Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is wearing blackface racist?
Yes 70 58.82%
No 49 41.18%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Oh boo hoo! Someone was offended? Who cares? If each time someone offended another person, they were subject to being fired, shunned by society, or prosecuted for hurting someone's feelings, EVERY SINGLE ONE of us would be fired, shunned by society, and/or in jail.

How can you people not recognize this for what it is? This is the epitome of Cultural Marxism as proven by William Lind. Political Correctness is Cultural Marxism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w0TOJspijA
Nah. It’s racism. You don’t get to be the victim when you are the antagonist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
no

its stupid to do it NOW

but doesn't automatically mean you are racist...racist involves hate and feelings of superiority...what if I went to a Halloween party dressed as jimi Hendrix...wearing face paint...does that make me racist

Old 02-08-2019, 10:18 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Yes, given the history, blackface is racist. If you want to dress up as your favorite black celebrity for Halloween, you can do it without darkening your skin. You wouldn't need to do this if you dressed up as your favorite white celebrity, would you?
I disagree. A professional actor or actress would wear makeup on their skin to tone it to the correct shade for the role. And you are you address this question to? A white person dressing up as a white celebrity has the right skin colour. A white person dressing up as Pocahontas or Mulan might also darken their skin brown to look like more the part. Just as a blonde would wear a black wig to be Native American or Asian. And to be more Asian looking, most people would use eye makeup to make their eyes more "slanty-eyed". And being Asian myself, I would not have a problem with this.

Btw Dan Akroyd and John Belushi were smart to paint their faces blue for their Blues Brothers characters.

Otherwise, I have never dressed up like a white or black celebrity or character. Several times, people have suggested that I be Pocahontas because of my black hair and I am light brown in skin colour. I might in the future, although Elizabeth Warren has ruined the whole Native American thing for now.

Quote:
That being said, I think it's reasonable to forgive someone who made this mistake in the past and genuinely feels bad about it and is not showing racist tendencies today.
Agree. And young people in school, and away from their parents AND drinking alcohol usually make some really bad choices, all in the name of fun. And the theme of that party could have been pairs going as "victim and abuser". But typically at costume parties, those going strive to be outrageous and memorable. Going in black face is on par with a man in drag with gigantic boobs, stripper high heels and exaggerated makeup. Both are grotesque and in really bad taste, which is the effect they wanted, but neither are racist or sexist. At a costume party, being realistic is not the goal, but having a good time and making fun of their friends' costumes is.

I don't think that the VA governor should be made to resign over what happened when was in med school. Students in med school are under a lot of pressure and these parties are a way of blowing off steam.

It was a different time, and have to stop judging people's pasts by today's standards.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 AM

989 posts, read 456,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I disagree. A professional actor or actress would wear makeup on their skin to tone it to the correct shade for the role. And you are you address this question to? A white person dressing up as a white celebrity has the right skin colour. A white person dressing up as Pocahontas or Mulan might also darken their skin brown to look like more the part. Just as a blonde would wear a black wig to be Native American or Asian. And to be more Asian looking, most people would use eye makeup to make their eyes more "slanty-eyed". And being Asian myself, I would not have a problem with this.

Btw Dan Akroyd and John Belushi were smart to paint their faces blue for their Blues Brothers characters.

Otherwise, I have never dressed up like a white or black celebrity or character. Several times, people have suggested that I be Pocahontas because of my black hair and I am light brown in skin colour. I might in the future, although Elizabeth Warren has ruined the whole Native American thing for now.

Agree. And young people in school, and away from their parents AND drinking alcohol usually make some really bad choices, all in the name of fun. And the theme of that party could have been pairs going as "victim and abuser". But typically at costume parties, those going strive to be outrageous and memorable. Going in black face is on par with a man in drag with gigantic boobs, stripper high heels and exaggerated makeup. Both are grotesque and in really bad taste, which is the effect they wanted, but neither are racist or sexist. At a costume party, being realistic is not the goal, but having a good time and making fun of their friends' costumes is.

I don't think that the VA governor should be made to resign over what happened when was in med school. Students in med school are under a lot of pressure and these parties are a way of blowing off steam.

It was a different time, and have to stop judging people's pasts by today's standards.

This is probably the sanest post I've ever read on P&OC.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:23 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqlD-eZm1ck

Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 PM

17,413 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Black face is completely different than dressing up as Beyonce for Halloween.

One is meant in a derogatory fashion the other is meant to honor.

I despise Joy Behar with a energy of a thousand suns, but she never dressed in black face.

The Wayans weren't racist in White Chicks.

And I don't think the Virginia gov should resign either.

I'm so over everyone being butt hurt over everything.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:56 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Blackface is often done to demean or make fun of people of color.

So yes, I would call that racially motivated. Kind of like wearing a Hitler mustache.

Not a good idea.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Considering our nations history, you’d think most folks would realize the ignorance of putting on black face. Obviously history is not something that some folks have adequately learned from, given recent events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Stereotypes embodied in the stock characters of blackface minstrels not only played a significant role in cementing and proliferating racist images, attitudes, and perceptions worldwide, but also in popularizing black culture.[8] In some quarters, the caricatures that were the legacy of blackface persist to the present day and are a cause of ongoing controversy. Another view is that "blackface is a form of cross-dressing in which one puts on the insignias of a sex, class, or race that stands in opposition to one's own."[9]
I voted "yes" because I know the history of black face - it's not something we need to be doing or repeating. It's not "admiration", really, once you know the history.

Having said that, I think a lot of people don't know the history of it, and therefore don't understand why it actually is racist.

However, no black person needs to be whitening their skin to play the part of a white person, either. I'm not actually offended by it, but leave it to voice acting and wigs - although I'm sure someone is going to take offense to a fricken wig - guaranteed, because people get offended over the dumbest crap these days.

But black face, because of how it came about, should not be acceptable. Instead of railing on everyone and calling them every name in the book, now is a very good time to educate people and tell them why it's a very bad idea.

In response to mui: Hollywood is no longer allowed to portray white people as black people, and they are no longer allowed to portray white people as NDNs. If they have a role where the character is an NDN, they have to get an actual NDN to play the part. If they have a role where the character is a black person, they have to get an actual black person to play the part. They are not allowed to put non NDNs in NDN character roles, and they are not allowed to put non black people in black character roles...which is why it is so surprising that any celebrity in the past 30 or so years has actually donned blackface. Even if it's some parody, they really aren't supposed to be doing that.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Are Jews who make Jewish jokes, like Jerry Seinfeld, antisemites?

Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Are Jews who make Jewish jokes, like Jerry Seinfeld, antisemites?
Why not start another thread and ask it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies