Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 06:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,699,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think you have a better chance of seeing the second coming of Jesus before Trump caves on the wall.

Bob.
It's not a question of whether he caves...as you know. He already has.....

1. Mexico isn't paying.
2. It's not glass and solar powered.
3. It's not the first thing he is going to do on day one.
4. He didn't arrest or send back on day one EVERY criminal illegal
5. Many vast immigrant states (TX and FL among them) don't do E-Verify.

And even if he gets 3,4,5 or 6 Billion that is no "win" if the issue was about true immigration reform. Heck, just today many 100's walked in UNDER the wall. The vast majority of "illegals" are visa overstays, often from other countries.

In other words he lost a long time ago - just as much as he lost when he said we'd have better and cheaper health care for all.

But real Trump cultists don't care about the reality of the situation. They want a symbol...a digital number put into an account which perhaps will build and finance 1/10th of their dreams over a number of years....and that will not solve any of the problems.

That's not a win. That's a joke.

To add to it, the bad will he will garner from many in the House (and even his own party) will get their pounds of flesh (and Don has plenty to spare) over the next couple of years....and they will certainly keep his infantile actions in mind. In other words, he will not be forgiven.

He who laughs last......if I were Trump and facing all those investigations controlled by the House I'd be hugging Nancy daily and asking what I could do for her.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:50 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They don't have to meet with him.

No means no, and they have the right to say no.

I really truly can't understand why people who back Trump think people need to meet with him/negotiate/compromise when they don't have to. They have the right to say no.

What part of "NO" does he not understand, and Trump's followers not understand?
Well the problem with what you state is that the reverse is equally true. Trump doesn't need to negotiate with anyone unless they agree first to provide funds to build the wall. See how that works? It goes both ways. He has no need to compromise either.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
LOL you think the Military will do that for you????? More than likely the left would be eradicated in an event that would make the Katyn Forest look like a play ground.....
Obviously you don't get the idea here. If it's OK to declare Martial Law over one thing it's OK to do so over another - and most Americans can agree that Voting Rights being messed with constitutes a true National Emergency.

What goes around comes around. Whatever you think Trump can and will do you should expect to praise when Future POTUS's so the same or more (whether the issue is to your liking or not)....

Chaos is not a one-way street.

Since one party and most Americans believe in democracy and the rule of law, I don't think strongman tactics (hey, America is now like the Phillipines!) are going to make the citizenry happy.

But I could be wrong. Maybe Americans don't like our Constitution any more?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 18 days ago)

35,669 posts, read 18,034,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well the problem with what you state is that the reverse is equally true. Trump doesn't need to negotiate with anyone unless they agree first to provide funds to build the wall. See how that works? It goes both ways. He has no need to compromise either.
I do see how that works, and agree.

But since he's claimed this shut down as totally his, I hope the people who are now suffering because they're working and not getting paid fully recognize that, and agree that he was being truthful in claiming this shutdown is totally his decision. And they are HIS hostages. And now somehow it's up to the democrats to capitulate, negotiate and pay ransom for them.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 PM

What if Trump declares something and nothing happens? It's a real possibility. At this point he's the man-child that cried Wolf.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
I clearly remember the last time Trump approved the budget which didn't include a wall. Trump clearly stated it was the last budget he would agree to that he didn't like. The left here and the media in general were laughing at him and saying he was never serious about the wall and he never kept his campaign promises. Guess they were wrong. Why is this even a surprise to anyone?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,847,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Mexico's check finally cleared. Building of the wall will now commence bigly.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 PM

8,582 posts, read 11,008,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"In 1878, Congress passed the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids military involvement in domestic law enforcement without congressional approval."

If Trump can do this - heck, we Yankees can again occupy the South and enforce real Voting rights. Let's do it!
I submit you left out the rest of that bolded sentence on purpose.
The rest of that sentence reads, "except in times of invasion".
And this is exactly what this country is faced with, and another one is already on the way.
When the word "invasion" was put into the constitution, it was not specific as to what constitutes an invasion.
Any President would be within his/her right to think of these illegals forcing their way into the country, as an invasion.

You can't pick and choose what you want when taking clips from the constitution.
It is all there in black and white.
I am not one of those that has to go back and refer to the constitution, I have studied it for many, many years.
Next time, you should take the effort to quote the constitution fully regarding the clause, or article you want to include in your post.
Cherry picking is not the right way to do things.
To those of us who are versed in the constitution, it makes you look like a complete fool,and not to be believed.

Bob.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 12 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,607,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you really believe, as you seem to be suggesting in this post, that martial law is undesirable, why did your opening comment sound so much like you are gloating about the possibility?
Then again BentBow contradicts his own pet philosophical paradigm of "survival of the fittest" and "weak and freaks get culled" when he supported the kowtowing Ted Cruz (Trump egregiously insulted his wife during the campaign, only later to apparently mend fences with him) over Beto O'Rourke who supported "take a knee" style protests in a state where that kind of thing doesn't go down well.

If the militant social darwinists had their way, we'd eventually turn into something close to Ancient Sparta - a hyper-militarist regime with every able bodied male as a soldier trained from age 6, chock full of so-called "manly" traits. Because we all know it's either Sparta or the Chinese flag will fly over Louisville City Hall 10 years from now

Quote:
Congress can discuss a wall anytime. They could have discussed it when Trump was freshly elected and had both houses..and they can discuss it next week, or next year and they can continue to discuss it.

But this isn't about that. You don't see Trump saying "We need a Comprehensive negotiated and complete Immigration Reform bill", do you? Of course not. Like he said about health care "that's hard".

He is incapable of accomplishing anything except destruction...and that is what he is doing.

There are MANY laws on the books about immigration and to quote the gun nuts "we should enforce the existing laws". But then we should make new laws addressing the current questions (birthright citizenship, qualifications, rules for asylum, what to do with existing population, etc.)...

This stuff IS complicated. Trump could get 25 BILLION for his partial wall tomorrow and it won't change a single dynamic of this particular problem.

Is there truly any Trumpie who would deny that? You have to address every part of it and that would likely take a 500+ page real bill.
Then again, NOTHING warms his most fervent base's collective hearts like bustin' heads together and getting immediately visible and dramatic results!Not that they're aware that how you achieve those results is arguably more important than achieving the results, or even fully achieving the desired result at all. Nuance is for wussy-wimps for those people (except when it comes to their own pet matters like gun control, "freedom", and such - in that case they'll beg for all the complexity human creativity can muster up in order to defeat the "liberal-leftie-commie-puppy kicker-satan worshiper-blah blah blahs"

Last edited by Phil75230; 01-18-2019 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM

8,582 posts, read 11,008,682 times
Quote:
It's not a question of whether he caves...as you know. He already has.....

1. Mexico isn't paying.
2. It's not glass and solar powered.
3. It's not the first thing he is going to do on day one.
4. He didn't arrest or send back on day one EVERY criminal illegal
5. Many vast immigrant states (TX and FL among them) don't do E-Verify.

And even if he gets 3,4,5 or 6 Billion that is no "win" if the issue was about true immigration reform. Heck, just today many 100's walked in UNDER the wall. The vast majority of "illegals" are visa overstays, often from other countries.

In other words he lost a long time ago - just as much as he lost when he said we'd have better and cheaper health care for all.

But real Trump cultists don't care about the reality of the situation. They want a symbol...a digital number put into an account which perhaps will build and finance 1/10th of their dreams over a number of years....and that will not solve any of the problems.

That's not a win. That's a joke.

To add to it, the bad will he will garner from many in the House (and even his own party) will get their pounds of flesh (and Don has plenty to spare) over the next couple of years....and they will certainly keep his infantile actions in mind. In other words, he will not be forgiven.

He who laughs last......if I were Trump and facing all those investigations controlled by the House I'd be hugging Nancy daily and asking what I could do for her.
I think this is a far better, and shorter response to your post, than I could give.

"Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They don't have to meet with him.

No means no, and they have the right to say no.

I really truly can't understand why people who back Trump think people need to meet with him/negotiate/compromise when they don't have to. They have the right to say no."

"What part of "NO" does he not understand, and Trump's followers not understand?
Well the problem with what you state is that the reverse is equally true. Trump doesn't need to negotiate with anyone unless they agree first to provide funds to build the wall. See how that works? It goes both ways. He has no need to compromise either."

Sounds good to me.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.