Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 04:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Does anyone know how to generate graphs on the dept of labor web site to show what percentage of americans in the work force are making $18/hr or less at 40 hours a week.
Why?

What kind of propaganda and disinformation are you hell-bent on spewing?

Quote:
I was reading an article that stated over half of americans in the work force are making at or under $18/hr which I would constitute as a McJob.
Then you got sucked into propaganda and disinformation.

The amount of money someone earns is totally irrelevant.

What is relevant, is what you can buy with that money.

People just like you who are susceptible to propaganda and disinformation aren't intelligent enough to recognize the differences.

People just like you would stupidly turn down a job in Cincinnati that pays $44,000/year to take a job in White Plains, New Jersey that pays $100,000/year, because you falsely believe $100,000 is more.

It's isn't. The $44,000 job actually pays $4,000/year more than the $100,000 job.

It's not how much you make, it's how much you can buy.

If I blind-folded you and took you to their homes, there is no possible way you would ever figure out which person earns $100,000 and which earns $44,000.

They have exact same size house, same number of rooms, same size lot; they have the exact same furniture and appliances; their closets are filled with clothes and shoes from the exact same brand labels; they have the exact same number of cars, same year, same make, same model (the color might be different).

It's the Cost-of-Living that matters. It takes $100,000/year to have all that in White Plains, but it only takes $40,000 to have the exact same things in Cincinnati.

So, at $44,000 the person in Cincinnati has an extra $4,000 a year to invest, save or spend as the please, while the person in White Plains can only be jealous.

A few years ago, there was a moron on the Ohio Forum that was absolutely convinced his wife was going to take a $28,000 pay cut in her teaching job.

In reality, and that's all that matters, she was actually getting a $12,000 pay raise.

Yes, numerically-speaking $48,000 is less than $76,000, but in Ohio, $48,000 is the equivalent of $88,000 in California.

At $48,000 their life-style would not have been negatively impacted in any way, shape or form. They would have the exact same identical life-style they had in California, plus an extra $12,000 a year to play with.

His little-brain was so tiny and limited he just couldn't wrap his brain around the reality.

Your own government knows this to be true.

With an income of $56,000 per year, some single people qualify for HUD Section 8 benefits and the tax-payers pay 66% of their rent.

But, some single people earning $14,001 a year earn way too much money to qualify for HUD Section 8 benefits.

How can that be?

The Cost-of-Living varies tremendously across the US, because the US is not Iceland, or Denmark or Norway.

$56,000 - $14,000 = $42,000

That's a huge difference. It works out to

$26.92/hour - $6.73/hour = $20.19/hour

Some people earn $26/hour and some $6.75/hour and they have the exact same Life-Style.

It's not how much you make, it's what you can do with it.

There are people in San Fransisco who pay $2,295/month for an efficiency apartment.

The fact that it is true doesn't mean everyone in the US pays $2,295/month for an efficiency. Some people pay $495/month for a 2-bedroom apartment like these in a nice part of town with quick access to interstates:

Minimum wage in Ohio is $8.50/hour so people can easily afford 2-bedroom apartments here, which actually start at $365/month.

If you don't want to make minimum wage, then get a fast-food job, because those start at $11.00/hour and you'll be at $11.50/hour in 6 months.

People here buy houses making $11.00/hour, because, you know, you can. If others cannot, that only proves Cost-of-Living varies.

You don't really need $18.00/hour to buy a house here, but it would be nice if you could, especially if you wanted an acre or two acres of land with your house.

Quote:
If it is in fact true that over half of working americans are making less than 18 hr then we truely are one of the dumbest populations on earth if we keep voting GOP.
Your conclusions are all wrong.

What it means is you don't understand Economics and know next-to-nothing about the country in which you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why?

Then you got sucked into propaganda and disinformation.

The amount of money someone earns is totally irrelevant.

What is relevant, is what you can buy with that money.

People just like you who are susceptible to propaganda and disinformation aren't intelligent enough to recognize the differences.

People just like you would stupidly turn down a job in Cincinnati that pays $44,000/year to take a job in White Plains, New Jersey that pays $100,000/year, because you falsely believe $100,000 is more.

It's isn't. The $44,000 job actually pays $4,000/year more than the $100,000 job.

It's not how much you make, it's how much you can buy.

If I blind-folded you and took you to their homes, there is no possible way you would ever figure out which person earns $100,000 and which earns $44,000.

They have exact same size house, same number of rooms, same size lot; they have the exact same furniture and appliances; their closets are filled with clothes and shoes from the exact same brand labels; they have the exact same number of cars, same year, same make, same model (the color might be different).

It's the Cost-of-Living that matters. It takes $100,000/year to have all that in White Plains, but it only takes $40,000 to have the exact same things in Cincinnati.

So, at $44,000 the person in Cincinnati has an extra $4,000 a year to invest, save or spend as the please, while the person in White Plains can only be jealous.

A few years ago, there was a moron on the Ohio Forum that was absolutely convinced his wife was going to take a $28,000 pay cut in her teaching job.

In reality, and that's all that matters, she was actually getting a $12,000 pay raise.

Yes, numerically-speaking $48,000 is less than $76,000, but in Ohio, $48,000 is the equivalent of $88,000 in California.

At $48,000 their life-style would not have been negatively impacted in any way, shape or form. They would have the exact same identical life-style they had in California, plus an extra $12,000 a year to play with.

His little-brain was so tiny and limited he just couldn't wrap his brain around the reality.

Your own government knows this to be true.

With an income of $56,000 per year, some single people qualify for HUD Section 8 benefits and the tax-payers pay 66% of their rent.

But, some single people earning $14,001 a year earn way too much money to qualify for HUD Section 8 benefits.

How can that be?

The Cost-of-Living varies tremendously across the US, because the US is not Iceland, or Denmark or Norway.

$56,000 - $14,000 = $42,000

That's a huge difference. It works out to

$26.92/hour - $6.73/hour = $20.19/hour

Some people earn $26/hour and some $6.75/hour and they have the exact same Life-Style.

It's not how much you make, it's what you can do with it.

There are people in San Fransisco who pay $2,295/month for an efficiency apartment.

The fact that it is true doesn't mean everyone in the US pays $2,295/month for an efficiency. Some people pay $495/month for a 2-bedroom apartment like these in a nice part of town with quick access to interstates:

Minimum wage in Ohio is $8.50/hour so people can easily afford 2-bedroom apartments here, which actually start at $365/month.

If you don't want to make minimum wage, then get a fast-food job, because those start at $11.00/hour and you'll be at $11.50/hour in 6 months.

People here buy houses making $11.00/hour, because, you know, you can. If others cannot, that only proves Cost-of-Living varies.

You don't really need $18.00/hour to buy a house here, but it would be nice if you could, especially if you wanted an acre or two acres of land with your house.

What it means is you don't understand Economics and know next-to-nothing about the country in which you live.
Ohio must really suck if $11/hr will buy you a house. We supposedly aren't a high COL state, yet $11/hr is literally minimum wage here as of 1/1/19, and even at $18.50/hr, I'm still renting a 1 bedroom.

Cheap places are cheap for a reason, they usually have crappy weather, and boring geography and little demand.

I'd rather have my 70° winters and sunshine than deal with Ohio winters (I'm from NY originally, so Ohio isn't much different there)

Old 02-10-2019, 07:35 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That 13 years of engineering experience only allows for you to go into an entry level position says everything about you. The issue isn’t Alaska...
How about 50 years? Maybe if I were immortal and had 100 years experience and 3 PhD's. What is your issue man?

The issue is not JUST Alaska, Alaska just happens to have an aweful economy right now. I dont have an entry level resume, its that the jobs I am qualified for are far and few between because employers are not hiring. Its that simple.

It does not say anything about me.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 02-10-2019 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 07:39 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why?

Oh, so actual facts are wrong and your anecdotes are correct:

Ohio
Median household income: $51,075
Regional price parity out of 100: 89.2
Real income: $57,259

51,000 is $1,000 a week if I am not wrong. That's $25 an hour on median. Not 8.50.

And, according to you.....what really matters is that last figure...that is, real income when adjusted for the price parity and all the other stuff.

Massachusetts
Median household income: $70,628
Regional price parity out of 100: 106.9
Real income: $66,069

Ok, so - yeah - stuff is more expensive in MA.
BUT, after ALL adjustments, the "real income" is higher. Quite a bit higher...and, that median is now $1400 a week or $35 an hour.

Your cred is completely lost because there are no statistics anywhere that shows $8.50 an hour is a living wage.

A car still costs the same. Gas costs the same (but you probably use more to get places). Real health insurance costs close enough to the same. All the things we buy on Amazon at at Costco cost close to the same.

Finding one example does not a statistic make. We lived at one time, in the USA, on a dollar per person per day. That means $60 a month for the wife and I. Housing, food, medical care and everything (1973).

Just because we did it or it can be done by someone somewhere does not mean it fits any real measurements or statistics.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Ohio must really suck if $11/hr will buy you a house. We supposedly aren't a high COL state, yet $11/hr is literally minimum wage here as of 1/1/19, and even at $18.50/hr, I'm still renting a 1 bedroom.

Cheap places are cheap for a reason, they usually have crappy weather, and boring geography and little demand.

I'd rather have my 70° winters and sunshine than deal with Ohio winters (I'm from NY originally, so Ohio isn't much different there)
Yep, I think tax is just a nasty sociopath. I dont have to move anywhere I dont want to move. States like Oklahoma are crap holes, there is a cost premium associated with these places and if they dont want to pay I dont want to go, its that simple.

I dont know how they dont know this. I think they just like to be nasty and belittle peoples hard work, educations, expereince and skills and if you dont have a good job its 100% your fault. Thats a sociopaths MO (or phycopath).

I know that my situation is outside of my control thats why I dont stress about it. Its really simple, you apply for a job and if you dont get it you dont get it. The reasons that you didnt get it could be myriad.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,365,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People have a right to turn down any job that pays below their personal desired wage.

Employers can offer whatever legal wage they wish.

By the numbers, there is job growth. Wage stagnation is a different stat.

But the thing is, no one is forced to work for a low wage.
Think.

A person who can't get a high paying job IS forced to work for a low wage since that's all they can command.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Dude View Post
It's nice that you value your employees that way, I value mine as well and I wish I could pay them more money. However....

The risks for starting and operating your own business are very high. All from taxes, regulations, permits, lawyers, banking fees, IT, insurance, ad valorem taxes, interstate taxes, employee payroll, cost for overhead and office space and etc are very high no matter where you reside. When you go into business for yourself everyone wants a piece of the action, no matter how much money you make or don't make you still have to pay the fiddler.

As a small business owner, there are months where I run a negative deficit and actually earn less than my employees. Local regulations make it harder for me each year, as I live in a city that is run by democrats who pass more and more regulation each and every year to limit my earnings potential even more. (Houston, tx).

If you live in an area where you can afford to give your employees a near 100% raise then I don't think you're living in the real world. At least not the one that I live in, either that or you have a safety net backing you up somehow.

As business owners, we deserve every cent of profit that we make. Our jobs are not easy, most folks cannot do these jobs because they don't have the fortitude that it takes. Do you remember the last time you didn't work at least 70 hours in a week as a small business owner? Because I sure as hell can't.

People like the OP want **** handed to them. Well, Sorry bud but it ain't going to happen. You want to make $20/hr for working a no skill job?? HAHAHAHAHA. I make less than $20 per hour as a business owner some months, come run my business bro and I will go make $20/hr working at burger king.
Most people don’t have the start up capital to start a real business. Also many people who ARE skilled are forced to take these jobs due to lack of good jobs.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 02-11-2019 at 12:31 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
That's a YOU problem, though. Not a ME problem. See, I worked for my start up capital and I did so working ****ty jobs that payed barely over the minimum wage. Thing is, I saved my money. Sure, I lived at home with mom and dad for a bit (4 years until I was 25). But I didn't go out at all, didn't waste it on restaurants, clothes, ipads and other bull****. I was very frugal with my money.

I got lucky because a guy in the limousine business saw something in me, and taught me the nature of the business. He saw that in me because I worked my ass off while earning next to minimum wage while working for him while everyone else beside me was just looking for handouts.

I owe my financial freedom to an Egyptian immigrant. Truth be told. But, I would never have received that help if I had the attitude that you espouse, nor many other people in this thread. Because all of you would have given up since the entry level job payed so little.
You glossed over the fact you lived at home which boomers have been shaming milenials for. Also a lot of people forced into McJobs are well beyond entry level. I am not referring to no skill 18 year olds.

Don’t worry there are a lot of under employed highly skilled people and what they do with those skills might not be pretty.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Just to be clear, the taxpayer picks up less of a social welfare benefit cost than if the employee were unemployed, rather than working at a low paying job. "McJobs" reduce, rather than increase the welfare cost to society.

McJobs enable perpetual failure.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
So, is this thread about what boomers think or about economics? I went with the latter, because what boomers think doesn't really matter to me all that much.

What's the agenda here? I'm Gen X by the way, but only by a year or so because im 39 years old. But nobody cares about Gen X, we are the people that nobody really ever gave a **** about and yet made the best for ourselves.
Someone needs a hug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies