Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Jussie Smollett Attack was a hoax ?
Yes 503 92.63%
No 41 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,003,707 times

Advertisements

Imo it's pretty ridiculous people on social media jumped to "lynching" after hearing he had rope thrown around his neck. Don't get me wrong, it is suspicious to do that to a black person and I can't really see why else rope would be used in such a way except for a symbolic lynching, but assuming what's been recently reported is true, I did not expect the rope to be a thin clothesline rope. And I also didn't expect it to be loosely slung around him. Granted, maybe they didn't have time to tighten it (this did apparently all happen in only about a minute) and maybe it was just meant to be symbolic, but I really didn't picture what's being reported when I heard "lynching."

I am not sure who even first used the word lynching in connection with this. The police report says white rope was "draped" around his neck, so the official report did not liken this to a lynching. Doesn't mean they're not seeing the connection, it just means they weren't sensationalizing it - which is my point, why sensationalize it so early on? It's now a week later and there is barely any progress in this investigation, it seems. Apparently, no recorded attack though many of his other movements that night were recorded. Imho, even if this turns out to be entirely true and they catch the people who did it, it's foolish to sensationalize and dramatize initial reports in such a way. If this was a symbolic lynching, we will probably know when the people who did it are caught and police can examine their motives and who they are to determine what went on and why.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM

2,362 posts, read 779,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Imo it's pretty ridiculous people on social media jumped to "lynching" after hearing he had rope thrown around his neck. Don't get me wrong, it is suspicious to do that to a black person and I can't really see why else rope would be used in such a way except for a symbolic lynching, but assuming what's been recently reported is true, I did not expect the rope to be a thin clothesline rope. And I also didn't expect it to be loosely slung around him. Granted, maybe they didn't have time to tighten it (this did apparently all happen in only about a minute) and maybe it was just meant to be symbolic, but I really didn't picture what's being reported when I heard "lynching."

I am not sure who even first used the word lynching in connection with this. The police report says white rope was "draped" around his neck, so the official report did not liken this to a lynching. Doesn't mean they're not seeing the connection, it just means they weren't sensationalizing it - which is my point, why sensationalize it so early on? It's now a week later and there is barely any progress in this investigation, it seems. Apparently, no recorded attack though many of his other movements that night were recorded. Imho, even if this turns out to be entirely true and they catch the people who did it, it's foolish to sensationalize and dramatize initial reports in such a way. If this was a symbolic lynching, we will probably know when the people who did it are caught and police can examine their motives and who they are to determine what went on and why.
Lynching does not necessarily need to mean hanging. It just means a mob of people killing someone outside a trial. A lynching can involve someone being pummeled to death by rocks.

It's interesting how in the American mindset, lynching = hanging due to those photos being circulated from the post-reconstruction South. In many cases, those African-Americans weren't even hanged before they were killed, they were strung up after as a warning and as trophies.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:53 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,100,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Lynching does not necessarily need to mean hanging. It just means a mob of people killing someone outside a trial. A lynching can involve someone being pummeled to death by rocks.

It's interesting how in the American mindset, lynching = hanging due to those photos being circulated from the post-reconstruction South. In many cases, those African-Americans weren't even hanged before they were killed, they were strung up after as a warning and as trophies.
This is the most informative post in this whole thread.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,702,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post

Sure, it can mean that. Yet in the history of the United States of America lynching is synonymous with hanging. It always has been.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:20 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,614,002 times
Have they confirmed that he was in fact carrying a Subway sandwich and not a disguised bundle of drugs? Is there footage of him INSIDE Subway?

Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,100,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Have they confirmed that he was in fact carrying a Subway sandwich and not a disguised bundle of drugs? Is there footage of him INSIDE Subway?
Not likely that he was out buying a kilo of coke or a QP of weed. Personal purchases are tiny.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:37 PM

2,824 posts, read 2,291,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Not likely that he was out buying a kilo of coke or a QP of weed. Personal purchases are tiny.

Yeah..plus there is video at subway. I really don't understand why so many are convinced that this was a failed drug deal. A) why call the cops if you were engaged in something illegal. B) Nobody explains how the MAGA threat letter fits into the botched drug deal.

I admit the official story has issues, but a botched drug deal has at least as many holes in it.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
He lives near Midway.
He doesn't "live" in the area at all. He was staying at Loews Hotel.

Which, by the way, has 24 hour room service.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I know that’s why I said disguised. I didn’t mean the entire bundle was drugs.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He doesn't "live" in the area at all. He was staying at Loews Hotel.

Which, by the way, has 24 hour room service.
I believe he lives in New York where the show is filmed? Good catch on the 24-hr room service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies