Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM

25,450 posts, read 9,891,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That gives him the opening to either use Emergency Act or let it shut down again.
I don't think he'll do that. If he thought it would work, he would have done it this time, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,409,177 times
Quote:
That gives him the opening to either use Emergency Act or let it shut down again.
He won't try to shut it down again - and the Emergency Act attempt will fail.

Ken

Old 01-25-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think he'll do that. If he thought it would work, he would have done it this time, IMO.
Yup. It's a REAL long shot for him - almost certain to fail, that's why he didn't already try it.

Ken

Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 PM

34,224 posts, read 17,314,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
He won't try to shut it down again - and the Emergency Act attempt will fail.

Ken
I disagree. 3 weeks puts onus on Congress to compromise, and meet in the middle.

If they fail, he simply watches it close, but now, its the choice of Congress to shut down.

PS: Emergency Act could be used. Even if challenged later, the steel wall would be cast deep into the ground by time it was heard at a court.

34,289 posts, read 19,458,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The democrat talking point was that they are willing to discuss border security only after government has been “reopened”, let’s see if they were telling the truth(they weren’t).

They are willing to talk. Its just that Trump REALLY wont like what they say. It will be full of facts and reality instead of convenient sound bites.

11,904 posts, read 5,622,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
If you could please point out in my post where exactly I "feigned concern" that would be great, thanks. I am actually not concerned about anything, as I stated I think conservatives should completely step back from border security, let liberals own it, it will go great for us in 2020. I'm glad Pres Trump decided to be the grown up here and allow people to get back to work vs throwing an endless temper tantrum as the liberals were planning. If he owns the shutdown as you say, then I guess he also gets to own opening the govt back up and liberals can own wanting to keep it shuttered forever as Nancy Pelosi stated.
I don't think his decision had anything to do with being an adult. I think the two votes in the Senate yesterday, even though both failed, showed writing on the wall, and the message was that one by one, Republicans were starting to peel away as the shutdown wore on. I doubt they are eager for a repeat performance, and I suspect some kind of deal with be reached, with a veto-proof majority this time.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's my gut reaction.

I'm not going to brag that he caved, but I do think he has painted himself into a corner, from which it will be very difficult to extricate himself without a serious loss of face.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
As disappointing as it is not to get any type of border security, at least Pres Trump can say he took the high road in this as it was obvious the liberals didn't care about the furloughed workers or their families and were going to make them suffer as long as it took to avoid giving Pres Trump a win. I think these families will be grateful to Pres Trump and will hopefully vote accordingly. Since the liberals have made it clear that they are 100% against any type of border security I say we just completely hand the issue over to them, Conservatives should completely step away from any type of border security since liberals have made it clear they are not willing to work with conservatives on this issue let them own the mess they will undoubtedly create with open borders...2020 here we come
He had this same opportunity weeks before the shutdown to make a deal, but decided not to. Dems and Reps passed a bill that Trump was going to sign but didn't. Now here we are, weeks later, after people have suffered with no pay. So no, Trump did NOT take any high roads.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The democrat talking point was that they are willing to discuss border security only after government has been “reopened”, let’s see if they were telling the truth(they weren’t).
The government's been reopened about and hour now and you're already claiming that the Dems aren't going to discuss border security? You have to give them a minute, LOL.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I disagree. 3 weeks puts onus on Congress to compromise, and meet in the middle.

If they fail, he simply watches it close, but now, its the choice of Congress to shut down.

Good luck with that theory, have you learned NOTHING?

PS: Emergency Act could be used. Even if challenged later, the steel wall would be cast deep into the ground by time it was heard at a court.
Nope, an injunction would come WITHIN HOURS - just as injunctions have come for Trump's controversial Executive Orders. Again, have you learned NOTHING?

Ken

Old 01-25-2019, 05:56 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,758,108 times
It’s only funny because he said a few times that he would not cave. If he had just agreed to reopen the government without all of the huffing and puffing (and sniffing) first, there’d be no real issue. It’s all the grandstanding and “I won’t cave!” tweets that make it so delicious to point out that he did, in fact, cave.

But yes, caving was a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies