Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In the same way so many on the right did, saying Obama didn't do it, the SEALS did?

The administration regardless of which one it is gets credit for continuing these operations. The real credit is to those that have developed the intelligence to carry them out and to those carrying them out when they are on the ground like the Bin Laden raid.

What people like me took exception to was people giving credit to Obama as if he alone was responsible. The key piece of intelligence that lead to Bin Laden was actually developed under the Bush admin. I will give Obama credit for taking a very big risk. The percentages he was given that is was Bin Laden were not that high. This was a very risky operation and had it ended in catastrophe his Presidency may have been doomed.

It's amazing that even this has turned into partisan bickering. After this story broke I was watching Fox and they had the former Captain of the Cole who was onboard when this happened. The one comment he made was something along the lines of "....even after 19 years we are still hunting you and will kill you when we find you." Regardless of whether you are R or D this is not something to give credit to one party of another. The only thing we need to know is the administration or party in power actively seeking to destroy these people, as long as the answer is yes that is good enough for me.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-07-2019 at 02:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 02:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Great job by this administration in taking out the bad guys.

https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/US/...8561546803416/
One more dirtbag removed. Thanks Trump.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The administration regardless of which one it is gets credit for continuing these operations. The real credit is to those that have developed the intelligence to carry them out and to those carrying them out when they are on the ground like the Bin Laden raid.

What people like me took exception to was people giving credit to Obama as if he alone was responsible. The key piece of intelligence that lead to Bin Laden was actually developed under the Bush admin. I will give Obama credit for taking a very big risk. The percentages he was given that is was Bin Laden were not that high. This was a very risky operation and had it ended in catastrophe his Presidency may have been doomed.

It's amazing that even this has turned into partisan bickering. After this story broke I was watching Fox and they had the former Captain of the Cole who was onboard when this happened. The one comment he made was something along the lines of "....even after 19 years we are still hunting you and will kill you when we find you." Regardless of whether you are R or D this is not something to give credit to one party of another. The only thing we need to know is the administration or party in power actively seeking to destroy these people, as long as the answer is yes that is good enough for me.
Correct. Making that call to go in and get Bin Laden was the one thing he got right in 8 years.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
1% is high. No one could.

Heck, I bet if you asked Trump before the story came out he wouldn't have known.

My take is that, after Bin Laden and a certain few it simply is not worthwhile. TRILLIONS of dollars to kill individuals who are then replaced by the millions more waiting in line....is not going to fix anything.

You cannot kill your way to winning hearts and minds in that fashion. Stalin tried it, Hitler tried it and so have many others. The US took a different route after WWII. We forgave our enemies and together created the biggest boom the world has ever seen.
The biggest boom ever seen ended the war with Japan.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:12 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,305 times
It seems to placate Americans you just need a steady trickle of news that so-so bad guy (they never heard of before and have no way to verify he was killed or is even guilty) was killed in a drone strike.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:15 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
It seems to placate Americans you just need a steady trickle of news that so-so bad guy (they never heard of before and have no way to verify he was killed or is even guilty) was killed in a drone strike.
just never mention the civilian casualties

Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Here's a long list of their leaders. I hope we kill them all.

https://www.longwarjournal.org/al-qaeda-leaders
You aren't even going to give them a chance to confess their sins and give their hearts to Jesus, huh?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Of course Obama had to roll out the red carpet and give a speech on his kill while Trump modestly just tweeted the news.
Yeah b/c Bin Laden wasn't just the most wanted person alive. At one point I remember people doubting OBL even existed. He was a ghost and during the Obama administration he was getting flack for chasing after a ghost. The constant tirade of congress (R) controlled by the way saying the administration was wasting money person no one has seen in person in years. Then comes recording from the boggy man. Then silence again, wash, rinse, repeat. When the announce was made I didn't see anyone booing that he was killed. It's the quite the opposite.

The size of the crowds cheering after that announcement was monumental to say the least.

How soon do we seem to forget the past!

Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Yeah b/c Bin Laden wasn't just the most wanted person alive. At one point I remember people doubting OBL even existed. He was a ghost and during the Obama administration he was getting flack for chasing after a ghost. The constant tirade of congress (R) controlled by the way saying the administration was wasting money person no one has seen in person in years. Then comes recording from the boggy man. Then silence again, wash, rinse, repeat. When the announce was made I didn't see anyone booing that he was killed. It's the quite the opposite.

The size of the crowds cheering after that announcement was monumental to say the least.

How soon do we seem to forget the past!
Do you think UBL was killed by the USA, and if you think that where's the proof he's killed? No one has seen his dead body. All you have is literally the word of the administration. Do you trust them that much?

Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Do you think UBL was killed by the USA, and if you think that where's the proof he's killed? No one has seen his dead body. All you have is literally the word of the administration. Do you trust them that much?
I don't live in the world of conspiracy. Your statement can be said about literally anything that comes from the Gov't. Maybe you should direct that statement at our military service men/women they have far more knowledge on the matter than I do. I'm just stating what has been reported and the reaction of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies