Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Trumplings hating on a vet who tried to defuse a tense situation.

Well, he's a minority, after all.

Shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Diffuse what situation? The kids were not doing anything, the group of blacks were the ones yelling racial language and taunts. Why did he not go up to the group of blacks? Why is an adult even approaching kids in such a manner?
no response from the old troll. shocking, indeed.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I volunteer with an organization that supports abused children and combats child abusers. A common trait of abusers is to threaten, bully and intimidate children, and when confronted, to lie and shift the blame to the child, while making themselves (the abuser) out to somehow be victimized.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

As I understand it, Nathan never claimed to be a deployed Vietnam Veteran. He said he had served during the Vietnam Era but not in Vietnam itself. There was a Navy Seal who was trying to corroborate his service and posted some thoughts. Then that feed was found by the "Indian Times" and analyzed.
So, Nathan never said he served in Vietnam but the news incorrectly stated it as so. This inaccuracy has been used to attack his character.
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...UiwJPURPIlzxg/

Like a lot of teenage Native Americans, Nathan had joined the USMC to escape the poverty and turmoil. US Military service has often been an avenue of escape from the sociological problems on a reservation.
The USMC had the Navajo code talkers in WWII. This link shows the history of many indigenous warriors in service of their country. It includes those KIA while in service.
https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-war-1945.html

As for the Covington HS teens, I thought the threats against them were just unacceptable. As a Native American and devout Catholic, I think it's horrible the school had to be closed for a day due to security concerns. I hope they are able to move on from this.

Trump himself had suggested hope for some type of reconciliation. Nathan himself does not want the teens to be punished. He just suggested cultural sensitivity training which seems reasonable to me. They both claimed to be trying to just defuse the situation.

On my Catholic side, I know a lot of college students (e.g. FOCUS, Newman Center) go to the March-for-Life rally each January in DC. I have been to Mass at the large church near Catholic U. It's unfortunate that such a religious journey had to be disrupted by unforeseen complications. When I was just out of HS I did an internship with the federal government in California. A seasoned cop talked about dealing with protests and the things to expect. He made it very clear it was best just to stay away. One thing that stood out was his assertion that even if you know you're right, it's not going to be like a fair scholarly debate on a serious topic. It can just turn into pandemonium.

Actually, Here's the full quote, taken from a video of Phillips posted to the Native Youth Alliance Facebook page (9:45 mark):

"I'm a Vietnam vet, you know," Phillips said. "I served in the Marine Corps from '72 to '76. I got discharged May 5, 1976. I got honorable discharge and one of the boxes in there shows if you were peacetime or... what my box says that I was in theater. I don't talk much about my Vietnam times. I usually say 'I don't recollect. I don't recall,' you know, those years."

He should not have said that he was in theater because he wasn't. In theater means that he was in the combat zone. He has never been deployed.

In all fairness and in all honesty, he did serve during war time, but when he said he was in theatre, I think he purposely misled people.

Plus, his biggest lie is that he said he was a Recon/Ranger - a position does not exist in the military. He served in the reserves, which is nothing wrong, but he should've never pretend he was somebody he was not. This guy is not very bright, but in all fairness, most activists are not.

Quote:

As for the Covington HS teens, I thought the threats against them were just unacceptable. As a Native American and devout Catholic, I think it's horrible the school had to be closed for a day due to security concerns. I hope they are able to move on from this..
well, the kid did nothing wrong. I think his family, his school, deserve some monetary compensation from the media.

Quote:

Nathan himself does not want the teens to be punished. He just suggested cultural sensitivity training which seems reasonable to me. They both claimed to be trying to just defuse the situation.
why does he deserve any type of apology and why do the teens deserve to be punished? Maybe he (the drama king drummer) needs to learn to keep his story straight. He was the ONLY one who started the whole mess. He was never a Recon/Ranger (a position never existed in the military)

Your response is not fair, this is not a "oh, both sides have done something wrong" situation. This is a liar who wanted his 15 minutes of fame and somehow it backfired on his ass.

My brother was a Marine force Recon with the 0321 MOS, my fiance was a MARSOC, and his ex roommate was a Ranger. There is no such a thing as Recon/Ranger.

The drummer has no right to say, "oh, I don't want the teens to be punished" because they don't need any cultural sensitivity lesson. The teenager was well behaved. He, on the other hand, was exposed for stolen valor. What else should you do when an elderly drummer approached you like that? The kid stood there and smiling, that is the best approach.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Good points and I can't argue.

I think busing kids in for political protests is a bit tacky though.
What are you talking about?

Their (Catholic) school and hundreds of others came to DC for the yearly March for Life. It has been going on since 1974.

Catholics are often against Abortion, hence their participation. As the March had been over for at least 2 days and they were sightseeing at the Lincoln Memorial- The Memorial to Abe Lincoln where MLK also Spoke- what does it have to do with anything?

I may not agree with the March for Life, but there is nothing tacky about people exercising their Right to Free Speech.

What is wrong with you?

Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Did she ask him any of these questions?

1) Why did you LIE and claim the students were attacking the black hate group? The very group that was also attacking Native Americans? There are hours of video that prove you lied and that the students did no such thing.

2) Why did you LIE and claim the students approached and surrounded you, when you and your group pushed into the group of dancing kids?

3) Why did you LIE and claim the kids mocked you by starting to dance and chant when you approached? The kids were dancing and chanting long before you came near them and in fact were looking in the opposite direction. The kids appeared glad to see you and apparently thought you came to support them against the racist hate group.

4) Why did you confront, bully and attempt to intimidate a child? Why did you single out that one child-who was simply standing there-not chanting, not dancing, and in fact facing the opposite direction. Was it because of his hat?

5) Why did you thrust a drum in his face and bang it with a heavy stick inches from his face, and push him with it? Why did you get in his face and chant with such naked hostility?

6) Why does your party include "men" that were making racist taunts to the child while you were attempting to intimidate him?

7) Who in your group recorded the video that was given to the press? It was obviously made by someone in close proximity as the camera was positioned over your head/shoulder.

8) Why did you go to the media and LIE about these children? It is inconceivable that you would not anticipate the animosity and threats of violence this would engender against them.

9) Did you or your group create the altered video the media ran that supported the lies you told? If so, who was that video supplied to?

10) Why did you, the very next day, disrupt a religious service? Are you simply bigoted against ALL Christians?

11) Why did you LIE for years, if not decades, and claim to be a Vietnam Vet? Why did you attempt to ride on the valor of those that served and risked their lives, and those that gave their lives, while you stayed in the continental US? Was it simply a money grab? To use the collective guilt of those that treated VN vets badly in the 70s to enrich yourself?

12) In short sir-why are you such an a**hole? (OK, that one is mine, I don't expect the media to ask)
those are excellent. i'd have settled for even the first three.

meanwhile, leftists are still steaming because she supposedly softballed yesterday's interview with Sandmann, even though she was much tougher on him, despite him being the completely innocent party in all this..

Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 AM

I'm still waiting for an interview where Phillips is asked the following questions:

1) Why did you LIE and claim the students were attacking the black hate group? The very group that was also attacking Native Americans? There are hours of video that prove you lied and that the students did no such thing.

2) Why did you LIE and claim the students approached and surrounded you, when you and your group pushed into the group of dancing kids?

3) Why did you LIE and claim the kids mocked you by starting to dance and chant when you approached? The kids were dancing and chanting long before you came near them and in fact were looking in the opposite direction. The kids appeared glad to see you and apparently thought you came to support them against the racist hate group.

4) Why did you confront, bully and attempt to intimidate a child? Why did you single out that one child-who was simply standing there-not chanting, not dancing, and in fact facing the opposite direction. Was it because of his hat?

5) Why did you thrust a drum in his face and bang it with a heavy stick inches from his face, and push him with it? Why did you get in his face and chant with such naked hostility?

6) Why does your party include "men" that were making racist taunts to the child while you were attempting to intimidate him?

7) Who in your group recorded the video that was given to the press? It was obviously made by someone in close proximity as the camera was positioned over your head/shoulder.

8) Why did you go to the media and LIE about these children? It is inconceivable that you would not anticipate the animosity and threats of violence this would engender against them.

9) Did you or your group create the altered video the media ran that supported the lies you told? If so, who was that video supplied to?

10) Why did you, the very next day, disrupt a religious service? Are you simply bigoted against ALL Christians?

11) Why did you LIE for years, if not decades, and claim to be a Vietnam Vet? Why did you attempt to ride on the valor of those that served and risked their lives, and those that gave their lives, while you stayed in the continental US? Was it simply a money grab? To use the collective guilt of those that treated VN vets badly in the 70s to enrich yourself?

12) In short sir-why are you such an a**hole? (OK, that one is mine, I don't expect the media to ask)

Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Look no further than the Trump obsession in this thread- a thread not at all about Trump - as a reminder of the mental illness rampant among people who have ceased their ability to focus on or talk about anything but Trump. They’ve literally enslaved themselves.

The Covington kids are white, they are Christian, they are pro-life, and they wore MAGA hats. These traits alone are enough for Trump haters to connect this incident to Trump and make it about him. Because that’s what unstable people do.

Joy Behar made this insanity very clear the other day when she admitted on live television that these boys had been wrongly judged, but then excused it because ”we all just want Trump out of office so bad”.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Yea, mumbling from 20 feet away...so, why not walk up to the group of adult blacks that were yelling the racial and foul language at the kids? Why did Phillips, an adult, not confront the adults in the black group who were the ones actually making such remarks, but approached kids who were doing nothing other than standing there? Why not even approach the adults that were with the kids?

It was not like the kids were blocking the street or something, they were part of a legal protest, gathering, that occurs about the same time every damn year.
Let's see "Should I approach a bunch of Angry Anti White, Anti Gay, Adult, black Israelites or some high schoolers". Of course he would approach the kids!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Yea, mumbling from 20 feet away...so, why not walk up to the group of adult blacks that were yelling the racial and foul language at the kids? Why did Phillips, an adult, not confront the adults in the black group who were the ones actually making such remarks, but approached kids who were doing nothing other than standing there? Why not even approach the adults that were with the kids?

It was not like the kids were blocking the street or something, they were part of a legal protest, gathering, that occurs about the same time every damn year.
I think it's simple-he shares a lot in common with them. HIS group of followers is a racist hate group. While Phillips is bullying the child and beating a drum in his face, his "partner" is making racist taunts at Nick Sandmann.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 AM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Bottom line, the media got it wrong. In their zeal to go after a easily targeted group like affluent, white Catholic kids wearing MAGA hats, they did exactly zero fact checking and did not for even a second apply or adhere to any context.

Phillips may not outright lie about serving in the military, but both he and the media fumble around him being a substandard, rear echelon schlep because they want to portray any antagonist visibly tilting at the Trump windmill to appear heroic and beyond reproach.

They got Phillips wrong, the Convington kids wrong, the situation wrong and everything else about the story wrong. Some outlets are admitting it and dropping the whole thing. They all need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies