Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 02:30 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It seems like only time I hear about the Confederate flag these days it is liberals trying to associate Republicans with it because they are worried black voters are becoming more open to the GOP.
Perhaps you aren't paying attention. The Confederate flag isn't a hit with Black conservatives either.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whoever had to die needed to die to end it. If that was thousands or millions, what the hell do I care? Not my problem. Frankly, I don’t think enough Southerners died in the conflict.

Moreover, I don’t give a damn about Lincoln’s intentions. The bottom line is that the war signaled the end of slavery and made it untenable beyond the war’s end.

Oh yeah, since you assert that Lincoln and the Republicans had no intention of ending slavery, don’t ever say that blacks owe fealty to the Republican Party because they ended slavery. Okay?

that sums up your feelings about the South, "not enough of them died"

I have a different take. Maybe if the African tribes weren't at war with each other and didn't sell blacks to the Europeans, there wouldn't have been so many Africans slaves in the Americas (remember Spain, France, Portugal did the same thing in their colonies) ......maybe not enough African tribes died in Africa. They still do the same thing today. You should deal with the root of the cause. Blacks didn't want blacks in Africa.

Spain, Portugal, and France ended slavery in their colonies without going to war and killing a large % of their population. That proves it could have been done but then again Lincoln didn't wage war to end slavery.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
'Having it both ways' is illustrated by the unreasonable & nonsensical expectation that African Americans claim the Confederate flag as 'their own' while denying the war is fought to keep them enslaved.

Orwellian:

"War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength.”
Beyond Orwellian. Plain stupid and dishonest. At the same time, it makes sense in a perverted way. We know what the Confederate cause was about. Since intimidation isn't legal, gaslighting is used. When that doesn't work, flat out lying is used.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Morill Tariff didn’t come into law until after the Southerners started secession. Too late.
The Morrill tariff was passed through the House of Representatives on May 10th, 1860. Which was nearly half a year before the election, and eight months before Lincoln was inaugurated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morril...#House_actions

The reason it took till March of 1861 to be signed into law, is because the senate was majority democrat until the new Congress came into office in 1861, after the Republicans won a landslide in the 1860 election.

The Republicans had campaigned heavily on the Morrill tariff. And its passage was considered inevitable.

None of the southern states seceded until after the 1860 election. But after watching the "Republican platform", they knew exactly what Lincoln and the Republicans planned to do once they took control of the government.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Correct - and that is reinforced when you look at when the bulk of Confederate monuments were erected - as a symbol of resistance to black people asserting their civil rights.
One example of this are the increase in schools named after Confederate soldiers during the late 1950s.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
And why are they associated with them? Because a racist has flown the Confederate flag? Don't they also fly the American flag? Is the American flag a symbol of "White-Supremacy"? Many people believe it is. Should we ban the American flag because it offends people?
Nice try at a red herring argument.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:52 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Outside of the "Blacks are brainwashed by the leftists" gaslighting line, I notice very few people can or will answer this question: Why aren't Blacks embracing the Confederate flag as part of their "southern heritage"? This is an important question to ask because. There is a major contrast between how many Whites view the Confederate flag vs how Blacks view the Confederate flag. And there are legitimate reasons for this. However, I'm noticing that said question is not being asked.
The reality is whites and blacks across the country live in very separate worlds and have separate realities, even when they have the same jobs and live right next to each other in the same neighborhoods. Even people who are referred to by many whites as "the good blacks" see the world very differently then them. For many blacks who grew up with segregation and in the Jim Crow South, the Confederate flag was used as a symbol of hate and disdain towards them and rightfully so they have no love for it. The majority of blacks, including those born and raised in the South know what's up and know what that flag has been used to represent. Believe me when I am in the circles of all black people, NONE of us have love for that flag. Some blacks may not admit to whites that they do not like the flag, because let's face it so many of us just want to fit in. People will will use all kinds of BS excuses to hide behind bigotry, using heritage as an excuse is one of them.

Reality is in this country is far too many whites do not care about the suffering we have systematically endured through history because of our skin. This even happens in the North as well. Black people are always told to "just get over it" and "to stop living in the past" by the same people who seem to have a major obsession with the past. The excuse of Heritage is nothing but a lie for these people!!

Old 02-10-2019, 02:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

I have a different take. Maybe if the African tribes weren't at war with each other and didn't sell blacks to the Europeans, there wouldn't have been so many Africans slaves in the Americas (remember Spain, France, Portugal did the same thing in their colonies) ......maybe not enough African tribes died in Africa. They still do the same thing today. You should deal with the root of the cause.

Spain, Portugal, and France ended slavery in their colonies without going to war and killing a large % of their population. That proves it could have been done but then again Lincoln didn't wage war to end slavery.
The United States wasn’t a Spanish, French or Portuguese possession. American Southerners were more stubborn, and had to have slavery taken from them by the sword. There was no other way. Southerners were a hardheaded lot, and had no intentions of ending slavery for decades to come. Death and war was absolutely necessary. It had to happen.

You’re cavalier because your ancestors weren’t going through slavery. So it’s easy for you to be insouciant.

So what if Africans were at war with each other? And? Europeans were at war with each other as late as the 1990’s in the Balkans where hundreds of thousands are killed. European tribes are responsible in the last 100 years alone for nearly 100 million deaths in two world wars and some of the worse ethnic genocides on the planet. Don’t wag your finger at me about Africa. African Americans AND African people got dragged into and killed in European tribal wars in the 20th Century.

This is about slavery in the Americas. This conversation has squat to do with Africa. Southern whites with their Bibles and high minded Christianity used a shockingly brutal system of torture, rape, and selling off of families to subjugate black people. So I’m supposed to feel bad for what happened to them during the war?

Ehhhh...no. I wish many more had died during the war. And I wish Southern infrastructure had been completely dismantled and destroyed so that the South would’ve needed a century to recover. As it was, they DID need nearly that long to put things back together.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:00 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nice try at a red herring argument.
Is the Confederate flag a symbol of white-supremacy? To who? Everyone?

The vast-majority of people who fly the Confederate flag are not white supremacists. And I find it both hilarious and obnoxious that they won't play the Dukes of Hazzard because their car has a confederate flag on top.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...te-flag-58510/

Who would have thought the Dukes of Hazzard was a show about white-supremacy?

So why do you believe the Confederate flag is associated with white-supremacists? Because some of them display that flag? But don't they also display the American flag? So isn't the American flag also associated with white-supremacy?

What is the difference? And please be specific.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:03 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

No different than a lot of the racists on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies