Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,674,444 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKl-RGWcW4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
In an era of those great .2% returns on savings or 1% on a short term CD.....whether or not I give the gubment a "loan" of a couple grand one way or the other matters not.

But I guess some people are so tight that even that $10 they "lost" will cause them to write long screeds about it.

That's about.....say, 3 minutes of an accountants time and 5-10 minutes of mine...

My dad says his dad (that's a long time ago) said to pick up a penny even if it's in the urinal. I can say this apple DID fall far from the tree.

I usually run the other way around...that is, I pay the government to borrow money from me (owe some interest on the taxes I have to pay). But it ain't much...or maybe I should look?

OK, on a dang good year I paid them $32 in total penalty.

Let's get back to talking about the political angles of the Trump Tax Reform. I don't want to call them "cuts" or reductions because they obviously are not. They are a change in distribution and more money borrowed.

The really strong base would vote for him even if they paid higher taxes. After all, they are cheering that the stock market hasn't gone anywhere....if they are willing to take that and other hits (more debt for their children), then they could care less about a few hundred either way. Heck, they may have sent that much to that scam to build the wall!

But those who pay MORE.....which is a really nice chunk of voting (relatively well off) Americans.....my guess is he will lose votes.

Here are swing states with a very high concentration of millionaires....most millionaires have 1-6 million, so these are the very people who may have expensive homes and 2nd homes and pay large amounts of state and local taxes.....so they will likely be hit.

Potential Trump Swing States with high concentrations....

TX
FL
PA
VA
MD
MN
CO
WI

Obviously mileage may vary, but I cannot imagine Trump had some crazy idea of punishing the people on the Main Line of Philadelphia or the Texans who have 2 or 3 houses.

My take? It's not earth shattering, but it could be part of a drip, drip, drip. All the starts (and Comey, Stein and Johnson and Russians, etc) had to perfectly align for Trump to win the EC...the more of those lucky breaks that fall away, the more change he has of losing.

I'm not making any predictions. After all, GWB was re-elected. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people (HLM).

Last edited by craigiri; 02-11-2019 at 07:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post

Just finished my tax returns...

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

Congrats however, now I know I'm voting for ANYONE but Trump.

Relax...you got the rest of it in your paychecks throughout 2018, back when it really came in handy.

Why do you want to give the government an interest-free loan, anyway? Because if you get a tax refund, that's what you're doing, whether you realize it or not.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,057,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
This is so disingenuous.

Did people look to see how much more per paycheck they were getting all year? Duh

Also, it is not hard to to do a quarterly check of where you currently are throughout a year with your take home pay and taxes. There even nice calculators online to use for this. You see where you are and make the necessary adjustment to your withholding's.

Rocket science I tell you!

But no. Instead people are like "hey! where's my refund!". It was in your weekly, bi-weekly or monthly paychecks you buffoons! The Govt never stole it from you.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,674,444 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt7xZuRwyiA

Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 PM

958 posts, read 305,072 times
Quote:

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

Sorry your blue state gobbled it up.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
A lot of people got screwed, he is not alone, they are not trolls.
Trump is so crazy he may just reverse some of it and give more money away if the feedback is bad.

Don't put anything past him....and such a deal would get through the House also.

8,750 posts, read 3,126,230 times
Gotta love the slaves arguing over which scrap of pig organs Massa is giving them for dinner tonight.

958 posts, read 305,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So funny how many of these trolls are saying the exact same thing, using the same exact figures and arguing the exact same thing.

It's almost like it's only one troll who's trolling many different forums..... hmmm...
Soros organizations put out the script just a few days ago.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 PM

30,280 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:

"Getting back..." ???

You're doing your taxes all wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies