Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM

850 posts, read 796,676 times

Advertisements

If you study chinese history the Great Wall did not work, but it will look pretty if you have 1000 years to build it.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:15 PM

29,490 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Violent crime has fallen in most of the country. It wasn't because of a short stretch of a wall.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n-all-time-low

Looks like we are at a stalemate, although I'll take the word of the people that actually patrol our borders over anyone else.

And is crime non existent now along the border ? What changed between 2006 and now ? Zero crime ? Is that why they no longer support the wall ? I don't think so

Take a look a the list of people that voted yea for a wall...very interesting, certainly is a lot of D's on that list. Schumer, Obama, Feinstein, Stabenow,....but now it's all bad and immoral right ?

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/109-2006/s262

Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
In 2013, all Senate Democrats and most House Democrats backed comprehensive immigration reform legislation, the so-called Gang of Eight bill. It included $46 billion for border security and around $8 billion to repair or reinforce barriers along the 700 miles of the border as required under the Secure Fence Act.

Schumer also briefly offered to deliver the Democratic votes to fully fund the border wall at $25 billion in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
My day job is located in a terrible neighborhood, shooting and killings are routine around here. We have a 7’ tall wall with barb wire around the top. We have zero break ins outside of careless employees leaving gates open.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
WE end up paying to educate their kids. WE who have paid into the system. I've seen too many cases of schools not being able to afford to hire teachers because they had to hire special Spanish language teachers. People coming from south of the border do not have any skills either. To immigrate LEGALLY you need money and skills. There are reasons why we can't afford to accept many illegals.
If they had no skills, business would not be so eager for them to come here.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Looks like we are at a stalemate, although I'll take the word of the people that actually patrol our borders over anyone else.
Bankers will tell you they need less regulations.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
You talk like it cannot be done. If the democrats stopped maintaining this despicable status quo of murder and exploitation, we could engineer a wall not a single person could breach.

But, business interests and votes are more important, I guess.

And it would be just as egregious an exercise as the wall you chose to compare it to. AND lastly, it would not stop illegal immigration.

Simpletons have made all the same stupid arguments by conflating a wall to the stopping of illegal aliens.

People suggesting walls work because it slows them down are making the most absurd argument of all; a bright light will slow them down and that's a heck of a lot cheaper than a stupid and ineffective wall.

You could indeed engineer a wall that no person could breach....problem being that would not stop illegal entry by those determined to get here. What about that do you not understand or even attempt to consider?

The means exists to slow or stop border incursions simply by enacting E-Verify with a dedicated database. That would also catch those who've already entered. Will your wall pick up it's heels and go searching for illegals?

It's a given, proven fact, illegals enter through a variety of other means than "walking" across that border Those number in far greater numbers than the successful crossers of the Berlin Wall. It's also a proven fact that escapers from east Berlin used other methods of crossing than risking jumping that wall.

The weather, terrain, predators can also slow down crossers but no one's stupidly counting on them either.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:41 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I was watching that very video on Fox and scratching my head. I couldn't understand how they could show a video like that and advocate for a wall at the same time. Either they're expecting their audience to be morons or they're idiots? Oh but Trump's wall will be 30 feet tall. Okay but maybe just maybe the border jumpers will use the 16 foot section to scale over instead? Nobody who supports the wall will dare talk about how long it would take to build one and the eminent domain lawsuits that could take years to resolve. That story was ridiculous. At least lie about the crisis like Trump did to his base. Don't assume that all of the audience are morons. They're not.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:45 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
These "walls" don't work, that's why we don't build them around everything anymore.
In my area most people have walls or fences around their property. Most of them are Democrats

Old 01-25-2019, 02:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
I dunno. How many crossed the Berlin wall? Not too many. Probably less overall than those who successfully cross our border in a week. And these are resourceful Germans.

End the human tragedy of murder at the Mexican border, put the coyotes out of business, end the flow of people here who have the live in the shadows and be treated like 2nd class citizens -> BUILD THE WALL

I don't understand how democrats can live with themselves, advocating for the status quo, with rape and murder of poor desperate people at the border by these viscious human traffickers, then for those who make it here, they are treated like sh*t, not even making a fair wage. Build the wall, stop the madness, and provide for a seniscal system to come here, because we need these immigrants, just legally so they can come here safely and enjoy the same protections that you and I take for granted.

So sick that democrats are willing to continue to allow these poor people to suffer in the interests of political gains and supporting big business who thrive off illegal labor keeping wages down.
The Berlin wall only worked because there was a literal army of guys with machine guns constantly watching and actively trying to shoot anyone who tried to get over it. Not sure murdering desperate people trying to get past the wall is a particularly great strategy for the USA.

If you truly want to fix illegal immigration, you have to tackle the titanic problems of corruption, inequality and the purge the filth of the entrenched elites in Latin America. People will always keep trying to leave their hell-hole countries and come here for as long as their homes are hell-holes and our home seems like a better option despite the risks. It doesn't matter how tall your wall is, people will still find a way across/over/under/around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies