Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 02:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The first solution is to acknowledge the problem. Refusing to face the facts is our biggest problem at this moment.

Without that we are not doing anything. Let's admit that this is a non-partisan problem, a hole in a boat is everyone's problem. It doesn't matter if it is on the right side of the boat or the left side, or if some people refuse to believe it, a hole in the boat will sink all without discrimination.

Then I think we ought to get right back into the Paris accords and participate fully in a global program to reduce carbon based emissions. THIS WILL NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEMS ... much of the damage is inter-generational and already done, we can mitigate those problems however, and our people will need that help in the future. It's not for us that we need better fuel economy or cleaner energy sources now, it's for the young ones. Not being an engineer myself, I trust that our great nation will be up to the challenge once we all can agree serious work needs to be done and go after it with a sense of purpose.

Finally I would refer you back to my post #676, because we will have a hell of a lot of work to do in the future dealing with it. Which will take you back to what I am saying here: it will go easier on our nation in the future if we acknowledge the problem now and try to cut our emissions.
We have been making strides to reduce emissions. I discussed that earlier. Alternative energy sources are increasing every year. The percentages of electric cars is growing. More efficient appliances are popular.

Seems to me that the biggest solution for many seems to be name calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 02:47 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have been making strides to reduce emissions. I discussed that earlier. Alternative energy sources are increasing every year. The percentages of electric cars is growing. More efficient appliances are popular.

Seems to me that the biggest solution for many seems to be name calling.
I don't disagree, but I see some Americans are militant in their own denial of the problem, so much so that they have had our nation pull out of the climate accords (the only nation in the world to do so), to what purpose? To thumb their noses at the rest of us? To actually hurt us?

A am very glad that we have made such great strides as you point out. I considered mentioning that myself. This is all good, so I think we are in agreement there.

But much of that progress is driven by regulations, and the administration now is bent upon undoing those regulations, even to reducing or eliminating fleet mileage standards. What could the justification of that possibly be?

It doesn't make any sense to take us backward.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:50 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Repeat after me..."Global warming doesn't mean it's never cold"

Ever spit into the wind ? Trying to educate deniers is a lot like that. Every time the temperature drops one degree, they are saying how climate change is a hoax.

Might as well go talk to your cat.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree, but I see some Americans are militant in their own denial of the problem, so much so that they have had our nation pull out of the climate accords (the only nation in the world to do so), to what purpose? To thumb their noses at the rest of us? To actually hurt us?

A am very glad that we have made such great strides as you point out. I considered mentioning that myself. This is all good, so I think we are in agreement there.

But much of that progress is driven by regulations, and the administration now is bent upon undoing those regulations, even to reducing or eliminating fleet mileage standards. What could the justification of that possibly be?

It doesn't make any sense to take us backward.
There we go. More than name calling. I agree Trump bragging about removing regulations is a bad thing. I've argued in many threads that people won't simply do the right thing on their own.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:08 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
All five of the hottest years on record have occurred in the last five years, according to global temperature data released Wednesday by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

While 2018 was slightly cooler than the three prior years, Earth still had its fourth-warmest year since scientists began keeping records in 1880, the federal agencies said.

2018 was one of the hottest years on record — and this year could be even hotter:
http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sc...206-story.html
Ever noticed that it is always doom and gloom with these scientists? Almost makes one wonder if they need things to be bad in order to keep their jobs or funding.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:55 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Ever noticed that it is always doom and gloom with these scientists? Almost makes one wonder if they need things to be bad in order to keep their jobs or funding.
No it's actually not ALWAYS doom and gloom. Science is about discovering objective truths about the Universe and world we live in. Some of these truths are not pretty and some are wonderful. It's you who's putting the doom and gloom spin on things. Science is just stating the facts. Get used to it as scientific facts are never going away.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No it's actually not ALWAYS doom and gloom. Science is about discovering objective truths about the Universe and world we live in. Some of these truths are not pretty and some are wonderful. It's you who's putting the doom and gloom spin on things. Science is just stating the facts. Get used to it as scientific facts are never going away.

It wasn't the scientists making the outlandish claims. It was people like Al Gore.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:05 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
While 2018 was slightly cooler than the three prior years, Earth still had its fourth-warmest year since scientists began keeping records in 1880, the federal agencies said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Here's another perfect example. The statement this poster commented on says absolutely nothing about doom and gloom, but because of blinding political light, reading doom and gloom into it cannot be helped by politically-driven people.

We can't solve any problems because politics has us so divided that we can't even communicate anymore. Especially about science.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
I have given up on any idea of preventing climate problems. The problems are on the way. The only question is how severe they will be.

Acknowledging the situation does not make one an alarmist, just a realist. It is fair to spell out worst possible and best possible scenarios.

But I see your point. One way of forcing action is to exaggerate a problem and likewise one way of resisting action is to minimize a problem. We have seen this played out in current events but I am not convinced that presenting worst case scenarios in itself makes one an alarmist. During world war two many people had visions of Japanese forcing their way through the Cascade Range and I don't blame them, it could have happened had we ourselves not acted with resolve.

I am older now, and this fair country will still be a nice place when they lay me down, but I do fear for my grandchildren and I do not think that this climate issue should be ignored by me simply because it is unpleasant to contemplate or expensive to fix.
Alas, you are correct. Even if we were to somehow stop all carbon emissions right now, we are still in for at least 2 C of global warming - very likely more. A 2 degree warmer world will be a world where many will suffer from famine and natural disasters made worse by the actions (more like INaction) of man.

If you want to get really depressed, follow the discussions of climate scientists. To say that they are not overly optimistic is to put it mildly. Right now the consensus is that we may have as little as only a 5% chance of avoiding run-away global warming. Mostly, climatologists have engaged in a great deal of what Jim Hanson calls "scientific reticence." I find it ironic when deniers try to claim that scientists are just trying to grab money by means of their published research.

Those scientists who are willing to discuss the issues candidly are often those who have retired like Dr. Hanson or have in some other way distanced themselves from academic and governmental positions where politics trumps science. If you happen to be a climatologist or an ecologist, these are times of grief. We have already lost so much and are directly in line to lose so much more - the 6th mass extinction event is already well under way.

One scientist that I follow has stated that we have maybe a dozen years or less remaining. I think that this prediction is out there, but then I go back and review the latest data sets and come away feeling that Dr. "Twelve Years" is being overly optimistic.

I'm worried about our children and grandchildren myself - they are the main reason I continue on with the seemingly hopeless endeavor of discussing science in - of all things - a politics forum. Climatologists feel a "duty to warn," and I honor them for this. Theirs is a task of frustration and dismay. But we cannot give up on our children's futures.

I actually hope that there is a hell because the executives of Exxon and BP and all the other global petroleum corporations so richly deserve to go there. They have understood the problem since the 70's and have done an outstanding cover-up job. I don't see how they sleep at night - probably they just count their gold - and the worst part is that our society agrees that profit has the highest moral value.

It's no wonder that deniers claim that scientists are merely out for the big bucks. The denier clan seems to hold nothing else of worth. Maybe our current society SHOULD go under.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:27 PM

Under no scenario we aren't going to completely end emissions for a good long time. We do need to do better and can do better but we are still going to be here for a good long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies