Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:48 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I flew from Anchorage to Kodiak on one of those local commuter planes and there was no security check whatsoever in that wing of the airport. It's only for the international and lower 48 flight it seems.
Guess they aren't concerned about anyone hijacking the flight to Naknek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:49 AM

2,362 posts, read 779,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
DRC Travel Advisoty due to civil unrest.

US deploys troops to Gabon to protect US ( private sector) interests due to unrest in DRC.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...055926860.html
Yeah, I'm not sure why you're posting the travel advisory? As if it's relevant to airport security.

My line of work often see's me flying into troubled areas. I just got back from Yemen a couple days back. But they have airport security, at least some rudimentary form of it. X-ray, metal detectors - I just don't believe they even check it. I leave my laptop, iPad, all kinds of electrical adapters etc inside my bag and they never even made a peep. But security nonetheless. In Mbandaka there is not even consistent electricity let alone a x-ray machine, etc. Security there is someone randomly selects some guy, unzips their bag and then zips it back right away.

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I suppose many of these call ins are doing so because they have children to take care of. Maybe our federal workers have to work without pay, but day care providers don't. What are they supposed to do?
What does anyone else do? Spend the money they have saved? Look for a more reliable line of income? Are laid off TSA workers any different than laid off electricians, carpenters, truck drivers...

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I flew from Anchorage to Kodiak on one of those local commuter planes and there was no security check whatsoever in that wing of the airport. It's only for the international and lower 48 flight it seems.
Agreed. The commuter planes are the exact opposite. I fly on Bering Air and Ravn in remote Alaska and they don't search the luggage or the passengers. Shrug.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,277,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
El Al screening involves serious folks with guns who look you in the eye and ask not only if you packed your own bags, but where you packed them. Where have you traveled? Where did you stay? Purpose of your travels? What other Middle Easter countries have you traveled to? Are you carrying a bomb? ...

This was several years ago and as I recall, did not involve taking my shoes off.

I felt safe getting on that plane.
They also use people with degrees in criminology, rather than people off the streets with no better job prospects like we do here.

Part of the reason why flying to Israel is so expensive.....but well worth it.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What does anyone else do? Spend the money they have saved? Look for a more reliable line of income? Are laid off TSA workers any different than laid off electricians, carpenters, truck drivers...
Yes.

Laid off electricians, carpenters, truck drivers, etc. get unemployment benefits.

Also, they often earn a higher wage when they are working and save up for the down times.

Plus, once they are laid off, they are no longer required to come in and work. They are free to pursue other employment opportunities.

So, quite a bit different actually.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why in the world would terrorists go through the effort of a desert crossing rather than flying in on a visa?

Every 9/11 terrorist was here on a visa or an expired visa.

Most were from Saudi Arabia.

Not a single one was from Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, ...
Indeed. Every single one of them legally entered the US. Most did so on Saudi passports. House of Saud said they had no knowledge. US said “ OK. Glad to hear you will continue to quote and settle global oil trade in USD. How many more war toys will you buy from us? How much can we expect you to invest in US real estate? How many visas will you need? “

Old 01-05-2019, 07:56 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times
Doesn’t matter to me at all. I fly myself wherever I want.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:57 AM

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Doesn’t matter to me at all. I fly myself wherever I want.
It shouldn't matter to anyone. Security should be private and outside the meddlings of politicians

Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It shouldn't matter to anyone. Security should be private and outside the meddlings of politicians
The only security I worry about is the lock on my hanger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies