Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 01:00 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
He's 15 years old. It was a very nervous smile from a kid who didn't know how to react having an old Indian walk up to him, inches from his face beating some drum and chanting. The kid's probably never even seen a NA in his life, and now one is in his face, beating a drum and chanting. What did you want the kid to do? Run away when he was surrounded by his friends watching, lay down and play dead, maybe start to pray out loud for Jesus to intervene?
The chaperones probably could have done a better job by telling the old man to get out of the kids face and stand up for him, but then all hell would have broken out.
But of course, you're right. The kid deserved to be bait, used for the anti trump movement to the point his life is now threatened because he had a MEGA hat on.
it was a smirk!!!

An adult in charge would quietly move the kids away,told the kid to step away not stay nose to nose,AND NOT WORD HATS THAT CAN SYMBOL A LEADERS THAT IS SO CONTROVERSIAL.

PARENT NEED TO TEACH THEIR CHILDREN HOW TO HANDLE CONFRONTATIONS IN A NON PRO VOK ING MANNER NO MATTER WHO INITIATES THE ISSUE.
NO ONE SHOULD HAVE THEIR LIFE THREATENED

Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Surprised this wasn't posted before. (Mod, if it was please move this to OP- I searched)

This is another example of the FAKE NEWS press. Thank God, the WP wrote a retraction, I didn't see any other references on Google other than blogs picking this up

This makes 2 FAKE NEWS stories on one event.

1st) the staring boy pic calling him everything but a girl. Almost all outlets claimed that these kids were yelling build that wall and other trash.

2) FAKE NEWS said the students surrounded Vietnam Vet Phillips, etc

Now we see this:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/lauret...m-vet-n2539669

The lib press will do anything. No fact checking!
I agree about the need for fact-checking. There is no need for conjecture.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/na...etnam-veteran/

As I understand it, Nathan never claimed to be a deployed Vietnam Veteran. He said he had served during the Vietnam Era but not in Vietnam itself. There was a Navy Seal who was trying to corroborate his service and posted some thoughts. Then that feed was found by the "Indian Times" and analyzed.
So, Nathan never said he served in Vietnam but the news incorrectly stated it as so. This inaccuracy has been used to attack his character.
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...UiwJPURPIlzxg/

Like a lot of teenage Native Americans, Nathan had joined the USMC to escape the poverty and turmoil. US Military service has often been an avenue of escape from the sociological problems on a reservation.
The USMC had the Navajo code talkers in WWII. This link shows the history of many indigenous warriors in service of their country. It includes those KIA while in service.
https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-war-1945.html

As for the Covington HS teens, I thought the threats against them were just unacceptable. As a Native American and devout Catholic, I think it's horrible the school had to be closed for a day due to security concerns. I hope they are able to move on from this.

Trump himself had suggested hope for some type of reconciliation. Nathan himself does not want the teens to be punished. He just suggested cultural sensitivity training which seems reasonable to me. They both claimed to be trying to just defuse the situation.

On my Catholic side, I know a lot of college students (e.g. FOCUS, Newman Center) go to the March-for-Life rally each January in DC. I have been to Mass at the large church near Catholic U. It's unfortunate that such a religious journey had to be disrupted by unforeseen complications. When I was just out of HS I did an internship with the federal government in California. A seasoned cop talked about dealing with protests and the things to expect. He made it very clear it was best just to stay away. One thing that stood out was his assertion that even if you know you're right, it's not going to be like a fair scholarly debate on a serious topic. It can just turn into pandemonium.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:13 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
it was a smirk!!!

An adult in charge would quietly move the kids away,told the kid to step away not stay nose to nose,AND NOT WORD HATS THAT CAN SYMBOL A LEADERS THAT IS SO CONTROVERSIAL.

PARENT NEED TO TEACH THEIR CHILDREN HOW TO HANDLE CONFRONTATIONS IN A NON PRO VOK ING MANNER NO MATTER WHO INITIATES THE ISSUE.
SO WHAT? Try not to be triggered by an expression on a 15 year old's face.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
it was a smirk!!!

Translation: I just know those white kids have to be guilty of something

Old 01-24-2019, 01:34 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I agree about the need for fact-checking. There is no need for conjecture.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/na...etnam-veteran/

As I understand it, Nathan never claimed to be a deployed Vietnam Veteran. He said he had served during the Vietnam Era but not in Vietnam itself. There was a Navy Seal who was trying to corroborate his service and posted some thoughts. Then that feed was found by the "Indian Times" and analyzed.
So, Nathan never said he served in Vietnam but the news incorrectly stated it as so. This inaccuracy has been used to attack his character.
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...UiwJPURPIlzxg/

Like a lot of teenage Native Americans, Nathan had joined the USMC to escape the poverty and turmoil. US Military service has often been an avenue of escape from the sociological problems on a reservation.
The USMC had the Navajo code talkers in WWII. This link shows the history of many indigenous warriors in service of their country. It includes those KIA while in service.
https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-war-1945.html

As for the Covington HS teens, I thought the threats against them were just unacceptable. As a Native American and devout Catholic, I think it's horrible the school had to be closed for a day due to security concerns. I hope they are able to move on from this.

Trump himself had suggested hope for some type of reconciliation. Nathan himself does not want the teens to be punished. He just suggested cultural sensitivity training which seems reasonable to me. They both claimed to be trying to just defuse the situation.

On my Catholic side, I know a lot of college students (e.g. FOCUS, Newman Center) go to the March-for-Life rally each January in DC. I have been to Mass at the large church near Catholic U. It's unfortunate that such a religious journey had to be disrupted by unforeseen complications. When I was just out of HS I did an internship with the federal government in California. A seasoned cop talked about dealing with protests and the things to expect. He made it very clear it was best just to stay away. One thing that stood out was his assertion that even if you know you're right, it's not going to be like a fair scholarly debate on a serious topic. It can just turn into pandemonium.
Can you do a creative apologist post on the black hebrew israelites next? thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:36 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
it was a smirk!!!

Adults should know better than to harass and threaten kids in a provoking manner.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:38 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Apologies if this has already been posted. I didnt check the board for a day and this thread is 119 pages!!!

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-story/581035/

Here is just an absolutely outstanding article. Not only does it nail what actually happened, it shows how the totally broken MSM has done nothing but create more Trump supporters.

This last paragraph just blew my mind because its basically what I have been saying for the past 2 plus years...

"I am prompted to issue my own ethics reminders for The New York Times. Here they are: You were partly responsible for the election of Trump because you are the most influential newspaper in the country, and you are not fair or impartial. Millions of Americans believe you hate them and that you will causally harm them. Two years ago, they fought back against you, and they won. If Trump wins again, you will once again have played a small but important role in that victory."

Anyone who wants to have an opinion on Covington should be forced to read this brilliant piece
Thanks for that very good link.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:40 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
it was a smirk!!!

Whose life was threatened?

Old 01-24-2019, 01:41 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Proof that he lied about being a Vietnam Veteran:

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1087881473225572352

And that he went AWOL 3 times.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Can you do a creative apologist post on the black hebrew israelites next? thanks in advance.
Only whites need sensitivity training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies