Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:52 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I've couponed and refunded forever. Even when we were on food stamps - I used my coupons and didn't waste a cent. I haven't bought the paper in months. With a price of $4 - I can't even find $4 worth of coupons in it. TG for Aldi's, Price Rite and Sav A Lot

I do have to say 35 yrs ago when we applied for Food Stamps when my husband was laid off for 3 months - the woman was brutal. Very indignant and nasty - I was embarrassed enough as it was to need gov't assistance - I didn't need her attitude.
There must be a class they have to take for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:42 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Download Ibotta. My first time using it I paid $23. at the register and got an Ibotta credit for $22. It can be redeemed for cash back or one of dozens of available gift cards. It can be stacked with coupons as well as buy one, get one free deals (my first trip).

No need to buy the paper. I register with a few of my favorite brands like Organic Valley and they have regular emails with about $6.00 of coupons, buy when on sale and stack with Ibotta, 10% extra off sale for Prime + 6% back from Amex.
Thank you for the advice - unfortunately I'm tech challenged and only have a TracFone. I'm lucky I know how to answer that let alone download an app.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:49 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Thank you for the advice - unfortunately I'm tech challenged and only have a TracFone. I'm lucky I know how to answer that let alone download an app.
I think you can do it with just your computer. The only thing is you take a picture of your receipt and it reads the items you picked that have offers.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
Default The last food stamp payments just went out

The FREE ride is over...

Final food stamps payment for now

Food stamps will be paid through February, but in order to get funds, states will have to pay February payments early, by or before January 20, which could create confusion for recipients who receive an abnormally large payment that is intended to last an extra month.
  • By the numbers
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefit recipients in 2018: 40.3 million
  • Total benefits paid through SNAP in 2018: 60.6 billion
  • Monthly benefits paid (as of September 2018): About $4.8 billion
  • Average monthly benefit per person: $125.25
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...tdown-effects/

Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
People who usually get re-certified in February for March probably will just be cut off and have to reapply all over again. But if it stays shut down they won't get to ever reapply for benefits.

Around here you are only allowed to go to one food bank a month (and you only get a few days worth of food) and you have to show proof that you're eligible for food stamps to get serviced. So, unless they change their rules, people who get cut off won't even be able to get assistance at a food bank around here.
I doubt that. There are privately-run food pantries that distribute donated food (or food bought with $ donations). The local schools, stores, places of worship of all denominations, civic organizations and clubs, and heck, even mail carriers, are continuously having food drives to stock local food pantries' shelves.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:30 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
The FREE ride is over...

Final food stamps payment for now

Food stamps will be paid through February, but in order to get funds, states will have to pay February payments early, by or before January 20, which could create confusion for recipients who receive an abnormally large payment that is intended to last an extra month.
  • By the numbers
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefit recipients in 2018: 40.3 million
  • Total benefits paid through SNAP in 2018: 60.6 billion
  • Monthly benefits paid (as of September 2018): About $4.8 billion
  • Average monthly benefit per person: $125.25
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...tdown-effects/
I'm trying to understand why giving people their food budget for two months in the same month is going to cause confusion. You get 200$/month for food. Here is 400$ for january and february.

Did you catch this:
"the federal agency is no longer reimbursing states for storing and distributing the products, which costs $5.3 million a month."
It cost 5.3 million a month to store and distribute food for food banks. Holy cow!

Old 01-21-2019, 01:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I doubt that. There are privately-run food pantries that distribute donated food (or food bought with $ donations). The local schools, stores, places of worship of all denominations, civic organizations and clubs, and heck, even mail carriers, are continuously having food drives to stock local food pantries' shelves.
There are two food banks around here and both require the same things as I described. And yes schools, stores, etc. take donations to stock these two food banks, but the food banks have very strict requirements.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:26 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Great idea. Every society is three meals away from a revolution. Next time maybe they'll burn down the upper class neighborhoods.

Thus the foodstamp program. It benefits the poor and the ag sector at the same time.

One cannot have an impoverished, hungry component of the population, as it leads to civil unrest. I am one who is all for self reliance, but dishing out food is better than manning my windows with AR-15s every evening. With the kids no longer at home, I would have to arm the dog and the cats, and I know for fact they are poor shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies