Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 08:15 AM

6,354 posts, read 2,903,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Where in this thread has anyone said this?.

This is lots of people's view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Any man worried about being saddled with child support after a night of unprotected sex should mind their sperm better. I bet 90 percent of men never use birth control. Men should be a bit more particular with who they sleep with make sure your partner wants same thing your concerns will be few

If a woman has unprotected sex she can just get an abortion. But a man can't. It's discrimination against men. And my point about men who have been raped by women was totally ignored. If you tell female rape victims they should have been more careful you get labelled a misogynist. But it's OK to say that about male rape victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 08:15 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Repeating question, since it seems it got forgotten or ignored.
It's only a relevant question for anarcho-capitalists. Unfortunately, at least on this forum, the movement has largely become a parody of itself, or a troll ideology, so I for one just think of such questions as the buzzing of a pesky mosquito in my ear.

A shame, because libertarian types used to have some good ideas. Then they found they could get more of a rise out of people by preaching anarchy, and became much less worthy of serious consideration.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,162 times
No poll?

Anyways, since I truly believe in gender equality, 100% yes

Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

If a woman has unprotected sex she can just get an abortion. But a man can't. It's discrimination against men. And my point about men who have been raped by women was totally ignored. If you tell female rape victims they should have been more careful you get labelled a misogynist. But it's OK to say that about male rape victims.

It's not a matter of fairness or discrimination, it's just biology. Unless you want to argue that mother nature is sexist against men.

I am completely for absolving child support from any man (or boy) who was raped. That seems like common sense. It seems to me that should be a priority over any kind of opting out of parenthood when it's a result of unprotected consensual sex.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
The need for equality is amazing I know, but men and women are not equal. What's needed is respect for the differences.

I would agree if the man would have to endure a grueling medical procedure to have the abortion, otherwise, no. It's too easy to just opt out.

When men can physically have a baby, then we will talk, until then, women are in charge of this situation because they give birth, men do not. Men deposite. Women decide on a physically draining path in which they have a limited ability to work and pay a lot of money to have a child. If they decide to have an abortion, they also go through physical and financial hardship to do it.

Men can simply wear protection if they don't feel financially ready to have a child.

Men, don't rely on women for birth control options, you don't have too. Nobody can make you do something you don't want to do.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:28 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
Quote:

I believe if a man is raped, they should report it, and with that, they could opt out through the law. That's too rare to base this situation on though.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:29 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Quote:
Well, to say a woman can "just get an abortion" is trivializing the costs (financial, physical, emotional), availability of services, state laws and restrictions, and medical concerns/consequences associated with the process.

That said, the situation you cited, while rare, is valid. As are the cases where men are more than willing to be the sole parent for the product of an unintended pregnancy.

Yes, there are men who skip out on the responsibilities associated with unplanned children. There are also women who use unplanned children to manipulate or take advantage of the father.

In general, I do think that men deserve some additional protections and rights. But ultimately the woman carries the baby, so there is an inherent imbalance that will, and should, always tip the scales so that it will never be 100% "fair."

Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Historically, the biological differences between men and women have been a big part of why there were double standards regarding social acceptance of promiscuity between the two sexes. Women had the babies so women had an extra responsibility to guard the womb, so to speak. It was unfair, but as it has been pointed out in this thread, it's a physical reality. Now that any suggestion that women show any responsibility in their sexual habits is verboten it may be time to take a look at what a father's rights and responsibilities ought to be as well. Are we now going to put all of the responsibility on the male, and if so is that any more equitable than how it was in times past when most of the responsibility was put on the woman? If sexual equality is really a goal, instead of just flipping the script of gender inequality, we need to rethink expectations all around.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default Everyone should be careful, it's not a casual decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider07 View Post
…

I find it funny that some people say men have no say over what a woman does with her body but he is the one on the hook for paying for the child, whether he wants it or not, if she decides to keep it, but has no say in whether the baby is kept or not.

I am not expert on abortion laws, so, if a couple is married, does it give the man more of a right to stop an abortion?
Family law in the US generally assumes that the male is the breadwinner, & so he is assessed child maintenance, leaves the house (if any) to her & child(ren), etc. This is changing slowly, in some jurisdictions, especially if the woman has a lot more income than he does. I remember one odd case where the man (a stay-@-home dad?) was actually awarded alimony (or maybe it was child maintenance, if he was going to keep & raise the children). But that's rare, TMK.

I don't know of any jurisdiction where the man can prevent the woman's abortion.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
It's only a relevant question for anarcho-capitalists. Unfortunately, at least on this forum, the movement has largely become a parody of itself, or a troll ideology, so I for one just think of such questions as the buzzing of a pesky mosquito in my ear.

A shame, because libertarian types used to have some good ideas. Then they found they could get more of a rise out of people by preaching anarchy, and became much less worthy of serious consideration.
First of all, I am not discussing political or economic systems, so no idea why anarcho-capitalism entered the discussion.

Next, the insults are meaningless and kinda comical, coming from a statist who champions theft, rape and murder so long as its outsourced.

Finally, you don't answer the question. Why can't two people in a voluntary association figure out the terms of that association without external force applied by the government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies