Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 AM

30,697 posts, read 21,573,752 times

Advertisements

And peeps still have to pay the healthcare fine. So much for it going away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 AM

17,041 posts, read 12,663,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Just finished my tax returns...

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

Congrats however, now I know I'm voting for ANYONE but Trump.
Uh silly point but.

THIS is how it should have been bolded

Just finished my tax returns...

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

Congrats however, now I know I'm voting for ANYONE but Trump.

the amount you get back is a free loan to the feds.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,609,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So funny how many of these trolls are saying the exact same thing, using the same exact figures and arguing the exact same thing.

It's almost like it's only one troll who's trolling many different forums..... hmmm...
Or he’s telling the truth and that bothers you. A lot of people are saying the same thing again where there is smoke there is fire.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:08 AM

17,882 posts, read 7,094,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Or he’s telling the truth and that bothers you. A lot of people are saying the same thing again where there is smoke there is fire.
You mean a lot of liberals are saying the same thing. Not people, there's a difference.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:25 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,609,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You mean a lot of liberals are saying the same thing. Not people, there's a difference.
I’ve read reports of Trump supporters being disappointed as well. look it up. No, there is no difference liberals and conservatives bleed the same color if cut. We’re all still Americans I know that last one bothers you.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:40 AM

89,596 posts, read 45,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In an era of those great .2% returns on savings or 1% on a short term CD.....whether or not I give the gubment a "loan" of a couple grand one way or the other matters not.

But I guess some people are so tight that even that $10 they "lost" will cause them to write long screeds about it.

That's about.....say, 3 minutes of an accountants time and 5-10 minutes of mine...

My dad says his dad (that's a long time ago) said to pick up a penny even if it's in the urinal. I can say this apple DID fall far from the tree.

I usually run the other way around...that is, I pay the government to borrow money from me (owe some interest on the taxes I have to pay). But it ain't much...or maybe I should look?

OK, on a dang good year I paid them $32 in total penalty.

Let's get back to talking about the political angles of the Trump Tax Reform. I don't want to call them "cuts" or reductions because they obviously are not. They are a change in distribution and more money borrowed.

The really strong base would vote for him even if they paid higher taxes. After all, they are cheering that the stock market hasn't gone anywhere....if they are willing to take that and other hits (more debt for their children), then they could care less about a few hundred either way. Heck, they may have sent that much to that scam to build the wall!

But those who pay MORE.....which is a really nice chunk of voting (relatively well off) Americans.....my guess is he will lose votes.

Here are swing states with a very high concentration of millionaires....most millionaires have 1-6 million, so these are the very people who may have expensive homes and 2nd homes and pay large amounts of state and local taxes.....so they will likely be hit.

Potential Trump Swing States with high concentrations....

TX
FL
PA
VA
MD
MN
CO
WI

Obviously mileage may vary, but I cannot imagine Trump had some crazy idea of punishing the people on the Main Line of Philadelphia or the Texans who have 2 or 3 houses.

My take? It's not earth shattering, but it could be part of a drip, drip, drip. All the starts (and Comey, Stein and Johnson and Russians, etc) had to perfectly align for Trump to win the EC...the more of those lucky breaks that fall away, the more change he has of losing.

I'm not making any predictions. After all, GWB was re-elected. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people (HLM).
Exactly. Trump's tax reform was NOT a tax cut for the rich, like the inane propaganda the left tried to spread. The wealthy are, in fact, getting hit with higher effective federal income tax rates. Since that is EXACTLY what the left always "say" they want, WHY all the whining and complaining about Trump accomplishing exactly that?

Again...

Quote:
"A $1 million-plus wage earner came to her tax preparer last weekend to see what the Trump tax cuts, which went into effect for the 2018 tax year, would mean for her tax return due April 15. And boy, was she disappointed. Last year, she deducted $245,500 in real estate taxes, state income taxes and personal property taxes. This year her deduction for these state and local taxes was limited to just $10,000, because of the new SALT cap.

“It’s a real hit,” says her tax pro, Claudia Hill, an enrolled agent in Cupertino, California. “This is why people who have this kind of situation are screaming.”

...To fully benefit from the reduction in the top income tax rate, you’d have to live in a state with no state income tax, says tax lawyer Kaye Thomas, who figures that California’s highest earners are facing a federal effective rate that’s 2.7 percentage points higher in 2018 than 2017 because of the interaction between state and federal taxes. (He explains the math in Tax Reform’s Wealthy Losers)."
Wealthy Taxpayers Screaming About Lost Deductions Under Trump Tax "Cuts"

Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 AM

7,412 posts, read 2,727,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
Loser talk. Instead of griping, why not strive to be one of the 1% you think are so lucky.

Notice not one single leftwing leader will ever exhort their followers to try harder, work harder, be successful. They'll never do that. Instead, they'll tell people how they are victims. and how they should hate the Trumps and the Cheesemonts of the world.
Are The Cheesemonts a new religion or political party?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 AM

79,039 posts, read 61,188,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’ve read reports of Trump supporters being disappointed as well. look it up. No, there is no difference liberals and conservatives bleed the same color if cut. We’re all still Americans I know that last one bothers you.
We're getting swarmed with anecdotal reports where people leave out key information and are generally just citing the amount of their RETURN and not that they got more in their paycheck during the year.

THat being said, it has already been widely reported that there would be some doing better and some worse so that is not a debatable issue.

But we have people trying to portray it that everyone got an increase except the fat cats which is dishonest. Clearly is a range of those impacted with people with higher incomes with high state tax and property taxes being the most impacted.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 AM

89,596 posts, read 45,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Trump is so crazy he may just reverse some of it and give more money away if the feedback is bad.

Don't put anything past him....and such a deal would get through the House also.
No, his Admin will just have to go on a massive campaign to educate the perpetually stupid.

HOW on earth do people not get that having less withheld from one's paychecks throughout the year means one's tax refund at the end of the year will be smaller? Is most of the country really that mathematically illiterate? /SMH

Old 02-12-2019, 06:51 AM

16,786 posts, read 8,272,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, his Admin will just have to go on a massive campaign to educate the perpetually stupid.

HOW on earth do people not get that having less withheld from one's paychecks throughout the year means one's tax refund at the end of the year will be smaller? Is most of the country really that mathematically illiterate? /SMH
Most people prefer having more taken out so that they do not owe more after Christmas and Holiday season.

By not having that return a lot of credit card and other bills will not be getting paid off.

This tax cut is the same POS as the flat tax in NC. It did not work and still does not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies