Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is wearing blackface racist?
Yes 70 58.82%
No 49 41.18%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:28 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,677,358 times

Advertisements

Considering our nations history, you’d think most folks would realize the ignorance of putting on black face. Obviously history is not something that some folks have adequately learned from, given recent events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Stereotypes embodied in the stock characters of blackface minstrels not only played a significant role in cementing and proliferating racist images, attitudes, and perceptions worldwide, but also in popularizing black culture.[8] In some quarters, the caricatures that were the legacy of blackface persist to the present day and are a cause of ongoing controversy. Another view is that "blackface is a form of cross-dressing in which one puts on the insignias of a sex, class, or race that stands in opposition to one's own."[9]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 12:39 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,504,121 times
My comparison would be someone who wears a nazi costume for say a party or halloween. Totally and completely in bad taste and I wouldn't recommend or condone it. But I would not automatically label that person an anti-semite.

I do think there are appropriate times/places to wear this (historical re-enactment of war, or TV show/film). So for me I wouldn't automatically label the person, especially based on a photo decades old before everyone was so SJW/PC. I don't approve of the governor in questions comments but I wouldn't take this dug up photo as some huge scandal.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:45 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times
Today, yes.

However you have to judge people's past actions on the societal standards of the time. I wouldn't judge somebody for being homophobic in the 1970s an also wouldn't judge people as harshly for wearing a blackface. It has no place in today's society though.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:52 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,168,054 times
What isn't racist these days? Yawn!

Old 02-07-2019, 01:07 PM

1,874 posts, read 820,169 times
everything is racist who cares

Old 02-07-2019, 01:08 PM

5,992 posts, read 2,247,824 times
Yes, as it was when in the 1800's when Minstrel shows became popular in America. There was no hiding it and to this day no one has ever provided a reason why it should not be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show
Just incase you want to see how these shows were advertised or you may have misunderstood what blackface was used for.

What should worry many in Virginia is the Governor is a doctor and the Attorney General is a lawyer. That means both made decisions that changed peoples for better or worse. And that would have started to occur just after both stated they wore Black Face in college.

The governor was treating black PEDIATRIC patients in residency, fellowship and private practice (Pediatric Neurologist) just after this time as he was graduating from medical school. Training for a specific specialty like that is done in large trauma children's centers in urban mid-large size cities. Did he treat all his patient's fairly, was there bias, did it affect outcomes?

Old 02-07-2019, 01:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,932,513 times
Quite a few actors have worn klan hoods in movies. (Blazing Saddles).Is that racist? Are those actors, directors and producers racist? NO. Most of this is just nonsense.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:13 PM

26,661 posts, read 28,733,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Today, yes.

However you have to judge people's past actions on the societal standards of the time. I wouldn't judge somebody for being homophobic in the 1970s an also wouldn't judge people as harshly for wearing a blackface. It has no place in today's society though.
Mostly this.

Back in the days of minstrel shows, people didn't know any better. By the 1970s, they knew.

However, I don't consider wearing blackface as being anywhere near as racist as wearing KKK gear.

Blackface was a costume, not in very good taste, but a costume, just meant to be a costume. KKK were actual sadistic murderers who loved to terrorize people and thought it was fun to kill them. KKK is more like a Nazi=both wore uniforms and tortured and killed people.

Dressing up like Hitler is farther removed from us in time so may not shock or instill fear as much but it's still wrong. But dressing up like the KKK is unforgivable and definitely racist. We'd have to ask a black person to tell us if blackface is racist.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM

5,992 posts, read 2,247,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Quite a few actors have worn klan hoods in movies. (Blazing Saddles).Is that racist? Are those actors, directors and producers racist? NO. Most of this is just nonsense.

No.
But if I saw an actor wearing a KKK hood with no part in a movie for one while hanging out with his friend who is wearing Blackface and posing for a year book picture, hmmm Yea.

Let me help with a local example if I will since Florida has soo much fun about it.
If a black and white man were wearing cowboy hats, riding a horses, rounding cattle with the whip, while I the black man kept yelling " your a cracker", no one would care. But if I did that in the middle of downtown with my same white friend, some might consider that racist.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:37 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,406,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Mostly this.

Back in the days of minstrel shows, people didn't know any better. By the 1970s, they knew.

However, I don't consider wearing blackface as being anywhere near as racist as wearing KKK gear.

Blackface was a costume, not in very good taste, but a costume, just meant to be a costume. KKK were actual sadistic murderers who loved to terrorize people and thought it was fun to kill them. KKK is more like a Nazi=both wore uniforms and tortured and killed people.

Dressing up like Hitler is farther removed from us in time so may not shock or instill fear as much but it's still wrong. But dressing up like the KKK is unforgivable and definitely racist. We'd have to ask a black person to tell us if blackface is racist.
Even worse is if was a racist black-faced Nazi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies