Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 11:18 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It IS racism to attribute differences in human behaviour to genetic differences.

Your words. "How do you explain such a belief other than by way of some sort of genetic difference?"

The obvious "other way", for the umpteenth time, is the system and culture one lives under (as also somewhat recognized in similar fashion by other than me as well).
Okay, again. From the top. See my next comment...

Old 01-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
American success didn't "just happen" nor was it given. Success is the product of the system and culture and people. Everyone wants the same success but they don't want to put in the effort to get it. They despise the American way but want the kind of life the American way can offer. It's those who stayed behind that should be recognised.

Some of the countries I've been in the last 5 years, 3-5x for some of them, are Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize. Will be in Costa Rica in a few weeks.
Since you insist, again, let's have another look...

Mine was a question. How can you explain your belief as stated above without suggesting some sort of genetic difference that differentiates the success people made possible in America vs the people you are referring to, in this case people trying to get to America. It is very hard (if not impossible) to reconcile your comment about people not wanting to make an effort (choice) with the other socio-economic explanations that determine the differences between what we enjoy as Americans and what others in these poorer countries are struggling to overcome.

You even go on to explain here that "success is the product of the system and culture and people," again as if the success depends on which people are in the system and culture.

Fact is, the success we enjoy as Americans is pretty much a story or history about people coming here from other countries since the beginning, from all over the world. Our wealth and success is NOT a result of Americans willing to put in the effort while people in other countries are not willing, as your comment plainly argues.

There is a name for those sorts of notions that explain America's success in those sorts of terms, but you don't understand that. Not surprising to me, but there's the last explanation I'll attempt to get you to see what is plain to see far as I'm concerned.

PS: I know you have posted many a comment since that better puts the focus on other factors, so maybe that's evidence of some appreciation about what I'm pointing at here in your comment above, but your comment above is the one that caused me to point at your supremacist notion when I did, going way back to this specific comment as clearly written in black and white.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:23 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
End your unconstitutional war on drugs and welfare give aways and most if not all this border nonsense goes away. The owners/ranchers can then provide for their own securty, same as anyone else.
Just stopping the war on drugs would do it. Most of the issues people are fleeing are caused by our drug use and silly laws. Hell our own government was helping import drugs for years. Just decriminalizing it would likely callapse the illegal market like legalization of Marijuana has done to Mexican weed smuggling.

The War on Drugs policy is always a reminder that neither Democrats or Republicans believe in solutions or outcomes, just good sound bites and donations. Policy has cost trillions in cost and unquantifiable damage to entire cities throughout the USA.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Note to burdell; you too are beneficiary of "cheap illegal labor"

Explain. And IF you're implying I may have bought products made with cheap labor, you're going to have to prove their employers pass their savings on to their customers. If you fail, we'll know the only ones profiting are the employers themselves.

And then tell us just HOW the war on drugs as well as welfare are unconstitutional as you allege.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Needless to say, it is not racism to attempt to explain how a comment appears to be racist. If anyone is accused of "playing the race card" every time racist tendencies are called out, then how do you point at racism in all its forms without "playing the race card?" That accusation is ridiculous on it's face!

It may very well be what was written or said or done was not MEANT to be racist despite all appearances. That might make for a more intelligent exchange.

Suggesting that someone is racist, however, because they point out racism (even if somehow mistaken) is again, simply ridiculous. MLK would have had plenty of fun with someone like you.

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-25-2019 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Few, if any, in America really understand the economic realities facing those in the third world. Borders, historically, are usually defined for the purpose of determining legal jurisdiction, but, beyond that, they almost always fail to stem the tide of modern day economic migrants, willing and able to work hard in order to have a better life.

Trump is trying hard to align the Mexican migration as an infestation of criminal hoards streaming to America to rape and pillage the hapless American populace, at the same time he acknowledges the fact of poverty as the prime motivator of most illegal crossings. So, fear of job loss is tossed into the mix in order to incite even more hatred of those suffering the effects of a soul crushing poverty, while living in a country ran by violent drug cartels and corrupt government officials.

As long as Mexico and other southern nations have the well deserved reputation as nations of corruption and violence we will see more and more people on our border hoping to come to a better place. Will the wall help? Sure, but it too will fail to stop the tide, no structural deterrent will ever be daunting enough to prevent the migration of the human spirit, and no political strategy will ever prevent the natural response of human migration from worse to better living situations..

The United States has militarily intervened in many countries, upsetting the political norms and favoring "regime change" as a sufficient cause for their intervention. Mexico, at some point could find itself on that long list of offenders, changing the Mexican political dynamic should be looked at as a long term solution to the inept political buffoonery we've witnessed with regard to both the Dems and the R's lack of any real border strategy. As long as we tolerate the current Mexican government we can't really be telling each other that the Syrians are truly needing our help, or that we need to go into Iran, or any where on earth when we have what we have, on our southern border..

Old 01-25-2019, 11:39 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Trump, congressional leaders reach a deal to fund government for three weeks without border wall money - https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/trum...ite-house.html

Old 01-25-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Glad you have the ability to amuse yourself.

So, you are cool with your leftist buddies doing it, but not me....got it.

Stray man argument is walls do not work when those on the border say it does....
I'd like to think I have the ability to amuse, myself and even other people too, but my efforts are not always successful...

Not sure how many times you can keep making this argument that "two wrongs make a right" or that I someone is being hypocritical when pointing out what YOU are doing is wrong, but it seems you just love to repeat that defense.

Have kids? When you catch Johnny throwing a rock at Cindy and tell him that's wrong. Do you let Johnny off the hook when he tells you Billy did it too?

You will please have to point out how I am "cool" with anything on the one hand but not on the other hand. We've already gone around this circle when you asked me how I might be critical of Obama, and again, what difference does it make?!? That you forever point elsewhere about the same wrong-doing does not excuse your wrong-doing or anyone else's. DOES IT?

It's "straw man" argument, but "stray man" argument is also good! You stray like a deaf man in the dark. No way I'm going to go round that circle of what "those on the border say" when you can't seem to hear anything else!

Don't you ever wonder why this debate goes on, decades in the making now, with all manner of argument about how best to secure our border and/or improve our immigration policy in general, now too including our longest government shutdown in history when all we need to do is listen to our border agents?

Same with the "walls work" argument. Talk about dumbing something down, but how dumb can we get?

Queue the partisan nonsense, but not ALL Americans are that dumb...

Old 01-25-2019, 11:45 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
New

Quote:
Public disapproval of President Trump has swelled five points to 58 percent over three months as a majority of Americans continue to hold him and congressional Republicans most responsible for the partial federal government shutdown, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

In addition, more than 1 in 5 Americans say they have been personally inconvenienced by the record-long shutdown, which reached the five-week mark Friday amid reports of turmoil at airports, slowdowns at the Internal Revenue Service and growing public pain as 800,000 federal workers, and many government contractors, go without pay.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.84be8edb1d24

Old 01-25-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

I'll post this again...DAMN them border patrol agents for telling the truth....
Tap tap on the shoulder there Mr. chucksnee, if I may. You do know the link and statement you keep posting is straight from the Trump administration. Right? All that there was not there until Trump took office. Why don't you save yourself the trouble and simply ask everyone to believe everything Trump says?

Not like the DHS link is offering a fair and balanced presentation of all issues and alternatives that SHOULD be considered in order to better secure our borders and improve our immigration policies. Not even any mention. Why is that one might wonder...

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-25-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies