Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Jussie Smollett Attack was a hoax ?
Yes 503 92.63%
No 41 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:39 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
The guy is famous and on tv/movies why in the world would he create this scandal? The story initially seemed skeptical to me but I tried to keep an open mind because no one believed Kim Kardashian's attack. I just want to know now why did he make it all up?
Doesn't make any sense, does it? Funny that you brought up Kim Kardashian.

I read one article talking about the difference in how these 2 reacted to the crimes (or alleged) crimes against them. They said that Kim Kardashian was almost despondent for a time. She was shake up, badly, and had no desire to talk to the media, but fully cooperated with the police.

Smollett, on the other hand, has appeared to do everything but help the police find his alleged attackers, and went to the media about 2 weeks later, angry not at what happened, but that people didn't believe him.

So he was upset that his crayon drawing threat didn't get enough attention, decided to fake a hate crime, then got upset that a lot of people didn't believe that story.

I still think there's something more going on, but maybe, despite the massive amount of TDS I've seen, the insane number of tantrums that I've seen, the nasty words, and attacks on people that I've seen, just maybe some people have TDS far deeper than I thought - to the point that they would go to such a ridiculous hoax to make Trump and his supporters look bad?

Some nobody out there doing it - idiots, but not unexpected.

A person who is a rising star, well liked, talented, successful, living a nice, comfy life - why the hell would they do something like that? TDS is so bad that they were willing to take the chance of throwing it all away? Really?

If it turns out to be nothing more than the worst case of TDS I've ever seen thus far, then maybe it's time the media, Maxine, and others back the hell off. In their efforts to smear all of us, they are destroying their own.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:40 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I was speaking from my point of view not how everyone else views it.
I didn't mean to point you out in my disagreement, just the sentiment that statement leads us to.

Sorry about the harshness of my statement.

Glad I got that in before this thread goes over the cliff

Old 02-19-2019, 12:41 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
This whole thing surely shows how epically stupid Smollett is.

I keep trying to find a good reason why Smollett would do something like this. I also have to wonder if there was anyone egging him on, anyone who helped him plan this. And the ever present "WHY?" lingers there in my mind. What did he have to gain? Maybe the answer is, as you suggested--he is just plain stupid and there is no good reason.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:45 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I read one article talking about the difference in how these 2 reacted to the crimes (or alleged) crimes against them. They said that Kim Kardashian was almost despondent for a time. She was shake up, badly, and had no desire to talk to the media, but fully cooperated with the police.

Smollett, on the other hand, has appeared to do everything but help the police find his alleged attackers, and went to the media about 2 weeks later, angry not at what happened, but that people didn't believe him.

So he was upset that his crayon drawing threat didn't get enough attention, decided to fake a hate crime, then got upset that a lot of people didn't believe that story.

I still think there's something more going on, but maybe, despite the massive amount of TDS I've seen, the insane number of tantrums that I've seen, the nasty words, and attacks on people that I've seen, just maybe some people have TDS far deeper than I thought - to the point that they would go to such a ridiculous hoax to make Trump and his supporters look bad?

A person who is a rising star, well liked, talented, successful, living a nice, comfy life - why the hell would they do something like that? TDS is so bad that they were willing to take the chance of throwing it all away? Really?

If it turns out to be nothing more than the worst case of TDS I've ever seen thus far, then maybe it's time the media, Maxine, and others back the hell off. In their efforts to smear all of us, they are destroying their own.

Very astute observation. Future historians may well compare this era today with the hysteria in 17th century America that led to the Salem witchcraft trials.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
At least he has his family. Several members are taking to twitter using Malcomn X quotes and whatnot.....now claiming that the media is lying after they gave him the red carpet treatment from the beginning.

Oh well, at least they have a reason for their blindness and good to see family being tight even when one of them has been a moron and they just can't accept reality yet.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
wapo opinion column. barf alert.

Quote:
If Smollett’s story is found to be untrue, it will cause irreparable damage to the communities most affected. Smollett would be the first example skeptics cite when they say we should be dubious of victims who step forward to share their experiences of racist hate crimes or sexual violence. The incident would be touted as proof that there is a leftist conspiracy to cast Trump supporters as violent, murderous racists. It would be the very embodiment of “fake news.”
uh, yeah. it is proof of exactly that.

Quote:
And that reason, more than any other, is why I need this story to be true, despite its ugliness and despite what it would say about the danger of the world I live in. The damage done would be too deep and long-lasting. This could be one tragedy that the Lyon family — and more importantly, the ordinary people who loved the show and invested in Smollett and his character — could never overcome.
did you get that? she NEEDS it to be true. that a 'hate crime' didn't occur makes her extremely upset. 'heartbroken', as a matter of fact.

think on that one for a bit

I doubted Jussie Smollett. It breaks my heart that I might be right.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Dunno, but Anderson Cooper called Jussie a psychopath.
This is very personal for Cooper. He is openly gay and when something like this happens it takes away some progress that the gay community has worked so hard to achieve.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
The meme generators are in hyperdrive

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzsfC4MWkAAOsVD.jpg:large
LOL

That's awesome.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:54 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Man, looking at it this way, holy crap, what he did is super psychopathic! He staged an attack, didn't get enough attention from the letter, got mad that people didn't believe him, went on National TV and cried about it, and it's just....all staged for no reason.....it's like...why???

I bet you the guy will probably be carried away peacefully by claiming he's mentally insane instead of being prosecuted.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:00 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I bet you the guy will probably be carried away peacefully by claiming he's mentally insane instead of being prosecuted.
Too high-profile. They're going to make an example out of him to other people that feel like faking crimes for whatever motivation.

For example, celebs that cheat on their taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies