Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Trump 63 56.76%
Reparations Democrat Nominee 28 25.23%
Third Party 12 10.81%
Not vote at all 8 7.21%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 05:28 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
It will be a 14 trillion dollar investment over the span of many years.
Do you do stand-up comedy on the side? Because if you don't, you might want to consider starting, this stuff is hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 05:31 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
As an aside, I like what one black woman tweeted today (regarding Virginia): "When we said there should be more black faces in government, we should have been more specific".

Old 02-06-2019, 06:13 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Well, these are just my perimeters. The main thing is, reparations are necessary for black America as a group. Without it, we will perish into poverty and prison. As I said before, this day and age your life won't be determined by how hard you work, but by who your grandparents were. When I say "your life", I'm really referring to groups of people. There will be outliers, like your cousins.
So...you say that each person would get about $2700. Tell me how that will prevent blacks from "perish[ing] into poverty and prison". Melodramatic much, are you? There comes a time when people have to stop with the victim mentality and work on improving their lives. For example, my father could have chosen to play the victim and remain in poverty. Instead, he chose to better himself.

As for your arbitrary qualification that a person has to be 50% black to get in on the money, that is just wrong. For example, do you realize that in some states like LA up until fairly recently there were still laws on the books that said if a person was 1/32 black, their race will be listed as black on their birth certificates. Believe it or not, there are people with that small amount of black blood that did, indeed grow up in black communities and were considered to be black.

Not to mention, that there were slaves who were 1/8 black---Sally Heming's children come to mind.

Are you going to deny all the ancestors of those examples listed above reparations?

Just the idea of trying to implement reparations the word cluster**** comes to mind

Old 02-06-2019, 06:43 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So...you say that each person would get about $2700. Tell me how that will prevent blacks from "perish[ing] into poverty and prison". Melodramatic much, are you? There comes a time when people have to stop with the victim mentality and work on improving their lives. For example, my father could have chosen to play the victim and remain in poverty. Instead, he chose to better himself.

As for your arbitrary qualification that a person has to be 50% black to get in on the money, that is just wrong. For example, do you realize that in some states like LA up until fairly recently there were still laws on the books that said if a person was 1/32 black, their race will be listed as black on their birth certificates. Believe it or not, there are people with that small amount of black blood that did, indeed grow up in black communities and were considered to be black.

Not to mention, that there were slaves who were 1/8 black---Sally Heming's children come to mind.

Are you going to deny all the ancestors of those examples listed above reparations?

Just the idea of trying to implement reparations the word cluster**** comes to mind

Your dad had the GI Bill. Besides, it's not me who is saying the black community is going to perish into poverty and prison. The data says it. That $2700 number comes from a 100 billion reparations package. My 14 trillion would be an investment of almost 400k per person. We would receive a check of 30-40k each, and the other 360k would be applied to things like business loans, home loans, tuition, debt cancellation, etc.

As for the cut off, it's there for a reason. Of course I would add for those who are not American descendant of slaves, but yet they lived among us during the height of Jim Crow (This group would mostly consist of black immigrants), they could qualify for some reparations. Yet the priority would be American DOS. Those in this group would have to show some documents showing their families go back that far.

Now, I can't help those who are 1/32 black. The idea of reparations is about investing into the black community overall. This is a group thing, and not individual. The only thing I would say for those who are around black Americans, they would benefit indirectly from reparations. Reparations would create a wealth network among black people, where people of other ethnicity will willingly want to integrate with us.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
The North benefited from slavery. I mentioned the insurance companies, textile industry, etc. Slaves were worth more than all industry in the US combined in the 1800s. That's why you had all the mansions and plantations in the South. The average wealth in the South was higher than the average wealth in the North. The number one export in the country during those days was cotton.

If you really think about it, the wealth of the whole western world was built on slavery.
Your premise is based on an absurd notion that slaves produce more than free men. Men produce more when they are free to pursue their own interests.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:56 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Your premise is based on an absurd notion that slaves produce more than free men. Men produce more when they are free to pursue their own interests.
Free men earn wages. A heck of a lot more wealth can be produced when you don't have to pay your workers.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The only bit of advice I have for the op is, Don't hold your breath waiting for reparations.
It is never, ever going to happen.
Descendants of slaves never did a damned thing to earn reparations, so how are they entitled to it?

Bob.

well said bob. unless you can find someone who was a slave in 1862, and is alive today, they get NOTHING because they were never slaves. i would even allow reparations to be paid to the first generation of those born to former slaves, which means anyone born up to about 1885 who parents were slaves. after that forget it.

the key here though is they have to be alive TODAY. if not then no reparations can be paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
First before I who had nothing to do with slaves nor my ancestors, first maybe you'd better sue the native black Africans who participated in the slave trade, who helped catch the people who would be made into slaves. As i understand my ancestors were northerers, who settled in Maine, and therefore we had no slave holders in my family. therefore i owe you nothing.

again well said. and even though there may have been members of my family in the distant past that did own slaves(my family was rather diverse and lived across the original 13 colonies), we had nothing to do with slaves or slavery after the 13th and 14th amendments were put into effect. again find a living decsendant of mine that did have something to do with slavery, and get them to pony up any reparations that might be due.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:44 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
Your dad had the GI Bill. Besides, it's not me who is saying the black community is going to perish into poverty and prison. The data says it. That $2700 number comes from a 100 billion reparations package. My 14 trillion would be an investment of almost 400k per person. We would receive a check of 30-40k each, and the other 360k would be applied to things like business loans, home loans, tuition, debt cancellation, etc.

As for the cut off, it's there for a reason. Of course I would add for those who are not American descendant of slaves, but yet they lived among us during the height of Jim Crow (This group would mostly consist of black immigrants), they could qualify for some reparations. Yet the priority would be American DOS. Those in this group would have to show some documents showing their families go back that far.

Now, I can't help those who are 1/32 black. The idea of reparations is about investing into the black community overall. This is a group thing, and not individual. The only thing I would say for those who are around black Americans, they would benefit indirectly from reparations. Reparations would create a wealth network among black people, where people of other ethnicity will willingly want to integrate with us.
So you want to have debt cancellation but at the same time give out business loans and home loans? What exactly is the debt that is being cancelled?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
i never owned slaves, traded slaves, bought slaves, or had anything to do with slaves. The only kind of reparations i would support would be to allocate some funds to send those back to africa who want to go. a free one-way ticket.
So you never had anything to do with slaves, but they have to go "BACK" to Africa? If you didn't own slaves why have they came from Africa.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:50 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
I am white yet more times than not I vote for the lesser of two evils. The 2008 election in particular (Obama vs McCain) were the worst two choices possible.

Trump was the first time in my life that I voted for someone I liked and had passion for. Other elections had a more lesser of two evils aura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies