Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 AM

23,642 posts, read 17,325,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ed-by-slavery/

How would reparations work? If you pay the present generation to atone for the sins of the past, what about upcoming generations? Will they get a piece of the action as well? Is this a forever thing?
So the government taxes blacks to death to pay blacks..

the rest of us weren't even driving the get away car.

Tell it to hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 11:48 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,041,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The only ones they should be paying is teenage girls to not get pregnant. Every month they stay childless pay them a thousand bucks until they turn 21. If they use if for college or vocational school make it $1500.
So pay them not to be stupid?

Granted I’m a guy, I’ve never even had a scare. It’s called being responsible.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:23 AM

29,533 posts, read 22,801,559 times
I think it is safe to say that it's not a matter of if, but when.

Several cities in America have already apologized for slavery and given some form of reparation/compensation for the past.

After racial unrest across US, Congress takes another look at reparations

Quote:
After the Civil War, formerly enslaved families were promised by Union leadership 40 acres and a mule. The offer was never fulfilled, yet a reminder to the centuries-old promise that has remained in Congress for decades is H.R. 40, the “Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act.”

The bill has been introduced in every legislative session since 1989, and nearly two years since the last hearing on H.R. 40, the bill and the idea of reparations are receiving a new spotlight in Washington on Wednesday during a House Judiciary subcommittee hearing.

H.R. 40's lead sponsor, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, said the subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties hearing “will not be a hearing of anger and anguish, it will be a factual hearing, the witnesses come with facts, United Nations will be there and indicate that reparations is an international concept of healing, repairing and restoring."

The bill seeks to establish a commission to study "and consider a national apology and proposal for reparations for the institution of slavery, its subsequent de jure and de facto racial and economic discrimination against African Americans, and the impact of these forces on living African Americans, to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies, and for other purposes," according to H.R. 40's text.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:24 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,116,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think it is safe to say that it's not a matter of if, but when.

Several cities in America have already apologized for slavery and given some form of reparation/compensation for the past.

After racial unrest across US, Congress takes another look at reparations
Of course it is. They have been softening us for decades now. "Death by a thousand cuts".

I am middle-aged now. I wonder if I won't see it in my lifetime.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:36 PM

10,205 posts, read 1,045,220 times
What about Affirmative Action, scholarships for people of color, tax incentives for Black owned businesses,
free lunch programs, free summer camp, rent controlled apartments, low income housing, free healthcare.
I have no problem with the above for people and children who are deserving.
"Reparations" will be a disaster/total waste of time and money.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:04 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,011,894 times
If a Black person currently living in the US having immigrated from Brazil can prove their ancestors were slaves, will we US citizens be responsible for paying that Brazilian-American Reparations?

Because:

* the Captors/Kidnappers that actually abducted African Slaves were other African Tribes, NOT White Americans, who then sold their captives/prisoners of war to Slave Traders (British, Portuguese and French comprising the vast majority)

* the Ships that carried the Slaves from Africa to America were European (NOT American): British, French, Spanish, and Portuguese;

* only about 10% of all African slaves were shipped directly to the United States - only about 388,000 out of 10.7 Million Africans. That’s right: a tiny percentage. The vast majority, over 10.3 Million African slaves were shipped to South America and The Caribbean;

* the United States banned slave trade in 1808, whereas Brazil was the last country to ban the Atlantic slave trade in 1831.

Are we current-day White Americans, most like myself whose white ancestors had absolutely NOTHING to do with slavery, going to be expected to pay for Brazil's slave atrocities?

Old 02-18-2021, 02:24 PM

45 posts, read 14,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
What about Affirmative Action, scholarships for people of color, tax incentives for Black owned businesses,
free lunch programs, free summer camp, rent controlled apartments, low income housing, free healthcare.
I have no problem with the above for people and children who are deserving.
"Reparations" will be a disaster/total waste of time and money.
None of those things are exclusive to black people for a specific justice claim. Affirmative Action benefits white women, LGBT, Latinos, Asians, etc. Free lunch, low income housing, free healthcare and other entitlement programs benefit poor white people in Appalachia just as much as impoverished black people in inner cities.

"Reparations will be a disaster/total waste of time and money" - what are you basing that on, your opinion?

America has paid reparations to Native Americans and people of Japan descent who were imprisoned in internment camps during WWII, so it's not like it would be without precedent.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:27 PM

45 posts, read 14,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
If a Black person currently living in the US having immigrated from Brazil can prove their ancestors were slaves, will we US citizens be responsible for paying that Brazilian-American Reparations?

Because:

* the Captors/Kidnappers that actually abducted African Slaves were other African Tribes, NOT White Americans, who then sold their captives/prisoners of war to Slave Traders (British, Portuguese and French comprising the vast majority)

* the Ships that carried the Slaves from Africa to America were European (NOT American): British, French, Spanish, and Portuguese;

* only about 10% of all African slaves were shipped directly to the United States - only about 388,000 out of 10.7 Million Africans. That’s right: a tiny percentage. The vast majority, over 10.3 Million African slaves were shipped to South America and The Caribbean;

* the United States banned slave trade in 1808, whereas Brazil was the last country to ban the Atlantic slave trade in 1831.

Are we current-day White Americans, most like myself whose white ancestors had absolutely NOTHING to do with slavery, going to be expected to pay for Brazil's slave atrocities?
Easy problem to solve - if you're black and genealogists can trace your lineage IN AMERICA to the 1870 Census, then you get paid reparations, if you're black and your family came after that, you DON'T get reparations. You guys are turning this into rocket science, when it's NOT.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,253,374 times
I’m sure the slaves that are still living are very thankful for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies