Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,578,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Polar Vortex last week, here in NYC yesterday temps were in the 50's and poured rain. This is weather more like late March or early April, yet the calendar says 7 February.

Haven't bought a new winter coat in years now. Have gotten through past several NYC winters with mostly just hoodies and down or fleece vests. In fact a fleece vest has become the part of the "uniform" for NYC guys. Hardly see anyone with a coat....

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-f...usiness-style/
Yep, 80 degrees here today. Global warming is real but notice how silent deniers are when ever the weather turns very warm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 12:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 993,156 times
Send your 80 degrees my way!

I still have about 2 inches of global warming in my yard from a storm that came through on monday, if anybody wants to come shovel it for me you can have it...

Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,472,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is unfortunately the argument being presented as the solution by so many. It is NOT a scientific argument. It is a political one.

It's why the divide is so large. It's why I argue the argument should be one of cleaning up our messes. Few will argue against that as most have taken steps in that direction.

It's the political arguments that separate people and no, those arguments are not scientific ones.
If we could get the big dark money out of politics, issues like climate change would cease to be the political footballs they have recently become and we could get down to the business of tackling our challenges.

Climate science was not political twenty five years ago, except possibly for some Creationists who have a hard time grappling with the notion of a world changing from the way God made it into some other condition.

Thanks to the Koch brothers and their allies in the fossil fuel industries we definitely are stuck in a political quagmire, and as a people we are wracked with indecision and unable to act.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
If we could get the big dark money out of politics, issues like climate change would cease to be the political footballs they have recently become and we could get down to the business of tackling our challenges.

Climate science was not political twenty five years ago, except possibly for some Creationists who have a hard time grappling with the notion of a world changing from the way God made it into some other condition.

Thanks to the Koch brothers and their allies in the fossil fuel industries we definitely are stuck in a political quagmire, and as a people we are wracked with indecision and unable to act.
It isn't the Koch Brothers making the argument that taxing Exxon is the solution to the problem.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,269,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Are you not the one who thinks that the carbon in your body was synthetically produced by the Fischer-Tropsch process??.
Work on your reading comprehension and stop putting words in my mouth that I NEVER stated. Here I will post it AGAIN for you.

A Fischer–Tropsch-type process has also been suggested to have produced a few of the building blocks of DNA and RNA within asteroids. Similarly, the hypothetical abiogenic petroleum formation requires some naturally occurring FT-like processes.

The thermal reaction of CO + H2 + NH3 on Fischer-Tropsch catalysts generates intermediates that lead to amino acids and other organic compounds that have been found in meteorites.

Delivery of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur to the silicate Earth by a giant impact.

Origin of Life’s Building Blocks in Carbon- and Nitrogen-Rich Surface Hydrothermal Vents

No Hawkeye the Carbon found in the Carbon base life on earth did not come from CO2 as you ignorantly claimed.

You must enjoy displaying your science illiteracy.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:55 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,694,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadora View Post
work on your reading comprehension and stop putting words in my mouth that i never stated. Here i will post it again for you.

A fischer–tropsch-type process has also been suggested to have produced a few of the building blocks of dna and rna within asteroids. Similarly, the hypothetical abiogenic petroleum formation requires some naturally occurring ft-like processes.

The thermal reaction of co + h2 + nh3 on fischer-tropsch catalysts generates intermediates that lead to amino acids and other organic compounds that have been found in meteorites.

delivery of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur to the silicate earth by a giant impact.

origin of life’s building blocks in carbon- and nitrogen-rich surface hydrothermal vents

no hawkeye the carbon found in the carbon base life on earth did not come from co2 as you ignorantly claimed.

You must enjoy displaying your science illiteracy.

so again- tell us where all the carbon atoms from the carbon containing compounds in your body come from.

Are you contending that you are from a meteorite and not co2 from a plant? Okay-did you hatch from a meterorite like "star man"?

So in your mind, all of your carbon has never been co2 and came from a meterorite- is that correct?

I just want to nail you down with your answer. Berfore you were a tar baby or gollum- now a meteor man. So your answer is meteor, right?

BEEEEEEP! Incorrect. I can't stand it anymore, as much fun as this has been. You are simply too ignorant to carry on a conversation with, as you lack any knowledge of chemistry, biochem or physics- embarrassingly so. My advice to you is to never engage in a conversation concerning any of the above and reveal your ignorance- anyone who knows the basics will laugh at you. Don't speak and let them know you don't know anything, otherwise you will get into the "dihydrogen monoxide" or tarbaby traps. People who know science will just laugh and then not believe anything else you say.

http://www.scienceclarified.com/Ca-Ch/Carbon-Cycle.html

Read up- understand carbon is conserved on the planet and recycled. Indeed- the proteins, lipids, and phospholipids, and all the carbon compounds in your body at some point came from nasty old CO2. Plants and bacteria are the great "recyclers" on the planet and the carbon in you may have been part of a dinosaur, a snail, or ................ a conservative! All recycled through the carbon cycle- courtesy of CO2 and plants.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 02-07-2019 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 04:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,269,957 times
Quote:
so again- tell us where all the carbon atoms from the carbon containing compounds in your body come from.
Quote:
CO2 is not a "dirty emission"- it is a building block of life.
Look how far you've moved the goal posts.

CO2 is not a building block of life.

Of the 92 natural elements, 25 are essential for life. Of these, there are six main elements that are the fundamental building blocks of life.

They are, in order of least to most common:
  • sulfur
  • phosphorous
  • oxygen
  • nitrogen
  • carbon
  • hydrogen

CO2 is a double covalent bond molecule; O=C=O. Molecules are not elements.

Now back to the building blocks of life. The basis of life is carbon. Carbon's importance comes mainly from the enormous variety of structures that it can form due to its unusual four valence electrons. Most important of these structures is the carbon chain, which forms the "backbone" of fatty acids and carbohydrates, among other organic molecules.

Do you know what a carbon chain means? It does not mean this; O=C=O.

Do you now understand what the building blocks of life are?

Last edited by Matadora; 02-07-2019 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 04:33 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,071,002 times
Quote:

Are you contending that you are from a meteorite and not co2 from a plant? Okay-did you hatch from a meterorite like "star man"?

So in your mind, all of your carbon has never been co2 and came from a meterorite- is that correct?

I just want to nail you down with your answer. Berfore you were a tar baby or gollum- now a meteor man. So your answer is meteor, right?

BEEEEEEP! Incorrect. I can't stand it anymore, as much fun as this has been. You are simply too ignorant to carry on a conversation with, as you lack any knowledge of chemistry, biochem or physics- embarrassingly so. My advice to you is to never engage in a conversation concerning any of the above and reveal your ignorance- anyone who knows the basics will laugh at you. Don't speak and let them know you don't know anything, otherwise you will get into the "dihydrogen monoxide" or tarbaby traps. People who know science will just laugh and then not believe anything else you say.

Carbon Cycle - humans, body, used, water, process, Earth, life, plants

Read up- understand carbon is conserved on the planet and recycled. Indeed- the proteins, lipids, and phospholipids, and all the carbon compounds in your body at some point came from nasty old CO2. Plants and bacteria are the great "recyclers" on the planet and the carbon in you may have been part of a dinosaur, a snail, or ................ a conservative! All recycled through the carbon cycle- courtesy of CO2 and plants.
While I don’t have an advanced knowledge of chemistry or biology, I do know a thing or two about physics (especially general relativity) and I can tell you that all the carbon on the planet, be it that in Co2, plants, animals, rocks, humans, whatever, was created and forged in stars that went supernova billions of years ago. The ejected material coalesced and went on to form our solar system and everything in it.

I also know that the carbon cycle nominally is a process that takes place gradually over many tens of thousands to millions of years depending on a few key natural factors such as Earth’s orbit around the sun, solar output, and volcanic activity, etc. The process of burning fossil fuels greatly speeds that process up and takes carbon previously locked in fossil fuels and transfers it to the atmosphere. Your own link even calls it potentially disasterous.

Quote:
Luckily, more than half of the carbon dioxide emitted by the burning of fossil fuels is absorbed by the oceans, by plants, and by soils. Regardless, scientists feel fossil fuel consumption could be an example of a human activity that affects and possibly alters the natural processes (photosynthesis, respiration, decomposition) that nature had previously kept in balance. Many scientists believe that carbon dioxide is a "greenhouse gas." This means that it traps heat and prevents it from escaping from Earth. As a result, this trapped gas leads to a global temperature rise, a natural phenomenon known as the greenhouse effect, which can have disastrous effects on Earth's environment.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:39 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,636,855 times
Where have you been hiding? For your information it’s officially ‘climate change”. Quit trying to buy the Republicans line to ignore climate change. It’s here. NOW

Old 02-07-2019, 04:45 PM

16,760 posts, read 8,228,532 times
I have been walking around in shorts the last couple of days. Records being broken here in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies