Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 12:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
He'll pull it off somehow. He's many times more intelligent than your average gringo, young or otherwise.
It'll be very entertaining to watch him try.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Umm. First of all it's my thread.

Secondly, you're the one who started bloviating about the Berlin Wall.

And everything you've said regarding executing drug users was incoherent nonsense.
Then you have a reading comprehension problem. I did not first bring up the Berlin Wall in this thread. the fact that your thread spiraled away from your intent is indicative on your ability to control it. Don't blame me.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:03 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Then you have a reading comprehension problem. I did not first bring up the Berlin Wall in this thread. the fact that your thread spiraled away from your intent is indicative on your ability to control it. Don't blame me.
Besides FirebirdCamaro's post, which he did not expound upon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again, as someone who has family in Eastern Europe still, I just get visions of the Berlin Wall and Inner German border whenever the stupid wall is brought up
Yours was the first to mention the Berlin Wall:.

Quote:
A wall by itself is not immoral but of course the Berlin Wall was immoral. Republicans and Democrats called that one immoral.

And as far as I can tell you weren't responding to him.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again, as someone who has family in Eastern Europe still, I just get visions of the Berlin Wall and Inner German border whenever the stupid wall is brought up

Do you realize that the Berlin Wall was built to keep people in East Berlin? It wasn't built to keep West Berliners from sneaking into the East

So...your comparison is irrelevant and invalid.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:30 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Isn't it amazing that the star and hero of Republicans, Ronald Reagan, helped take the Berlin Wall down and now Republicans are praising the wall's effectiveness. Cant make this stuff up.
We certainly live in interesting times.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Old 01-05-2019, 01:46 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
For me, one major disadvantage to building a wall is that it gives a false sense of accomplishment and effectiveness for the problem at hand. The vast majority of illegals over stay visas..... and they can because they can get jobs to support themselves (and send $$$ home). As long as we focus on the "wall vs no-wall" discussion, we are ignoring the elephant in the room.... companies/businesses that provide jobs that fuel the demand for illegals.

Remove/Reduce the demand by holding companies/businesses/individuals accountable for hiring illegals (that includes Trump Inc.) and I'll support the wall too.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:35 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
No wall will stop people all by itself. They all have to be patrolled heavily to work.

If a wall is built, it will suck up all the Border Patrol funds to build it and there won't be any left for the Border Patrol eventually. Sooner or later, a Congress will cut the patrol funds, as personnel is always the first thing to be cut in a tight budget year.

The U.S. Army could take over the patrol, but what happens when they are called overseas or to some other larger national crisis after a few years?

It just makes a lot more sense to put the money, and there will be a lot of it that will need to be spent, on increased patrol with much more modern technology and far less obsolete concrete. More money needs to be spent at all the ports of entry and other access points in both facilities and personnel.

But the most important thing that must be done is revising and updating our immigration laws and policies. They have been all kicked down the road for over 30 years by one Congress and Administration after another. If there were better policies to separate the legal immigrants from the illegals that could be processed much faster and with fewer complications, the pressures on the border would be vastly decreased.

And a big decrease would make any wall unnecessary. There's no good outcome in applying 12th century technology to 21st century problems. The wall is Trump's Folly, and will go down as such in history even if it is never built. If it is built, it will plunge the national deficit into the black abyss, and we may never be able to recover.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Yes, just one. Did you work and pay into the system before or after you were granted citizenship as an infant?

Spare us the rah-rah ancestor blood, sweat, and tears schtick. Where you’re born is a function of luck, not merit.

And as far as I’m concerned, sharing the country with illegal immigrants is no worse than having to share it with folks like you.
What BS! OMG! You are embarrassing yourself with such inanity.

Every country in the world has immigration laws and expects those who want to immigrate to do so in accordance with the laws of the land.

Illegal aliens have no business being here. What part of "illegal" don't you understand?

You think that we should have open borders and allow the entire third world to come here---is that what you yammering about? You think that all illegals should be granted not only amnesty but citizenship? If so, that's a slap in the face to those who came here legally. Illegal immigration makes legal immigrants very angry---and rightly so.

How many illegal aliens have you moved into your own home and are supporting with your own money? I'm guessing that the answer is "zero". You talk the talk but won't walk the walk.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really? But covering the social costs of illegal aliens to the tune of over $100 billion a year isn't a waste of the taxpayer's money?

It was congress that passed the wall bill back in 2006 did you tell them back then that it was a waste of money? Both the Border Patrol and Homeland Security have stated that the good walls are very effective and they need them but you know better than them? I have posted several links proving it also.
Oldglory---Have you noticed that every time you bring up the wall bill from 2006, all you get in response from the pro-open border/invasion cheerleader crowd is crickets chirping? Your question makes them squirm because they know darn well that they didn't raise a stink about the wall back then. In other words, they've outed themselves as being hypocrites.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
There are some areas need wall - some drones - others manpower - no DHS ever said a full wall was effective - unless you listening to the cbp union guy that loves to be on tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Our laws are ancient - and need to be fixed - E verify should be put in place before any wall for one year and then talk.
First of all, the wall will only cover 700 miles of the border. There will be no need for a wall in other areas as they are impossible to navigate.

You also commented about how ranchers will have to cede land for the wall. Many ranchers will gladly do so as they have been terrorized by illegals. Illegals vandalize their property and the trash they leave behind often gets ingested by cattle which kills them. These ranchers will tell you that they constantly are armed as they go about their daily work.

Yes, E-verify needs to be the law of the land. Not only that, once it is the law of the land, everybody in the workforce needs to be run through it to weed out the 8 million no-match SSNs.

That said, I'm really surprised that you are unaware that not all illegals sneaking across the southern border are coming to work. Many are coming here to do harm so E-verify isn't going to stop such people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies