Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the carbine be banned?
yes. 3 3.37%
yes, but only if it meets assault-weapon specifications. 2 2.25%
no, don't ban it at all. 80 89.89%
other (please explain below). 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Carbine classification means nothing. They are simply a shorter version of a rifle model OR a long gun with a shorter barrel chambered in a handgun caliber. Like your Uzi. A firearm being a carbine means nothing as to its capabilities. Firearms are designed to be used in a specific niche. Rifles for longer ranges, carbines for shorter ranges though some can still be used at both medium and longer ranges within reason, Shotguns and handguns at shorter ranges. Though there are some handgun designs like the TC Contender that can be long range pieces depending on chambering.

Carbines were first developed for use on horseback as cavalry weapons. The Sharps and Springfield and the Spencer could be thrown in there as most recognized examples. Full rifles were just to cumbersome for use on horseback. A firearm being a "carbine" lends it no supernatural powers as some here and the OP seem to believe. Yet they claim that it takes no real knowledge about firearms to form an opinion on gun control and the banning of certain classifications of firearms. Ooook then.

Whatever.

Just for me, I prefer shooting the -10 carbine or the -15 carbine. It's easier for me.

So I don't get, according to the specs as I recall, 800 yards with an -10 but only 4-600 yards. That's plenty good for me.....and a lot farther than most people are able to shoot, anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why are these liberals who are always so hell bent in infringing on their fellow citizen's liberties so full of invective?

Anger and the desire to repress individual rights and liberties seem to go hand in hand. When was the last time you came across a serene, mellow liberal?
Didn't you know that Liberals are all about inclusiveness, tolerance and civility?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:47 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
God you people are gullible. You are so obviously being trolled yet you still are just pant wetting excited to hop in.

My dog hates the ups guy, no reason, just hates whoever is in the truck. The truck has a distinctive exhaust sound so the dog immediately jumps up and starts barking, even when it’s just driving by. She is very satisfied with herself when it continues down the street.

Seems like you guys get that same sense of accomplishment from threads like these.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
God you people are gullible. You are so obviously being trolled yet you still are just pant wetting excited to hop in.

My dog hates the ups guy, no reason, just hates whoever is in the truck. The truck has a distinctive exhaust sound so the dog immediately jumps up and starts barking, even when it’s just driving by. She is very satisfied with herself when it continues down the street.

Seems like you guys get that same sense of accomplishment from threads like these.
Then why are you even responding? It seems as if you're the one who's doing the pant wetting if this bothers you so much. Don't like it? Then don't read it or even bother commenting on threads you don't like. Pretty simple, huh? We still have a 1st Amendment and are free to comment on subjects that matter to us. Now go feed your dog, at least you'll accomplish something.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-16-2019 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Then why are you even responding? It seems as if you're the one who's doing the pant wetting if this bothers you so much. Don't like it? Then don't read it or even bother commenting on threads you don't like. Pretty simple, huh? We still have a 1st Amendment and are free to comment on subjects that matter to us. Now go feed your dog, at least you'll accomplish something.
As you can see by now the OP has baited the hook with another thread. It clogs up the boards and takes away what little productive discussion exists around here.

But by all means please feel free to continue. Doesn’t the hook in your mouth hurt?

Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
As you can see by now the OP has baited the hook with another thread. It clogs up the boards and takes away what little productive discussion exists around here.

But by all means please feel free to continue. Doesn’t the hook in your mouth hurt?
As far as I'm concerned the OP can post as many times as he likes or start as many threads as he likes. Whether I agree or disagree with him or not. It's his right. Just as it is everyone else' right to respond to him.

There are hundreds of topics on this board. Whether it clogs up the boards or not is not up to you to decide. Or are you the final arbiter over who can say what, when, where and how often? Who the hell are you to decide what's productive or not? IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU'RE FREE NOT TO READ ANY OF IT, OR PARTICIPATE IN THE DISCUSSION. Sorry for using all caps and bold type, but that just doesn't seem to sink in? Why don't you just put your money where your mouth is and not post anymore on this particular thread? Or any other topic that you don't approve of. Or does the hook in your mouth hurt? Such HYPOCRISY!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-16-2019 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned the OP can post as many times as he likes or start as many threads as he likes. Whether I agree or disagree with him or not. It's his right. Just as it is everyone else' right to respond to him.

There are hundreds of topics on this board. Whether it clogs up the boards or not is not up to you to decide. Or are you the final arbiter over who can say what, when, where and how often? Who the hell are you to decide what's productive or not? IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT YOU'RE FREE NOT TO READ ANY OF IT, OR PARTICIPATE IN THE DISCUSSION. Sorry for using all caps and bold type, but that just doesn't seem to sink in? Why don't you just put your money where your mouth is and not post anymore on this particular thread? Or any other topic that you don't approve of. Or does the hook in your mouth hurt? Such HYPOCRISY!
You are way more worked up about this than is warranted. Do as you wish, create hundreds of meaningless posts. I really don’t care that much and was just pointing out the obvious.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
You are way more worked up about this than is warranted. Do as you wish, create hundreds of meaningless posts. I really don’t care that much and was just pointing out the obvious.

Good luck.
It's funny that you're doing the very same thing that you're complaining about. You're still doing it. Of course you care, otherwise you wouldn't be still posting? I'm not worked up over anything. I just love pointing out what a hypocrite you really are. Too bad if you don't like it.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Thank you. I didn't want to be the one to say this given the obvious conflict of interest for me. For those who think these are trolls, they are just intended to provoke useful discussion, which is counter to most definitions of 'trolling.' And calling someone a troll can be considered a personal attack, and earn an infraction. Lastly, the solution for those who are upset by postings is to volunteer to become a mod, not to engage in personal attacks.

In another vein, the 40-1 result is VERY disappointing. I'm just glad I live in a state (WA) that is moving towards commonsense gun control. Our new law DOES classify the carbine as an assault weapon.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Thank you. I didn't want to be the one to say this given the obvious conflict of interest for me. For those who think these are trolls, they are just intended to provoke useful discussion, which is counter to most definitions of 'trolling.' And calling someone a troll can be considered a personal attack, and earn an infraction. Lastly, the solution for those who are upset by postings is to volunteer to become a mod, not to engage in personal attacks.

In another vein, the 40-1 result is VERY disappointing. I'm just glad I live in a state (WA) that is moving towards commonsense gun control. Our new law DOES classify the carbine as an assault weapon.

Classifies THE carbine as an "assault weapon?" ALL carbines? That makes no sense Travis. Again, a "carbine" is a shorter barreled version of a rifle. This includes lever actions, bolt actions, pump actions and single shots. Not just semi autos which are not assault weapons anyway.

And also , again, a semi auto is no more capable of mass destruction and mayhem than any other type of firearm. Any firearms capability is limited to the person using it. The gun itself is not capable of anything by itself. And the millions of legal firearms owners out there are not committing crimes of any kind. All the laws in the world don't stop criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies