to everyone.
SSDI can vary greatly from person to person and can be much higher than $750/mo and can also be lower.

SSI is fixed at $750/mo and doesn't vary from person to person.

Mentally ill disabled often get the $750/mo SSI because they don't qualify for SSDI due to not having worked enough. Although I suppose some collect a death benefit off their parent's SS if the parent died and if they are considered a dependent due to being mentally disabled.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:58 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,421,574 times
I have significant issues that I suspect if I tried hard enough I could get disability. But for now I can work. I'm 48. I think my disability check would be about $2,500 or a bit more. And I just cant imagine trying to live on it, and one of the people I am dating will get on SSI with no work history...and try and survive on $750 a month. Its mind boggling.

And yet.....2 of my children are disabled (one due to ADHD-which I also have). And survive off of $750 each along with their mom-who honestly absolutely could work. My GF's brother is a disabled vet....who works. My son I just mentioned? He is working too, but only part time. His income is a mixture of disability and work, and I think working is the majority at the moment.

Peoples stories are all different. Our work ethic is different. There are absolutely some folks taking advantage of the system. But a lot arent.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:44 PM

19,724 posts, read 12,304,284 times
Quote:

Either could commit fraud so it is a topic for both.

However, most people receiving it do legally qualify even if they don't seem like they do. That is all that matters.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
SSDI can vary greatly from person to person and can be much higher than $750/mo and can also be lower.

SSI is fixed at $750/mo and doesn't vary from person to person.

Mentally ill disabled often get the $750/mo SSI because they don't qualify for SSDI due to not having worked enough. Although I suppose some collect a death benefit off their parent's SS if the parent died and if they are considered a dependent due to being mentally disabled.

Yes, mentally ill disabled who have worked more than 10 years but at a low income and no benefit from parents receive nowhere near a $1400 and up a month ss check.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:41 PM

I suppose my main reason for being drawn to this thread is that I would like anyone to show me what job hires people on how well they can wash up in t he morning, get on a bus, shop for themselves, and walk to the mailbox. These are basic skills needed to get about as well as possible as a human being, NOT JOB SKILLS. When a person qualifies as disabled, this means they are not capable of performing even the most minimal workplace tasks for an extended amount of time on any job. Yes, perhaps I am that person who can cross the street on my own, walk several blocks on good days, and can even cook a fairly decent meal for myself ever so often. To add to this, being good at a hobby is not a job skill (unless of course you can turn that hobby into income - few can). Does any of this mean I can safely drive 20 rides with Uber, stand on my feet stocking shelves correctly for eight hours, work a cash register without numerous errors while at the same time meeting and greeting customers with a clear, level head throughout the workday? No, it does not.

I have worked plenty in my lifetime, many different jobs and skills levels - have even been in the position of hiring and firing. Not once did I hire a job candidate for basic life skills or hobbies they were good at. Being able to sit in a chair crocheting does not qualify you to take orders at Starbucks. It doesn't even qualify you to teach crocheting.

I think a lot of people without any major physical/mental limitations find it hard to understand what it is like for people with these major health challenges.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for weeding out fraudsters because it takes from those who truly need help. I just think we should stop assuming to know everything about a person's ability to hold down a regular job based on how they present themselves in public places.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 PM

15,722 posts, read 9,558,026 times
I am on disability in part for mental illness. Severe depression and anxiety leaves me near incapacitated many days although I am presently doing decently. My doctor calls it double depression. She explained to me that it is depression on top of depression. She said if you think about someone with bi-polar, their normal line is pretty much on par with everyone else. It's their highs and lows which cause them to need help. Thy get depressed on their lows and are frantic when on their highs.

As someone with double depression, she said my highs are what everyone else's normal is. My normal is what everyone's depression is and my depression is basically under water. At my lowest, I give up on self-care. I sometimes sleep for 24 hours at a time. I don't leave my house or even open the front door. I don't bather or brush my hair or clean up my house. I know this is broad stroking it and I mention it to make a point. If you saw me, you likely would not know I have a mental disability. You'd just think I need to brush my hair. But I have thirteen suicide attempts -- I'm not very good at it -- over the last three and a half years.

I'm also worried about my disability. I'm worried Trump will start mucking around with it. Maybe he'll take a phone call from one of hi friends who rants to him about Social Security. Maybe he will want to take some money out of SS to pay for that damn wall. Maybe they'll just cut it back enough so that people who don't look like they have a disability are erased from the rolls. This all plays havoc with my anxiety levels.

It's easy for us to sit at our keyboards or on our phones and claim that massive disability fraud exists and must be stopped. Or that people are illegally getting handicapped plates. Or that people use food stamps inside the store then go outside and get in their expensive cars. We don't know what is going on in people's lives and should be careful to judge without all the facts.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:29 PM

6,166 posts, read 4,639,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
My thought: many Trump supporters are on disability. Look closely, as I have, at the postings of Trump supporters herein: many are dependent on disability.
And oftentimes are ironically the same people griping about tax dollars being wasted, while showing an acute lack of understanding on what they're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I just wish the working class had more resentment towards those on disability and welfare.
Maybe only for people who are genuinely gaming the system. But I would also hope the resentment would be aimed at corporate welfare, such as the pork barrel spending from the Pentagon for military contractors:

https://www.thenation.com/article/th...orate-welfare/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am a physician who used to practice in the Midwest, but now in east TN. In Iowa, I encountered very few people on SS disability that did not appear to need it. Here, it is a "right of passage" that it appears every male over 30 years of age is on SS disability.

I would bet that the % of citizens on SS disability is inversely related to the economic prosperity of a region and particularly in areas in which there has been a recent elimination of the job base (coal and textiles here).
You would be correct:

https://247wallst.com/special-report...-disability-3/

A lot of it also has to be with these states having jobs that more commonly include physical labor that are more likely to create a disability due to the nature of the jobs that are common to these locations.

Last edited by Jowel; 12-28-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies