Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:43 PM

38,006 posts, read 22,193,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Lesson learned. Politicians on both sides lie to get elected. Stop listening to what they tell us and vote for someone who doesnt lie...if you can find anyone like that.

Or at least stick to your core principles, no matter how the lying politicians we elected flip and flop on their promises and oaths of office.

We need Congress and the president to not only demand, but to follow thru on the laws they pass to enforce our immigration laws and stop illegal crossing by foreign nationals. We need to do all we can to stop illegal immigration from occurring across our southern border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,891,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
How long do you think it takes to look for another job, apply for it, go thru the interview process & then maybe or maybe not get hired? A comparable pay job, that is. I'm not talking a $7.25/hr job. Also, how much do you think unemployment pays? Do you think it's comparable to what your regular paycheck was?
That is the hardest part. For professional level jobs it would almost be impossible for federal government workers to get one while they are shutdown. First of all, the process takes months between post date, application receipt, candidate interviews (may be multiple rounds). Then for reference checks, a current job reference is almost always required for professional jobs. Federal government employees are SOL because their supervisors/co-workers would be furloughed. Bottom line, getting a professional job can takes months. To make matters worse, many federal government employees are not competitive for private/academic jobs, of no fault of their own. It’s just that the federal government has a lot of administrative tasks and they use systems and processes that are not applicable outside of the government. If you are in a learned profession (CPA, healthcare provider, etc), you could find something without problem because your skill set is transferable. For some heavily administrative government positions (even high level, GS 14/15) , your skill set/experience is not very marketable in private sector/academics. That is why many people stay career feds. The longer you are in, the less exit options you have outside of the federal government.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,777,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Since I support disbanding the TSA, I would see this as a good thing.
Well, I wouldn't mind too much either. But since one of Trump's worries is about terrorists sneaking in, and all of them have come in through airports, you have to wonder what his thinking is here. (Well, no you don't - no thinking is occurring or has occurred.)

Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, I wouldn't mind too much either. But since one of Trump's worries is about terrorists sneaking in, and all of them have come in through airports, you have to wonder what his thinking is here. (Well, no you don't - no thinking is occurring or has occurred.)
Considering that the TSA has never stopped one terrorist, and has a failure rate of over 70% on detecting fake test threats, I'm not sure they are worth the $7+B we spend on them.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:55 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Wouldn't it be a better idea to focus on solutions to the problem that BOTH SIDES agree on? The problem is illegal immigration, and building a wall is not going to solve it.

I am baffled as to why you'd want to solve the problem of Trump's lack of accomplishing his campaign promises, when (instead of funding the wall), we could be solving illegal immigration, or making strides in that direction.

Your comment doesn't make sense, and we should not let one man-child's tantrum hold our entire nation hostage to something that will not solve any problems other than his own.
I too am baffled why taxpayers have to make a $5 billion down payment on Trump's campaign promise to a bunch of morons chanting hateful nonsense.

Do we have to lock up Clinton as well?

Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
How is it people don't have savings to live off of? I'm pretty far left and even I don't feel for anyone who lives above their means, period.

Dems aren't interested in negotiations how is this a Trump shutdown still? They promised last time they would discuss it this time around and now they aren't even doing that. They haven't even gone after DACA citizenship which is just stupid; give us DACA and the idiot in the White House can have his fence IMO.
Trump has offered NOTHING in exchange for his wall/fence/whatever (what exactly IS he proposing) other than shutting down the government.

No Daca, nothing.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:57 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,198,716 times
Dems are too afraid of their rabid base to negotiate anything. These old politicians sounded exactly like Trump on border security, now it’s not in their interest politically to do anything. Perfect example of why Washington is broken

Old 01-09-2019, 01:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,393,629 times
Hooray!

Like Christmas morning all over again.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM

32,818 posts, read 19,511,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Trump has offered NOTHING in exchange for his wall/fence/whatever (what exactly IS he proposing) other than shutting down the government.

No Daca, nothing.
there should not be a daca...no more amnesties

Old 01-09-2019, 02:02 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,336,038 times
Default Trump walked out of shutdown meeting with Democratic lawmakers -Schumer

I blame Vladimir Putin!

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Jan 9 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump walked out of a meeting with Democratic lawmakers after they told him they would not fund his proposed wall along the U.S. southern border, Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said on Wednesday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...mer/ar-BBS2bGP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies