Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You have two types of people in major cities today. The wealthy, and an underclass that serves the wealthy. Middle class has either been eliminated or have gone elsewhere.
Really? I'm middle class and live in a major city. Good to know I don't exist lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
The OP probably couldn't make it in a big city and harbors resentment. Why else would someone constantly post threads on the same topic ad nauseum.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Really? I'm middle class and live in a major city. Good to know I don't exist lol
I know, I don't know where they get this stuff from.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The OP probably couldn't make it in a big city and harbors resentment. Why else would someone constantly post the same kind of threads ad nauseum.
Probably couldn't handle all the diversity.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
The US is “overstored”. The state of brick and mortar retail is fragile as more people continue to prefer to shop online.

B, C and D class malls everywhere are not faring well. Retail sales per square foot have been and will continue to decline.

Metro areas with the most jobs attract the largest populations.

The largest 26 metro areas in the US, by population lean left.

NYC has about 27,000 restaurants. It would take 22.7 years to dine out at every NYC restaurant in NYC.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I have never been to NYC, but in San Francisco and Los Angeles people usually go out in large groups and it's considering weird to go out to eat alone or go to nightlife establishments alone.

People also don't go out to meet others in big cities. In every liberal city, I have ever lived in people go out in groups so it serves very little purpose to pay a 350% profit margin on food and quadruple percentage profit margins for other establishments to be around people in cliques.

If I recall, you live in the Austin metro area ,and as you know, Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the US. It recently raised its Minimum Wage to $15/ hr. It is a very liberal city that continues to attract people who relocate from all over. Many arrive not knowing a soul and yet manage to meet others and engage in social activities. How do they manage this?

Speculation on my part is that they focus on what they have in common with others instead of painting entire populations with a broad brush.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:45 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Quote:
It's not just the $15 of course they pay FICA on top of it, Unemployment Insurance to state and federal governments, workers compensation, employment training taxes in some states, some places have 1 hour sick leave for every 30 hours of work so it's about a day every 6 weeks.

I don't eat out. $2 Coffee is about the extent of it.
Oh the horror of it all! Gee, so in a year a low paid worker can actually accrue about 8 days off paid. We need to get back to the good old days where if they took a day off it was unpaid.

Owners of businesses have had to pay FICA and everything else you mentioned already, so nothing to see there.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
but they do have good welfare handouts

Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
I'm confused. High wages are plaguing cities and this is a bad thing?

Know what else plagues cities?

A wealth of activities for every interest, easy access to travel and airports, easy access to hospitals, a wide choice of physicians, excellent restaurants, tourist dollars, high employment, live music of every variety, any film you want to see, restaurant delivery, everything delivery, energy--lots of energy.

In fact, the rural areas are the new 'urban areas' in terms of negatives.

..“Today, however, a Wall Street Journal analysis shows that by many key measures of socioeconomic well-being, those charts have flipped. In terms of poverty, college attainment, teenage births, divorce, death rates from heart disease and cancer, reliance on federal disability insurance and male labor-force participation, rural counties now rank the worst among the four major U.S. population groupings (the others are big cities, suburbs and medium or small metro areas).”...

https://farmpolicynews.illinois.edu/...ew-inner-city/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rural-a...ity-1495817008

Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Seems like the cities having the most problems have minimum wages going up to $15 plus FICA, State and Local UI, health care costs and other regulations like paid sick leave.

I am in favor paid sick leave but it is another very expensive item for businesses, about an extra 50 cents an hour on top of $15.

The other thing is that inner-city retail businesses can no longer have open restrooms these days and there are massive amounts of people with drug addictions and homeless who are desperate causing disturbances.

Then there is the very high commercial taxes and many real estate investment firms holding out until they get top dollar which only big national chains can pay.

I have never been to NYC, but in San Francisco and Los Angeles people usually go out in large groups and it's considering weird to go out to eat alone or go to nightlife establishments alone.

People also don't go out to meet others in big cities. In every liberal city, I have ever lived in people go out in groups so it serves very little purpose to pay a 350% profit margin on food and quadruple percentage profit margins for other establishments to be around people in cliques.

New York

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-vacancy.html

San Francisco

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...san-francisco/
The key is, they have to be a blue city in a red state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies