Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well, LGBT history is the same as other history, so why would people have a problem with it? They already teach black history and Native American history, so what's the big deal with teaching LGBT history?

Unless you are a bigot who can't stand the thought of your kid even learning about gay people, it shouldn't be an issue.
Totally agree.

Suicide rates are MUCH higher among gay youth; they are at greater risk of being bullied etc. God forbid anyone be taught that they are actually HUMAN.

Good lord some of these people are awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:10 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
Quote:
Because that is part of the history. Would you teach about the civil rights era without talking about Emmett Till, or MLK, or the Birmingham campaign or Selma? I think not. It isn't a different class, as you keep saying, but part of the history itself. You could not teach the history without talking about the discrimination.

There you go misrepresenting what someone said. Again. I never said anyone who disagrees with me is a bigot. My husband disagrees with me on a lot of things, but that doesn't mean he's a bigot.

What I said, was that being against any sort of LGBT history being taught would likely make one a bigot, scared, or ignorant. Why else would one oppose it? Could you give me a reason that wouldn't put them in one of those categories?
So you're sticking with your notion that kids need a class on "all the terrible things that 'good Christians' have done to them". lol

Naturally I'm pointing out that you're accusing people who disagree with you on this issue of being bigots, not every issue. I'm pretty sure you knew that. It isn't going to work though. You can't pressure people in to staying silent with that overused label anymore.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,608,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Totally agree.

Suicide rates are MUCH higher among gay youth; they are at greater risk of being bullied etc. God forbid anyone be taught that they are actually HUMAN.

Good lord some of these people are awful.
Yes, yes they are.

Personally, I just don't understand people who hate gay people SOOOOO much, that they can't even bear the thought of their kids even knowing they exist, much less learning about them. OH! THE HORROR!

I can understand if it was some class teaching revisionist history or something, but why the outrage over simply detailing the horrors that gay people have been through, and the steps we have made to advance ourselves forward? I don't know, I'm not a mouth breather, so maybe you have to be in order to understand the so called logic.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
So you're sticking with your notion that kids need a class on "all the terrible things that 'good Christians' have done to them". lol
So you're sticking with misrepresenting and lying about what others post?

Quote:
Naturally I'm pointing out that you're accusing people who disagree with you on this issue of being bigots, not every issue. I'm pretty sure you knew that. It isn't going to work though. You can't pressure people in to staying silent with that overused label anymore.
Still misrepresenting... Sad...

No, I am not saying everyone that disagrees with me on this particular issue is a bigot. They could also be ignorant or scared. Or all 3. Can you prove otherwise? Give me one good reason to oppose this, other than being a bigot, scared, or ignorant. I see you didn't try in your last post, only a poor job of trolling for a reaction.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
So you're sticking with misrepresenting and lying about what others post?

Still misrepresenting... Sad...

No, I am not saying everyone that disagrees with me on this particular issue is a bigot. They could also be ignorant or scared. Or all 3. Can you prove otherwise? Give me one good reason to oppose this, other than being a bigot, scared, or ignorant. I see you didn't try in your last post, only a poor job of trolling for a reaction.
LOL adding more demeaning adjectives isn't going to work either...and is quite ironic in a post where you say I'm just trying to get a reaction. Now go back and find where I said I'm against including gay civil rights in a class about civil rights, and while you're at it look at what part of your argument I did actually object too.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
LOL adding more demeaning adjectives isn't going to work either...and is quite ironic in a post where you say I'm just trying to get a reaction. Now go back and find where I said I'm against including gay civil rights in a class about civil rights, and while you're at it look at what part of your argument I did actually object too.
Those weren't added. They have been in every post you have responded to, you have just ignored them. So, the answer is, "No ImissThe90's, I can't give a reason to oppose it that doesn't put a person in one of those categories,". Got it!

Old 02-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Those weren't added. They have been in every post you have responded to, you have just ignored them. So, the answer is, "No ImissThe90's, I can't give a reason to oppose it that doesn't put a person in one of those categories,". Got it!
Looks like you're still sticking to your notion that kids need a class about "all the terrible things that 'good Christians' have done" to gay people.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Agree- stupid is as stupid does. No way I'd send my children to the public school system in todays America.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Looks like you're still sticking to your notion that kids need a class about "all the terrible things that 'good Christians' have done" to gay people.
Looks like you have proved me correct as well, so thanks!

Old 02-06-2019, 02:14 PM

5,112 posts, read 2,055,132 times
Quote:
I'm playing the devil's advocate here but could everyone imagine the uproar and other reactions if someone mentionned that kids need a class on "all the terrible things that 'good Muslims' have done to them" instead of "need a class on "all the terrible things that 'good Christians' have done to them"?

And could it open a upcoming Pandora's box? I mentionned a point in another thread on C-D forums but I guess it might be worth to mention that article mentionned in an another forum here as well, that's happened in a junior high school in Birmingham in the UK.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...llied-15745084

Let's imagine and replace Birmingham, UK with New Jersey,....let's see if that could give us more food for thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies