Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 10:20 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I read this as only business owners deserve any money and everyone else can just starve to death. Sounds like a great vision for society

You guys talk out both sides of your mouths. On one hand, you tell people to get a job, but then out the other, you say the jobs they should get shouldn't exist. I don't understand it at all.

Further, how is a business supposed to survive without customers if no one has jobs?
Where do you come up with the idea that anyone thinks jobs should be nonexistent? That isn't what I or the other poster are saying. We're saying that it isn't the purpose of a business to provide employment. The purpose of the business is to make money. Employees are hired as the need for more people increases and let go as the need diminishes, not because the business owner is giving away jobs. There isn't a successful business owner in the world who is going to a) hire people that they don't need or b) keep people who cause them to lose money.

Nobody deserves money. That's why wages are referred to as earnings; because you earn them. You either earn them by owning a business, or you earn them by working for someone else. Some people earn more than others. This doesn't mean that they are inherently evil, nor does it mean that anyone else is entitled to their money. Money is used to pay for goods and/or services. If you are providing either, the only thing you "deserve" is whatever amount you and the person you are providing them to agree upon. Not what other people think is fair, not whatever the market value of said goods/services is, only the amount you agree upon with the person you are providing to. When you work for a business, your skill set determines the value that the business is willing to pay you for providing the use of that skill set to them. People with rare skills or skills that are only acquired after a lot of training will naturally be more valuable to a business than people with common skills.

There will always be jobs available for those with minimal skills, but those jobs will always pay less than (also always going to be available) jobs that require more specialized skills. The entire argument about McJobs is ridiculous, because McJobs have always and will always exist. From the earliest settlements of humanity, there have been menial jobs done by people who merely survived on what they earned for those jobs while people with more important or specialized tasks were able to live in relative luxury. Every society, every community, every country, has always had some who were at the bottom of the economic heap and others who were at the top. Yet, here we are discussing it like it's some sort of new thing that needs an immediate solution. The only viable solution is to make yourself more valuable to whatever business you work for and negotiate a better deal for yourself or provide a good/service to a wider audience by starting your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 10:37 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You can do the math all you want, but when the numbers are coming from the government you won't get the right answer. There has never been a government program which came in at or under the number that was quoted. Remember Obamacare? How it was supposed to lower the cost of healthcare? If Bernie's plan is estimated at 32 trillion, it will most likely cost somwhere north of 50 trillion - and I'm being extremely optimistic. Our government can't even write a budget that keeps us in the black, and you want to let them take over something as important as healthcare? That's like asking your homeless broke uncle for financial advice.

Quite frankly, I don't want the goverment to help with healthcare. They've already shown that they suck at it. As usual, the most frightening statement in the world is "We're from the government, and we're here to help."

You believe that the government should be expanded even more than it already is. I believe that the government has not only overstepped its boundaries, but has wandered so far out of the yard that the neighbors are considering it a stray. It's a simple difference of opinion, but also a major one. I can not, and never will, understand how anyone could trust the federal government to "take care of" anything. The United States government has been exposed over and over for being so corrupt that Jimmy Hoffa and Al Capone look like Sunday School teachers. And statists like you want to give them even more power. The movie Idiocracy really has become a documentary.

Take your condescending attitude and eat it raw. The fact that you are naive enough to trust the most poorly run organization in the world with your healthcare is your problem. Don't blame me for pointing out how poorly your trust is placed.

I get it.

You are unable to refute my argument so you respond with childish attacks.

All accomplished was showing us you are not ready to discus this like an adult.

To be clear you failed to refute any of my points.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I get it.

You are unable to refute my argument so you respond with childish attacks.

All accomplished was showing us you are not ready to discus this like an adult.

To be clear you failed to refute any of my points.
Your entire argument is based on trust in the government to run an efficient and effective program. The government has, historically, not been able to run efficient and effective programs. In fact, our government throws away money faster than a drug dealer in a strip club. The basis of your argument is a dream.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:19 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Perhaps you missed the part about about complying with all laws, rules, and regulations..
The legislator write the laws. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

The reasons business get away with what they do is because people tolerate it.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Your entire argument is based on trust in the government to run an efficient and effective program. The government has, historically, not been able to run efficient and effective programs. In fact, our government throws away money faster than a drug dealer in a strip club. The basis of your argument is a dream.
Efficiency is often times not a good thing for most people.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Where do you come up with the idea that anyone thinks jobs should be nonexistent? That isn't what I or the other poster are saying. We're saying that it isn't the purpose of a business to provide employment. The purpose of the business is to make money. Employees are hired as the need for more people increases and let go as the need diminishes, not because the business owner is giving away jobs. There isn't a successful business owner in the world who is going to a) hire people that they don't need or b) keep people who cause them to lose money.

Nobody deserves money. That's why wages are referred to as earnings; because you earn them. You either earn them by owning a business, or you earn them by working for someone else. Some people earn more than others. This doesn't mean that they are inherently evil, nor does it mean that anyone else is entitled to their money. Money is used to pay for goods and/or services. If you are providing either, the only thing you "deserve" is whatever amount you and the person you are providing them to agree upon. Not what other people think is fair, not whatever the market value of said goods/services is, only the amount you agree upon with the person you are providing to. When you work for a business, your skill set determines the value that the business is willing to pay you for providing the use of that skill set to them. People with rare skills or skills that are only acquired after a lot of training will naturally be more valuable to a business than people with common skills.

There will always be jobs available for those with minimal skills, but those jobs will always pay less than (also always going to be available) jobs that require more specialized skills. The entire argument about McJobs is ridiculous, because McJobs have always and will always exist. From the earliest settlements of humanity, there have been menial jobs done by people who merely survived on what they earned for those jobs while people with more important or specialized tasks were able to live in relative luxury. Every society, every community, every country, has always had some who were at the bottom of the economic heap and others who were at the top. Yet, here we are discussing it like it's some sort of new thing that needs an immediate solution. The only viable solution is to make yourself more valuable to whatever business you work for and negotiate a better deal for yourself or provide a good/service to a wider audience by starting your own business.
Yes but the natural ending of the proliferation of such condition is violence or plague

Old 02-15-2019, 12:41 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Local supermarket has rolled out a robot grocery clerk. It rolls around the store assisting customers, reporting spills, and even scans for shelf out of stocks.

And unlike the human grocery clerks, it does not call out, no show, come in drunk, or ***** about not being "paid enough"

Old 02-15-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Local supermarket has rolled out a robot grocery clerk. It rolls around the store assisting customers, reporting spills, and even scans for shelf out of stocks.

And unlike the human grocery clerks, it does not call out, no show, come in drunk, or ***** about not being "paid enough"
Increase taxes to fund a govt job for the displaced workers and voila problem solved. If people no show or come in drunk to a govt job then they get to live on the streets.

The people making poor choices need to ultimately suffer for it but good people who are dealt with treacherously by a brutal economic system WE created and enable need help.

Complaining about your mcpay is not in the same solar system as no show or showing up drunk. The fact you try to edge that in is offensive. I could even tell you you are a dangerous sociopath (if it’s true, which it sounds like it is) and that’s not the same as being lazy, incompetent, drunk or no show.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:25 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
^^This is why we now have proposals of a minimum guaranteed income for everyone. It has long been predicted there will be more people than jobs - that time is clearly fast approaching.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
^^This is why we now have proposals of a minimum guaranteed income for everyone. It has long been predicted there will be more people than jobs - that time is clearly fast approaching.
Unfortunately its going to be a very tumultuous violent time before we get there, the filthy rich are not just going to cede power. Rich people own politicians, media outlets, you name it.

People are going to have to get upset enough. As long as there are people that rely on unrealistic stock gains to pad their retirement they will keep voting against their own kids and grand kids.

I dont necessarily agree with a universal basic income but I think that the govt could drastically expand govt jobs. Agencies like the DOE, NASA, etc have been cut to the bone and higher education has been purposely priced out of reach so that people can study this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies