Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I thought the same thing. Really is some BS IMO as she is from Birmingham and grew up during their "bombing" domestic terrorism period against black people. Too often the whole Israeli/Palestinian thing is brought up to try to disparage someone unnecessarily.

Note, I don't agree with everything that Angela Davis speaks/writes about today but this only serves to portray this organization negatively IMO.
The astounding white conservative arrogance on this topic is truly unsurprising.

They not only think that they reserved the right to persecute black Americans, but they also assert here that they ALONE can choose who our allies should be in our fight for Civil Rights. I guess Angela Davis was supposed to submit a list of potential allies to the American establishment and only pick the allies that they approved of.

Meanwhile, white ethnics were embracing communism left and right in the first half of last century. And for conservatives to talk about certain Civil Rights personalities embracing murderous regimes is absolutely laughable when the United States as a matter of furtive policy (that wasn’t so furtive after all) was to support brutal dictatorships and wreck democratic governments like we did in Iran.

This is why I keep facepalming conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Seems to me that the idea that African-American civil rights being “their business” should apply across the board: Palestinian/Israeli civil rights are their business. Seems if Davis stayed out of them, she wouldn’t be where she is right now: mad about losing an honor.
African Americans reserve the right to pick their own allies in any struggle. We don’t need to run a list by white folks for approval. If she wants to lock arms with the Palestinian people, that’s her right.

Furthermore, Angela Davis has been given so many honors in her lifetime that I doubt she cares about ONE!! The only honor she really gives a damn about is the love, respect and admiration from her people, and she gets more than enough of that. I’d know because one of them. Jews or any other ethnic group can’t take that away no matter what. The only true things in life worth real value are the things that can’t be taken away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Black activist can waste a lot of collateral picking sides in religious wars. Sometimes both sides can be supportive of the black cause.
She made her choice and she’d do it all over again. And I support her right to stand with the Palestinians.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Furthermore, Angela Davis has been given so many honors in her lifetime that I doubt she cares about ONE!!
If that were the case she wouldn't be commenting that she is "stunned" about the decision to various media outlets on the subject. She cares.

Black people, regardless of their struggles, don't get a civil rights pass when they meddle in the affairs of others. Angela Davis and many of her supporters have apparently just discovered this.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
How African Americans decide to fight for Civil Rights is their business. Murderous regimes?
Well then, if you chose to fight for civil rights by supporting dictatorships who oppress civil rights of others, do not be surprised, or "stunned", when it comes around full circle and you become the collaborator with the oppressors. The people that these dictators imprisoned, and that Angela Davis supported imprisonment of, had nothing to do with civil rights situation in the United States.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
If that were the case she wouldn't be commenting that she is "stunned" about the decision to various media outlets on the subject. She cares.

Black people, regardless of their struggles, don't get a civil rights pass when they meddle in the affairs of others. Angela Davis and many of her supporters have apparently just discovered this.
Stunned isn’t anger. I know you want her to be unhappy because you’re angry about the outcome of the Civil Rights movement, but that’s your problem.

We African Americans ally with whomever we want. You’re right...we don’t get a pass because we don’t NEED one. And you’re in no position to grant us a pass anyway. You’d better be asking US for one if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Well then, if you chose to fight for civil rights by supporting dictatorships who oppress civil rights of others, do not be surprised, or "stunned", when it comes around full circle and you become the collaborator with the oppressors. The people that these dictators imprisoned, and that Angela Davis supported imprisonment of, had nothing to do with civil rights situation in the United States.
Again, your country supports dictatorships, and you’re a collaborator with the oppressors in your own country.

You folks can keep your awards...we don’t need ‘em. You can’t hold that over our heads because we already know that any honors that come from outside of the black community are contingent on kissing the asses of people like yourself. And you’re just not that important.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:40 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Stunned isn’t anger. I know you want her to be unhappy because you’re angry about the outcome of the Civil Rights movement, but that’s your problem.

We African Americans ally with whomever we want. You’re right...we don’t get a pass because we don’t NEED one. And you’re in no position to grant us a pass anyway. You’d better be asking US for one if anything.

Again, your country supports dictatorships, and you’re a collaborator with the oppressors in your own country.

You folks can keep your awards...we don’t need ‘em. You can’t hold that over our heads because we already know that any honors that come from outside of the black community are contingent on kissing the asses of people like yourself. And you’re just not that important.
You are definitely triggered. Riled up enough to lose your stuffs and go all Nate X on me.

Get some new material. Your racebaiting shtick is all used up. You’re just clownin’ now.

This proud brown Hawaiian woman laughs at your racial insecurity. Grow a spine, dude.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
The link does not detail exactly what triggered the protests from Jews. I'm guessing that there was some anti-Semitism involved. Being pro-Palestinian does not necessarily entail anti-Semitism, but often the two go hand in hand. If she said something anti-Semitic, then I'd say rescind the award, otherwise no.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
You are definitely triggered. Riled up enough to lose your stuffs and go all Nate X on me.

Get some new material. Your racebaiting shtick is all used up. You’re just clownin’ now.

This proud brown Hawaiian woman laughs at your racial insecurity. Grow a spine, dude.
Oh lord...now you’re a “brown Hawaiian.”

Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:

Yeah, well you’re not in their shoes.

Besides, what system were they supposed to embrace? The one they were living under in the United States? How democratic was THAT for African Americans at the time?
You would think by the 1980's and 90's Davis and others from her era would have rethought Communism. By the 80's it was apparent that most Communist run countries were dictatorships and practiced bad economics.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

On these, as desert detroiter stated - this was a minor faction of black America in the 20th century.
Even though most Black-Americans aren't actual Communist. I still run into too many that have anti-capitalist thinking,especially among the conscious and intellectual crowds. This thinking was probably influenced by some Marxist revolutionaries. Yes we need gov't programs but Black-Americans have become too one dimensional. Too many want the gov't to fix every poor Black area. Gov't programs can only do so much. The rest needs to come from more Black economic activity(more capitalism). This is made more complicated by too many Blacks negative attitude toward capitalism. I'm not advocating anything that you won't find in the various Asian-American communities. Capitalism is common in the Chinatowns and Koreatowns etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies