Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 06:38 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,541,708 times

Advertisements

Get uit right. People oppose the wall more than the money itself. That 5 billion dollars could go a long way helping the right agencies find people overstaying their visas. You can be for better border patrol and be against the wall. It's even possible to not be against the wall in theory, but understand that building it and all the legalities involved with acquiring land in spots is going to be hard and expensive.

Also, not everyone against the wall is for giving foreign aid to anyone. It would be better if you knew someone had come out against the wall also came out in support of foreign aid. Otherwise, yu're talking about a hypothetical creature. Like a unicorn, perhaps.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:45 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
It’s a joke because a 2200 mile wall is not the best form of border security and would be a huge boondoggle. Border security needs to be comprehensive and not just focusing on the wall.
Once again, there is no plan for a wall on the entire border. I don't know how many times this has to be repeated. It's for the 700 miles on the most porous areas of the border that was already passed by congress back in 2006. WTH is comprehensive border security?

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...mplementation/

Old 01-02-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I read your post the first 200 times you have posted it. I find them still lacking validity.

What makes you think that?

Old 01-02-2019, 06:48 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,594,293 times
Foreign aid and the border wall serve two entirely different purposes. One is designed to increase American soft power and influence in areas like geopolitics and trade while helping keep America hegemonic despite the rise of other foreign powers. The other is an expensive monument to Trump masquerading as a solution to illegal immigration, despite the fact that thinking people know better.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Get uit right. People oppose the wall more than the money itself. That 5 billion dollars could go a long way helping the right agencies find people overstaying their visas. You can be for better border patrol and be against the wall. It's even possible to not be against the wall in theory, but understand that building it and all the legalities involved with acquiring land in spots is going to be hard and expensive.

Also, not everyone against the wall is for giving foreign aid to anyone. It would be better if you knew someone had come out against the wall also came out in support of foreign aid. Otherwise, yu're talking about a hypothetical creature. Like a unicorn, perhaps.

Where's there's a will there's a way. Obviously the bi-partisan congress who passed the wall bill back in 2006 thought it was feasible. All of a sudden it's not now?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Why do people who oppose the border wall’s $5 billion spending to help this country, yet supports the billions and billions of money sent to Israel and other foreign countries every year?! Cut foreign aid and spend the money instead in this country to protect ourselves! Why help foreign countries support and so-called protect themselves but not us?!
I don't know if I support aid to other countries or see it as a necessary evil.

The USA isn't generous just for the sake of being generous -- there usually is a self-serving reason to provide aid to other countries for stability, medical attention, etc.

So I struggle with foreign aid but get why we have to do it.

The border wall is expensive at a time when our deficit is out of control. I've been on a fix the visa system since 9/11 and this e-verify thing bugs me. We need to make it real and accurate.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,393,629 times
I pay no mind to what the armed robbers do with my money after I'm relieved of my wallet.

I'm just upset I was the victim of a violent crime.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:42 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,603,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's even possible to not be against the wall in theory, but understand that building it and all the legalities involved with acquiring land in spot...

Also, not everyone against the wall is for giving foreign aid to anyone. It would be better if you knew someone had come out against the wall also came out in support of foreign aid.

This will put your mind at ease:

Dems want $54B plus another $12B on top of that for foreign aid in the new budget. They don't want a border barrier.

Once funding was provided, DHS began construction of a border wall quickly, in some locations in as little as nine months from funding to building – a process that commonly takes two years or more. By the end of FY 2019, DHS expects to have construction completed or underway for more than 120 miles in the areas it’s most needed by the U.S. Border Patrol. The pace of construction has picked up as initial limiting factors like land acquisition and funding have been addressed.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Old 01-02-2019, 07:44 PM

12,976 posts, read 9,677,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Once again, there is no plan for a wall on the entire border. I don't know how many times this has to be repeated. It's for the 700 miles on the most porous areas of the border that was already passed by congress back in 2006. WTH is comprehensive border security?

Doesn't matter how long, Trump said Mexico was going to pay for it. And he never specify during all those rallies about how many miles the wall would be. But he did chant, who is going to pay for the wall, and you guys replied Mexico.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

One wonders why Trump couldn't build this in two years with total control of government?

Did you know that the highway to Alaska was 100X as hard to build and was done in 7 months? 1400 miles through the most difficult terrain on the planet.

Now we are 75 years later and have better technology and capabilities...and he couldn't put up hundreds of miles of steel slats in two years???

If now - the man is not to trusted with anything. He is obviously incapable of even a simple task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies