Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does the money you have legally earned belong to?
The society 3 2.22%
The government 10 7.41%
You 117 86.67%
I don’t know. 5 3.70%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 12:21 PM

162 posts, read 62,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Legal means you didn’t earn your money by lying, cheating, stealing, or robbing.
That's not what legal means

Legal means "permitted by law"

Article I Section 8 of the Constitution grants Congress the power to define the laws (and collect taxes!)

Sucks when reality gets in the way of an otherwise great narrative though doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:29 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,761,984 times
Quote:
Simple question.
...........my wife.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM

37,489 posts, read 19,377,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixUSA View Post
Only if you believe in the concept of society.
If you have no society, you have no need for money. Money is only good as a medium of exchange with other entities which recognize it. Without society, money would have no value. If you choose to live in a society, you should be happy to pay your share towards its upkeep and expenses. If you aren't happy about it, find a place where there is no society and go for it.

Pro Tip: You may get lonely living alone without the benefits of a society. and books, WiFI, television, radio, and other such diversions will not be available. Hunting and gathering and stone knapping and chewing hides to make them soft enough for clothing will keep you pretty busy, though.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM

34,299 posts, read 15,731,006 times
There used to be a saying that possession is 9/10's of the law.

The gov. apparently operates 100 % on the one tenth. The democrats want to use that one tenth to capture 90 % of what is earned. That some pretty slick thinking.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:37 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,761,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
There used to be a saying that position is 9/10's of the law.

The gov. apparently operates 100 % on the one tenth. The democrats want to use that one tenth to capture 90 % of what is earned.
All real facts to the contrary .

Old 01-27-2019, 12:43 PM

25,452 posts, read 9,886,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixUSA View Post
Only if you believe in the concept of society.
The existence of society doesn't depend on believing it or not believing it.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I agree that we are social animals and need to work together and live in societies to survive. I disagree that what you earn belongs to anyone else simply by living near them.

If I ask you to mow my lawn for $100, you happily agree, mow my lawn, and I give you $100, some other person can't come along and claim a right to some of that $100. The agreement was between you and I, and the transaction is now completely over.

Many will claim that you owe "society" because "society" provides things and you are paying "society" back. First, unless they can provide a specific example of a good or service you chose to use and didn't pay for - which does NOT include goods or services given to you when you never requested or wanted in the first place - then you have no obligation to give them money. They're trying to overcomplicate things to the point where you think you owe them something you actually don't.

Second, it means nothing to owe "society". You owe the person or people who you agreed to pay for a good or service. End of transaction. You don't owe some vague amount of money to some vague collective of people in addition to that. You already held up your end of the bargain.
So I guess you don't pay taxes of any kind? Do you live on a deserted island?

Old 01-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Simple question.
Short answer is after taxes, it's mine. But I know this isn't what you're looking for.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 PM

1,087 posts, read 787,542 times
If someone else has a claim to "your earnings", then you do not have 100% ownership.

The US government and other public authorities have a claim to your paycheck and properties in the form of taxes. For whatever reason, the government can raise taxes to take away partial or most of yours. Thus, you are a government slave in that sense. Some people own lands but must pay property taxes, but the land generates no incomes and the property tax is high, they don't feel they own it.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:06 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,300,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaman View Post
Can you cite any examples of a modern society existing with no taxes or any sort of proposal on how that ought to work in the 21st century?
Income taxes sure

Monaco (you've heard of it, on the Cote D'Azure, does have sales tax)
Caymans (no tax across the board)
Bermuda (no tax, but some property taxes)
Bahamas (sales tax)
Anguilla (no tax across the board)
St Kitts and Nevis (no tax across the board)
Sark (may be a property tax, not sure off the top of my head)
Oman (Corp tax)
Bahrain (sales tax)
Qatar (Corp tax)
Kuwait (no tax across the board)
Brunei (Corp tax)
UAE (sales tax)
British Virgin Islands (no tax across the board)
Saudi (if you're not Saudi, but living and working there)

So that's 5 modern societies, unless you're looking at Portugal as not being a modern society, because the Caymans, Brunei, BVI, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait have higher UNHDI than Portugal. Indeed the Caymans, Bermuda and BVI have higher UNHDI than Norway (but are not represented in the UN).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies