Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:40 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I heard Rep. Kevin McCarthy say the Repubs in Congress introduced a bill to get Fed workers paid for that first paycheck they missed. All Repubs voted for it as well as ten Dems. All the other Dems voted it down. That tells you Dems only give lip service to compassion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 08:13 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I heard Rep. Kevin McCarthy say the Repubs in Congress introduced a bill to get Fed workers paid for that first paycheck they missed. All Repubs voted for it as well as ten Dems. All the other Dems voted it down. That tells you Dems only give lip service to compassion

And you heard this on what news media??????

Old 01-23-2019, 08:17 PM

25,454 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And just think, if the Border Patrol all people call in sick because they are sick of not being paid - and thus leave the border gates wide open, you could see that many illegal aliens cross the border in the 1st day.

And you'll be able to thank the Great Pumpkin for that.

Ken
There was a border security conference that was cancelled because of the shutdown.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 PM

30,177 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And just think, if the Border Patrol all people call in sick because they are sick of not being paid - and thus leave the border gates wide open, you could see that many illegal aliens cross the border in the 1st day.

And you'll be able to thank the Great Pumpkin for that.

Ken

The border patrol patrols the area near the border not people crossing the border. Customs handles the people crossing at the port of entry. Different jobs.

The port of entry locations are not wide open and will not be. Sorry to burst your bubble.

A main street near my house has border patrol pickups passing by all day going down near the hotspots. They are still working as usual. There are times when there are more border patrol vehicles than civilian ones stopped at the light and I am 55 miles from the border.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:32 PM

30,177 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
And you heard this on what news media??????

Here it is:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...g-the-shutdown

Both sides are pathetic on this but the DEMS really sank to a new low with this vote.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The border patrol patrols the area near the border not people crossing the border. Customs handles the people crossing at the port of entry. Different jobs.

The port of entry locations are not wide open and will not be. Sorry to burst your bubble.

A main street near my house has border patrol pickups passing by all day going down near the hotspots. They are still working as usual. There are times when there are more border patrol vehicles than civilian ones stopped at the light and I am 55 miles from the border.
Yes I know, those folks are still working. I pass through BP checkpoints on a regular basis. Like Border Patrol, Customs and Immigration folks are not being paid EITHER. NONE of those folks are - not the BP, not Customs and Immigration, not the U.S. Coast Guard..
How long do your think they'll CONTINUE to work?
At some point they will have had enough and simply call in sick or walk away, leaving the gates unmanned and wide open.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 01-23-2019 at 10:01 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Here it is:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...g-the-shutdown

Both sides are pathetic on this but the DEMS really sank to a new low with this vote.
I agree.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01/...uring-shutdown

Sen. Graham: 'Nancy Pelosi Has Become a Nightmare for the Democratic Party'

Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Default Trump Bows to Pelosi.

Apparently the Emperor is no match for Speaker of the House.

"Trump says he won't give State of the Union during shutdown after being disinvited by Pelosi

President Donald Trump made a concession to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi late Thursday, agreeing to not give a State of the Union address until after the government shutdown standoff has ended.

"As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over," Trump said in a tweet Thursday.
"I am not looking for an ... alternative venue for the SOTU Address because there is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber. I look forward to giving a 'great' State of the Union Address in the near future..."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/polit...ard/index.html

Ken

Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01/...uring-shutdown

Sen. Graham: 'Nancy Pelosi Has Become a Nightmare for the Democratic Party'
Trump bootlicker Graham can stuff it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies