Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 11:01 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Fellow Bernie supporter here.

It's looking to me right now like lots of people who condemned the kid have seen that he didn't do anything terrible, but are too embarrassed to admit it, and as a result, they're looking for other reasons to justify their actions. I didn't really pay a lot of attention to all of this mess when it first came out, although my first impulse was to side with the Native American drummer, because the boy did appear to be very smug and smirky. Even so, I thought too much was being made of it, which is the main reason I didn't pay much attention. After all, a smirk is not harassment. A smirk is not violence. It's incredible to me how this thing has mushroomed, and the fact that people are threatening that boy, his family, and his school is horrifying.

Is it really so difficult to say, "Look, I misjudged this situation"?

I'm not about to go all MAGA over this, but damn...own your mistakes, people. If everyone on both sides did this, the divisions that are destroying this country might actually begin to heal.
your last remark is exactly why this is so horrendous. It has become the platform of the left its my way or the highway...………...even if it destroys someones life...……..

Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
So, a normal kid that did absolutely nothing wrong is refusing to apologize to a stolen valor ex-military refrigerator repair man that went AWOL 4 times, and who's now a political provocateur that obnoxiously beat a drum in his face?

"but but but, that smirk," come on, you cannot be this pathetic!

Good for him. He stayed calm regardless of an older man getting in his face. These kids shouldn't be held at a higher rate of accountability than the adults who either verbally attacked them or invaded their personal space. People who are still mad at this kid are prioritizing biases over reasonable thinking.

Kid's good manner needs to be praised. Plus, Just like every other ethnic group, Native Americans have good and bad characters. I don't see how anyone can give this guy the benefit of the doubt while he's doing everything he can to destroy the future of these children.
Did the kid know any of this about the NV when he was just standing there 'smiling'? Of course not.

Ive seen that same smirk/smile many times before.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:03 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It is one of several things the article touches on.
right. i posted a link to the full article, it has many good points. i just take exception with that particular one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I do think there is a large portion of the democratic party that believes that whites deserve every bad thing that comes our way these days - a "get back" mentality.

We need to "step aside" because we've "had power too long" horsemanure hatred that they parrot.
i agree. that truly is how they seem to see it. innocence is really secondary to the need that some white person gets punished.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
They were on the steps of the damn Lincoln Memorial-bordering the Mall. Precisely a place ANY American, scratch that, any person, should be able to visit, enjoy and take in the history and meaning of this great nation. Not a place to be subjected to threats, bullying and racist insults by groups such as Nathan Phillips' and a-holes like the Black Hebrew Israelites. Sadly these boys got a look at the face of evil, bigotry and racism in this nation.
ironic is it not. I had the pleasure to visit the Lincoln memorial once. It was a very solemn retrospective few moments. Thankfully I was not exposed to some idiotic groups like the ones present at this controversy.

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I rest my case.

You can find many ugly threads about the Parkland survivors right here on CD.

As such, I find this quite the hypocritical and hysterical thread.

I'm out.
TY.

As the truth of This situation emerges, you trapped a few people into the whataboutism game to distract from the indefensible treatment of the students, especially Sandmann.

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Did the kid know any of this about the NV when he was just standing there 'smiling'? Of course not.

Watching a lot of 16 years old boys, eh?

Old 01-24-2019, 11:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Many outlets and my friends who are starting to show their true colors, instead of backtracking, are now flooding my pages with Covington Highschool kids dressed in black at some basketball game. They claim they were making fun of the black people as they were dressed in black face, and others claim it was a theme where they were dressed like Venom. So, my question is, any of the Black players from that game come forward to clear things up? Is there video of this incident and not just some photo taken out of context?
yea, thats par for the course, if you look at old pictures of groups of young white guys standing around a black guy at a lunch counter...when they are grilled about their intentions, it was common for them to say "we were doing nothing wrong" ( I bet the black guy would say otherwise though).

Intimidation can be tricky to recognize in pictures and videos, It can be mis-identified as smiling, other innocent behavior.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:08 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
yea, thats par for the course, if you look at old pictures of groups of young white guys standing around a black guy at a lunch counter...when they are grilled about their intentions, it was common for them to say "we were doing nothing wrong" ( I bet the black guy would say otherwise though).

Intimidation can be tricky to recognize in pictures and videos, It can be mis-identified as smiling, other innocent behavior.
Maybe you could repeat this same exact post a few more times. rstevens. You haven't articulated yourself well enough the first several times you posted this same exact thing.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:

well, everybody would have the exact same smirk/smile when somebody approached them with a drum like that.

This is just a 15 year old kid. If somebody approached me like that, I would probably behaved poorly. Have to say, the kid handled the situation fairly well.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think the "Vietnam vet" needs to apologize to the kids. Kids + school + family deserve some monetary compensation from the media.

By the way, he In the same video, at around the 23:45 mark, states, "I got a Section 8 home because I'm a veteran, wartime veteran like that. Honorable, in theater, so I have Section 8 home."

He was not "in theater".

According to this 2008 “Indian Country Today” article covering a sacred pipe ceremony Phillips held annually at Arlington National Ceremony, Phillips made a more direct claim about serving in Vietnam:

“Phillips also described coming back to the U.S. as a veteran of the Vietnam era. ‘People called me a baby killer and a hippie girl spit on me.'”

Returning to the United States from where? Was he overseas before enlisting? Or is he talking about coming back to El Toro from a trip to Baja California and using vague language to insinuate, but not blatantly claim, that he served in Vietnam?

This guy at least misled people with his military service.

The biggest lie is that he claimed he was a recon/ranger. People need to immediately call him out and say, "No, dude, that position never existed." You are either a Recon or a Ranger, you cannot be Recon/ranger. Like I said earlier, most activists are not that bright.

He should come to a local va hospital, if he tried to make the same or similar claim, the vets there would tear him apart. Oh brother!

He has some nerve to say he doesn't need an apology, he just suggested cultural sensitivity lessons for the kids. LOL
I have said here before...…….If he has any monetary gain from claiming to be a veteran when he is not, he is subject to fine and imprisonment. I hope someone follows up on this. This stolen valor crap gets my blood boiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies