Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 09:08 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Then that's on you.
Exactly, which is why I don't pay any store a "membership fee" to shop there. Millions of others are in the exact same position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 09:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Careful......you realize the millennials see us Gen Xrs as being part of the “get off my lawn” crowd too don’t you? Angry millennials often use the label baby boomers and Gen Xrs in the same sentence, usually one where we are lumped together as “the older folks” they resent. We are not their friends....remember that.
Ha. I have an issue with someone who can't look me in the eye because they live on a cell phone, trust me. But that and the truth about the economy are 2 different things.

Yet you have an absolute zombie like mass of boomers and gen xers who seem to think they were born during the depression and that spending on electronics is the reason the situation exists.

It's ..just really dumb. There 's no other way to put it.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:09 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Ding ding: those schools have gone up disproportionately in cost relative to incomes as well.
Same premise... They're larger than small private liberal arts colleges, they have a MUCH larger alumni network, which makes a HUGE difference in hiring opportunities.

Getting it yet? Even trying to think outside your little box yet? Just for a second?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:10 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Have you ever watched that series on the Discovery Channel called "Dirty Jobs?" As I remember, Mike Rowe did 95% of his dirty jobs that Americans were doing, not illegal aliens. So we Americans are doing many dirty, nasty, disgusting jobs.

Yep.

But there's not as many available and they don't pay as well as they used to.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
There used to be a show on CNBC called Til Debt Do Us Part. The financial expert would come and meet with a couple and go over their finances. They were usually pretty deep in debt and often had no idea how much. Inevitably, their was something they were spending huge amounts on that was completely nuts. One time, they had a woman on who was buying tons of clothes for her tiny baby (which most of us know is kind of dumb) because they outgrow them so fast. She had a whole closet of stuff, much of it with tags will on it. The expert would give them assignments to get their budget on track. It was a great show. I was sad to see it end. But it really showed how ridiculous a lot of people are with $$.
And you didn't have just as many people like that 40 years ago?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Same premise... They're larger than small private liberal arts colleges, they have a MUCH larger alumni network, which makes a HUGE difference in hiring opportunities.

Getting it yet? Even trying to think outside your little box yet? Just for a second?
You are hopeless. I don't even know why I continue to bother.

Listen:

Both private and public schools have increased in cost disproportionately to incomes.
That's the point that keeps sailing right over your head. The basics of American life cost a lot more now then they did in the good old days. Period. Home, education, health care.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 AM

36,547 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Because it increased the supply of labor while.demand was slowly declining due to increases in technology and automation.

Increased tolerance and use of illegal labor also is a contributing factor.......the nonsense argument that "they're just doing the jobs Americans won't do" notwithstanding.

There may have been some truth to that argument at one time, back when most Illegal laborers were ditch diggers, fruit pickers, maids etc.

But that's not all they do here anymore.

Illegal labor has all but taken over skilled construction jobs in many areas of the country.

Jobs that used to be good paying alternatives for those who either didn't want to go to college or couldn't afford to.

Now the wages have been driven down so much that the clich'e has become a self fufilling prophecy.
If women and men could not hold the same jobs how did it affect the supply and demand significantly.
Working women began entering the job market for the same positions single women already held; elementary level school teachers, secretaries, stewardess, waitress, maid, hair dresser, etc. Jobs that already paid less than a typical mans job.

The competition for good jobs, the same jobs men do, from women and illegals and foreign visa holders has basically been over the last 10-15 years while "wage stagnation" began about 1980. Most of those wages have increased yet purchasing power has not. Legally employers can not pay an employee less due to their gender. Women have been fighting for fair and equal wages for some time. I cant imagine there are multitudes of women who are going to say, hey I'll do that job that man is doing for 3 dollars less on the hour. I don't see a lot of women working construction type jobs. On the other hand illegals and foreign works are willing to accept less pay. Even the lower wages is more than they can earn in their own country and their lifestyle allows them to live more cheaply than US citizens. We have also seen an increase in outsourcing, technology and automation as you stated, more $$ staying in the hands of the top earners and a shift from many smaller employers to fewer large employers.
So simply saying because more women joined the work force in 1960 doesn't really explain anything.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 AM

804 posts, read 546,422 times
Well let me answer this right with a history of my family among many things you might or might not agree with. This is my opinion about this idea.

Here is the thing. My grandmother and his sister might have had children around age 12 and 14. But that not did not stop them from gaining work through education marrying and owning there own property, expensive apartment, car, money down on house. My grandmother used her own money and non of it came from her husband who she divorced ( not the fellow that gave her kid before that ).

Back then our elders knew what to do and how to do things. Nowadays people are so stupid and scared they let television and the federal government along with propaganda and suggestive content tell them what to do and how to live.

I will admit I am a victim of that. If I have never had been introduced to video-games, the way I was or even been left in front of a television for most of my time. I could have been an architect, doctor, chemist, or even a famous painter. I am not saying my life is wrong. I am saying the generation our parents grew up in.

AKA the 1950-1990 ( 2004 ) was possible the greatest generation group on the planet. They had a chance to experience peace and had the opportunity to fight for it. While they might have been and are still being manipulated I have to wonder.

For example.

My cousin had sexual advance by a relative not on my side of the family. They put her inside of a mental hospital. For all those years nobody cared about her really. Her neck has spine markings on it. Why? Because she is not holding her head up right and normal way. Because nobody talked to her or told her about the world, or gave her hope.

Her mother was too busy "living her life" with a man she cheated on with. While her father made a tactical decision to take the son and leave the daughter with her.

The government instead gave her pills. Pills that made her loopy and suicidal. The government cohered her parents into pushing forward with a case. Making her an incompetent willing victim.

She tried to escape mental place one day. It was on the news as well. They locked down the place. Apparently an employee made friends with her and she even CLIMBED UP A FIRE ESCAPE.

Now she is inside some sort of religious strong hold place.

SHE PRACTICALLY HAS NO EDUCATION, AND NO EXPERIENCE IN LIFE. YET SHE HAS THE KNOWLEDGE TO KNOW SHE DOES NOT WANT TO BE THERE AND WOULD RATHER BE WITH STRANGE MEN.

She is hitting 40. That was possible the last time she was normal. Before the pills, before the mental place, or even before the religious place.

THAT IS TEN TIMES STUPIDER then my grandmother owning $8000 valued apartment, and still maintained her drivers license, and takes her travels back to her homeland.

If it was the 1980's/1990's and my grandmother or her sister had gone through this. I would probably never exist. My great uncles would never exist. My grandmother would be inside of an mental asylum. My entire family history would NOT EVEN HAPPEN.

A. Grew up on a big 50 acre farm land / Came here from Europe with real Gold B. had children around 12 and 14 and did not drop out of school / Grand mother

Our fathers and even son-less grandfathers would rather spend there life savings and nest eggs on Yatches, expensive cars ( may they be old or new ), and fast women.

My grandfather ( mother side ) had practically $500,000 on him and a huge chunk of it went to a woman young as me at the time. College education, Car, Vacation, child care ( she had a kid ), and even Nip&Tuck ( plastic surgery ). This woman left him and got her self beat up, child services searched for her, and eventually overdosed on synthetic drugs and died.

My father poured thousand upon thousands of dollars to rebuild a house that was his mothers. After his mother passed, so he could have a place to retire for himself. He gave that money to one of his brothers who insults me and calls me "A waste of humanity" and then my father claims "Maybe somebody in our family could become something useful"

Meanwhile my mother his initial wife struggled with me on her own because he physically abused her, because he could not be honest with telling her about getting somebody ( that is not his wife ) pregnant. Then not wanting to put me on his insurance as a child, to not wanting to send me to private school.

.................................................. .....

Nobody can live on a single family income in any reality. It was never a reality at all.

It is like that television show "Shameless" all the viewers are shameless like the show. They are that selfish and now we are living inside of their ( our parents shadows ).

Think of it like this in the year 2009. I have a cousin. She got pregnant at 16. No schooling, just stopped going, and stop studying. She tried working, she eventually tried finding another man, who got her pregnant again. This guy even abused her which resulted in a restraining order. She went through shelter systems with her two sons.

However we go back to the merry age of 1970 something.

I have an aunt who had kid at 16. Did that stop her from attending school? Nope. Did that stop her from holding a decent job and getting married and giving birth to my cousin of my age? She passed of cancer, and then my cousin of same age 23-24 ( at the time ) passed BUT SHE SURVIVES THROUGH HER DAUGHTER SHE HAD AT 16. However in reality she spent most of her life inside her mothers home, which became hers.

It is like that film "Juno" for some reason our parents, and grand parents had some kind of gameplan for children, but for some reason during the time of our parents that gameplan had changed.

It became a plan to become something, or be somebody that has no home base, that has no ground to stand on. That has nothing to attribute from or to nothing at all.

So it is more like. Have kids with as many different women you can then just find a tree to live under and forget about doing the right thing. That is the mentality of it all.

I want to do the right thing but I am powerless ( money wise ) and or to weak minded ( lacking direction ) and maybe I am not healthy enough ( physical appearance ). However that is the reality. Just make kids and do not care like the gentiles that we are told to be. Manimals being raised and grazed and bred for war, sex, living robots, replacement parts, and fuel ( plasma/blood ) for those who could afford it.

It is part of this evil game of Keep as many people away from living normal and being free minded. When they have the gold get them to give it up as fast as possible. My grandmother lived her entire life and while she had many things of property she never really got to enjoy any of it.

Like some random guy said "You did the wrong thing. You saved up all of your money and gave it away to your family". If that is the wrong thing then what is the right thing? Just abandon them like a joke and hope for the best.

Nobody can do it alone. May it be the government, family, friends, strangers, nobody can

Like this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYEmL0d0lZE The little bird husband goes out to get the worm. Living on the edge of life.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Ha. I have an issue with someone who can't look me in the eye because they live on a cell phone, trust me. But that and the truth about the economy are 2 different things.

Yet you have an absolute zombie like mass of boomers and gen xers who seem to think they were born during the depression and that spending on electronics is the reason the situation exists.

It's ..just really dumb. There 's no other way to put it.
Your right, electronics spending is not the only reason the problem exists. It is a part of the problem though. Think of all the things we pay for today that we did not thirty years ago. Cell phones, internet service, cable or satellite tv, satalite radio just to name a few. For a family of four the tech bill could easily be 500 a month.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 AM

1,991 posts, read 901,694 times
Around here, everyone drives new pickups and SUVs. The price of those vehicles are more than I paid for my first house. Throw in a mortgage, college loans, and private school tuition and it’s no wonder that it takes two incomes to keep up with the Jones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies